VOGONS

Slotket Tualatin mod journey

Topic actions

First post, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Basically I got a great deal on a 1.4GHz tualatin cpu (10€!) so I thought that maybe I should give it a try to mod a slotket/cpu to see if I can get it working on my 440bx system.
The motherboard is a ABIT BX6 rev 2, the IC that controls the voltages for Vcore is CS5165 and it should support the lower voltages.
I also read around old forum threads that people had gotten the mod working on this motherboard.

But before I attempt the mod I need to get a working slotket, verify that it supports coppermine and then do the mod on a more common tualatin.
I have one marked PII CPU CARD Version 1.1 that has FC PGA support, I think, the deal is with this card that I cant seem to get it to work with a coppermine CPU. The cpu Im trying with is SL3Y3.
Ive tried different pin configurations but all I get is a black screen.

So if anyone has any experience with this peticular card I would appriciate some feedback!

If this slotket is dead then I got another slotket on the way, a 370SPC Rev.1.0 on that card there is a header for selecting coppermine.

Also, I have no way of ruling out if the CPU is dead. I only have this one slot1 motherboard around.

Attachments

Last edited by filurkatten on 2022-06-11, 10:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filurkatten wrote on 2022-05-19, 22:14:
I have one marked PII CPU CARD Version 1.1 that has FC PGA support, I think, the deal is with this card that I cant seem to get […]
Show full quote

I have one marked PII CPU CARD Version 1.1 that has FC PGA support, I think, the deal is with this card that I cant seem to get it to work with a coppermine CPU. The cpu Im trying with is SL3Y3.
Ive tried different pin configurations but all I get is a black screen.
So if anyone has any experience with this peticular card I would appriciate some feedback!
If this slotket is dead then I got another slotket on the way, a 370SPC Rev.1.0 on that card there is a header for selecting coppermine.

The PII CPU CARD Version 1.1 is designed for Mendocino Celerons - you can read more about it here:
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
The 370SPC Rev.1.0 works fine with Coppermine, I have one myself - see attached:

Filename
370SPC Rev.doc
File size
85.5 KiB
Downloads
60 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your reply!
I read the linked thread and then made the mod according to;
http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/
So, one jumper wire on the back and then I isolated the AM2 pin.
This got my coppermine CPU working with the correct voltage. 😀

Now to get the Tualatin running.
Should I just try at first to isolate the three required pins, AN3, AK4 and AJ3?
And if that doesnt work do the bridge from AK4 to AK26 on the CPU?
Also, from different sources I have seen that sometimes a 1k resistor is used between the AK4 - AK26 jumper, is this just for a pullup saftey and is it required?

Reply 3 of 49, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filurkatten wrote on 2022-05-20, 07:10:
Thanks for your reply! I read the linked thread and then made the mod according to; http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/ So, one […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your reply!
I read the linked thread and then made the mod according to;
http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/
So, one jumper wire on the back and then I isolated the AM2 pin.
This got my coppermine CPU working with the correct voltage. 😀

Now to get the Tualatin running.
Should I just try at first to isolate the three required pins, AN3, AK4 and AJ3?
And if that doesnt work do the bridge from AK4 to AK26 on the CPU?
Also, from different sources I have seen that sometimes a 1k resistor is used between the AK4 - AK26 jumper, is this just for a pullup saftey and is it required?

If you got the voltage selection part sorted, then yes, that's what you need to do.

I'd recommend simply desoldering the AN3, AK4 and AJ3 pins from the slotket instead of trying to isolate the corresponding CPU pins. They can easily be soldered back if you change your mind.

Also, jumper AK4-AN11 instead of AK4-AK26. I don't remember exactly why this was preferable, but it was well motivated 😀

Modded a 370SPC slotket for Tualatin some years ago, posted about it here. Used it in a Abit BH6 board where you select voltage in the BIOS setup, so never had to do any voltage mods.

In retrospect, it would probably have been a lot easier to just cut the trace going between AK4 and the edge connector, instead of desoldering the pin and isolate it the way I did. It's also easy enough to bridge the cut if you want to restore the slotket at some point.

Reply 4 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did isolate the pin for the coppermine mod with the tape method.
First open up the socket and cut a small piece of tape. Then applied it with tweezers over the contact in the socket and reassemble.

Also saw that instead of the jumper for AK4-AK26 you coul use AK4-AG1

AG1 seems to also be a VTT as AN11 is.
AG1 is a bit closer then AN11 so that maybe is preferable.
Would be interesting to know why VTT is preferable to the PWRGD.

