VOGONS

First post, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an ASUS P2B motherboard that seems to post just fine but reports an error in the CPU temperature sensor. The effect is that while it boots the CPU fan never starts (tested a few different CPUs and different fan headers on the board). I know there are windows utilities to set CPU fan speed but is there a DOS utility?

A Sound Test for as many games as I can find at SNDTST.com

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it never starts from any header, then it's quite obviously dead.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also think it could be dead. I had a similar problem on a 440BX board (although that one still showed CPU temp), and no matter what I did (reflashing the BIOS, trying different settings), the fans never worked.

In the end I just got a molex adapter to connect the fans directly to the power supply.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAICR, Pentium 2 fans typically were always spinning when powered on (no PWM controller and fan headers of the era did not feature variable voltage output), someone please correct me if wrong .

Additionally, from a theoretical system design point of view, it would be pretty self defeating if motherboard logic was designed to not power a fan when a thermal sensor was either not working or reporting anomalous or out of range values.

Reply 4 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sndtst wrote on 2022-05-15, 20:41:

I have an ASUS P2B motherboard that seems to post just fine but reports an error in the CPU temperature sensor. The effect is that while it boots the CPU fan never starts (tested a few different CPUs and different fan headers on the board). I know there are windows utilities to set CPU fan speed but is there a DOS utility?

The first logical thing to do is to measure on the fan headers and see if there is any power delivered.
Different cpus/headers/software won't help in this case.

Reply 5 of 10, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unrelated, but the Compaq SS7 board I have has a 4-pin CPU fan header, though the original fan had only a 1 pin connector + a molex power connector. I wanted to replace the fan, so I connected a 50mm fan to the header. Started smoking as soon as I turned it on... guess I'll use molex power for it too. I'm not even sure why it started to smoke, given that the voltages seemed right with a multimeter.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 6 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote:

AFAICR, Pentium 2 fans typically were always spinning when powered on (no PWM controller and fan headers of the era did not feature variable voltage output), someone please correct me if wrong .

ASUS P3B-F has fan controller which can adjust voltage at least on CPU header via SpeedFan.

Reply 7 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-16, 15:44:
darry wrote:

ASUS P3B-F has fan controller which can adjust voltage at least on CPU header via SpeedFan.

TY, good to know. Do you know if there is any logic in the BIOS that can be enabled to allow automatic fan control based on temperature (at least on the P3B-F) ?

Reply 8 of 10, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For old dell laptops there is one tool for dos:
https://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html
https://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/i8kfan.html

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 9 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote:

Do you know if there is any logic in the BIOS that can be enabled to allow automatic fan control based on temperature (at least on the P3B-F) ?

No. I think it was one of the features for ASUS utility for Windows called Smart Doctor.