VOGONS

First post, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've a revision 1.0 Epox EP58MCP3C-M motherboard, running an AMD K6-2 500 CPU.

According to documentation it tops out at 5.0X multiplier and 100FSB - there is suggestion (but couldn't find the info) the board supports an undocumented 5.5X multiplier and 112FSB, does anyone know the right config?

The other option to overclock is 95FSB and 6X multiplier (setting 2X for the K6-2 puts it to 6X) @ 570Mhz, however it appears this does reduce performance more than you'd think.

Thanks

JB

Reply 1 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual linked in a another post on Vogons shows a 5.5 multiplier, but perhaps it's a different board revision? http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Epox/ma … als/58mvp3c.pdf

I don't see anything anywhere about bus speeds higher than 100 MHz, but you could run a higher clocked K6-2+ or K6-3+ at 600 MHz (6x100) .

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 7, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also try to avoid 6x. Crazy thing I do is get out a piece of paper and write out all the combinations possible of the jumper positions (ie if it is 4 jumpers you have a max 16 combinations) then I set the multiplier low like 3x so my voltage is adequate if I hit a high FSB. Try each combo, when the machine boots up and BIOS shows the clock speed you can quickly determine the FSB you landed.

Last edited by Zeerex on 2022-05-09, 10:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be sure, your board does not have the 5.5 position as shown in the manual I linked to?

I had very poor luck overclocking K6-2 CPUs the few times I tried it, and even on the K6 plus CPUs, 100 MHz is an excellent overclock. If you can get it to run stable at 5.5x100, that would be pretty good for a standard K6-2.

I have an Epox MVP3G-M, which has a jumper setting for 112 MHz FSB, and can go even higher once you've set it to that speed, but the 124 and 133 MHz FSB settings are in the CMOS settings. The K6VB3+ is limited to jumper/dip switch settings of 100 MHz FSB, but I read a post on this forum that there is a BIOS that allows higher speeds for that board, possibly the same is true for this one.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a decent photo of the area around the J3 selection jumper block then it might be possible to work out if the clock generator has other options that you might be able to make a modification to select. It looks like they might be doing a unary to binary conversion so a single jumper sets the 3 frequency bits, and another jumper sets the 3 multiplier bits. There a small chance it might just mean putting multiple jumpers on at the same time, but don't try that unless you're fairly sure it won't break things.

Reply 6 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try SoftFSB and see if you can raise the FSB that way. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/softfsb.html

Reply 7 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest BIOS for that board supports the K6 plus CPUs: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

And this post says that it works fine with a K6-3+: Re: Best (Super) Socket 7 motherboard?