Reply 5 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2022-05-20, 09:46:

Also, jumper AK4-AN11 instead of AK4-AK26. I don't remember exactly why this was preferable, but it was well motivated 😀

The AK4 mod variants are described in the first section of text here:
http://www.geocities.ws/_lunchbox/tualeron_slot1_bx_mod.html

Reply 6 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An update.
I did the first test of a tualatin mod.
I desoldered the reqired pins from the socket, then I bridged AK4 to AN11, VTT.
But the system didnt boot.
I measured the Core voltage from a testpoint on the slotket and got 1.37V.
Maybe the VID pins setting is incorrect and need to be corrected. (The switches didnt seem to change voltages at all when testing with the coppermine cpu)
Or maybe in this system the bridge from AK4 to AK26 is the way to go.
I will first try to change the bridge before continuing.

Reply 7 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filurkatten wrote on 2022-05-20, 22:27:

Maybe the VID pins setting is incorrect and need to be corrected. (The switches didnt seem to change voltages at all when testing with the coppermine cpu)

What setting do you use ? - just curious.

Reply 8 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The yellow jumpers i have tried;
Up, down, down, down, up
And
Up, up, up, down, up

Those configurations worked with the coppermine, neither let me change the voltage thou.
But that I can do in the bios if needed.
Also the fsb I can change in bios.

The switches I have tried with the coppermine,
On off on on on for 1.65,
All off,
All on
And
Off, off, off, on, off according to this thread;
Re: What kind of Slotket do I need to use a Tualeron on a 440BX Slot 1 motherboard?
All switch configs result in the same voltage reading in bios for the coppermine. Aroubd 1.65-1.70.

Reply 9 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The yellow jumpers work as a team so to say. All 5 in the upper position should allow 'auto voltage detection' and all 5 in the lower position allows for changing voltage via the dipswitches. I am a bit (very) puzzled about what could happen if only part of the yellow jumpers is changed.
What type of Tualatin cpu are you trying out ?

Reply 10 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, that might explain things.
So all should either be up on autoconfig or all down then change dipswitches accordingly?

Do you have a list of the switch config corresponding to voltages? 😀

The tualatin CPU im testing is a SL5PU and I got a SL5XL on the way.

Reply 12 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I switched all jumpers to autoconfig and now the tualatin reads 1.467 volt from the teatpoints.
Still no boot but the voltages is correct. 😀

I'll try to switch the AK4 jumper later todat or tommor and see if that fixes it.

If not maybe I need to add the cpu to the bios, are there any good guide on how to mod a award bios for cpu compability?

Reply 13 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so you found the right settings for voltage.
The cpu's you mention run on FSB 133, your slotket only supports FSB 66/100 which may be the reason why it does not work. The 370SPC that you ordered will fix that or you have to score a Tualatin Celeron aka Tualeron as in the thread you posted above.
In the past I made a 'concept' voltage sheet for a similar slotket - untested thus use at your own discretion.

JP22c.jpg
Filename
JP22c.jpg
File size
75.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know. Theoretically you should indeed be able to underclock the 133 but you are dealing with a motherboard and a slotket that were not meant to do what you want them to do so there are some variables that are hard to diagnose via remote chat to call it so. Have you checked or can you check if the cpu runs at all in a Tualatin dedicated system ?

Reply 16 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, I dont have a Tualatin system so I cant test it but it was pulled from a working system when I got it.
This is just for fun thou, so Ill try the things I can and if it doesnt work then it doesnt work. 😀

Found this post;
Re: Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide

Ill investigate A14 when I got time.

EDIT
Wrong url

Last edited by filurkatten on 2022-05-21, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Changeing the AK4 jumper doesnt change anything, the system wont boot.
I'll guess I have to waint until the other Tualatin CPU and sloket arrives.

And if that doesnt work then I'll find a Celeron instead.

Reply 19 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before you invest more energy It would be preferable to know if your current Tualatin works at all imo.

The link you posted is not relevant for your situation - it is about a specific hack for tricking Intel SR440BX boards.
The theory for getting FSB 133 to work is to isolate the cpu pins AJ31 & AJ33:

Bsel.JPG
Filename
Bsel.JPG
File size
20.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You have a jumper on the slotket for the BSEL0 pin so only BSEL1 has to be modded. But considering that this is an old piece of hardware and that it was not exactly a high end product in the first place and not meant to run FSB 133 cpu's the question is if it will work reliably.

My guess is that Tualeron 1400/100 is faster than Tualatin PIII 1400MHz @ 100fsb ~1050MHz under most if not all conditions (but I may well be wrong).