VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys.

Most of my retro PC setups use modern 2.0 speakers - specifically the Logitech Z200 witch I find to have decent audio quality for a decent price, and also come in white!!!

The problem is they are not magnetically shielded and that's annoying. I have to keep the speakers at least 20cm away from my monitors, making my setups all but compact. I have too many retro setups and not enough room.... I have a few period correct shielded speakers, but all of them are very cheap basic noname speakers and sound horrible. High end stuff wasn't really a thing in my country - nobody would shell out the $$$ for Roland or Creative computer speakers as they would sometimes cost more then a Yamaha OPL3-SAx....

Do any of you know if it's possible to modify modern speakers like the Z200 and add magnetic shielding?

I took apart a pair of old speakers and they seem to have a metal cup glued over the magnet. One solution would be to destroy a set of these (witch I don't really want to do) and glue the cups over the drivers on the Z200, but that would only work if the magnets on both drivers are the same size or the ones on the donor drivers are slightly bigger then the ones on the Z200... witch they are not.

What about aluminum foil? Aluminum is diamagnetic, would lining the inside of the Z200's shield the monitor? Is there anything special about the metal cups found on old speakers or is it just plain steel?

[EDIT] on second thought maybe I should have posted this in "Sound"...

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can only use magnetic material to do magnetic shielding. The shield diverts the field away from what you need to protect and ideally you need an enclosed shape but that is difficult to achieve without some serious metalwork....

I use a flattened piece of PSU cover at my desk and it provides mostly good result, image is only very slightly off instead of fully messed up :

IMG_8821.jpg
Filename
IMG_8821.jpg
File size
410.26 KiB
Views
File comment
No shielding
File license
Public domain

Here is without that sheet between speaker and monitor :

IMG_8822.jpg
Filename
IMG_8822.jpg
File size
362.89 KiB
Views
File comment
With shielding
File license
Public domain

Be sure to degauss the monitor after putting the shield in place, it will equalize the new magnetic environment on the mask in the tube.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hahaha I just ran into this problem the other day actually.

My solution was to move the speakers further away from the monitor, 🤣.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 5, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My solution is to use 2.1 speakers - Logitech S200. They cost me €5. Satellite speakers next to the monitor are tiny while the subwoofer sits underneath the desk. Power switch and volume control is on one of the satellites.

Cheap speakers like S200 tend to have a problem with humming, but it is solvable, see http://www.jpf.de/jpf/logitech_s200_humming/page_01.htm.

I would never recommend 2.0 for PC.

As far as magnetic shielding is concerned, perhaps you could glue a metal sheet inside speakers that are close to the monitor. That metal sheet could be cut out from an old PC case. Same trick should work for transformers too close to circuit boards. Metal sheet just needs to be isolated not to short anything.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

small tin can cut in half placed over the speaker's magnet do same as original shielded speakers design, don't have to be that tight fit.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlexZ wrote on 2022-05-16, 17:28:

I would never recommend 2.0 for PC.

I could see using 2.1 for space saving reasons, but there are really good 2.0 speakers out there (AudioEngine for example).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards