VOGONS

Slotket Tualatin mod journey

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I messed about with the BSEL but that didnt change things.
So, either the CPU is dead, the slotket isnt just good enough/to old/low quality, the motherboard doesnt like tualatins or its the BIOS thats preventing it from booting.

I got another CPU on the way so I can test with that one aswell.
I also got a newer model slotket on the way that Ill try to mod.
Gonna read about bios modding to add tualatin support, I do have a eeprom that I used to update the BIOS im using now.
The motherboard I cant do much about.

So I have a few options. 😀

I will try to find a Celeron tualatin just to check if that one would work.

Im still curious Celeron vs P3 tualatin.
Hopefully I can get both working and do a comparason.

Reply 21 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will be interesting to hear what you can accomplish. In the meantime you could try if a Coppermine wth FSB 133 runs on your combo. In this thread there is mention that on occasion the motherboard may be the problem:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=784829

Reply 22 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to first find a 133fsb coppermine. I dont have any to test with.
And, Im not that interested in actually running it at 133fsb.
I mostly wanted to try the tualatin thing because I got it so cheap. 😀
The CPU its currently running is a 850MHz coppermine.
But that peticular CPU dont like to be OC much at all. Its unstable at 112fsb.

But the new slotket I have arriving soon might solve it, or when the 1.4 tualatin arrives.
Before that I will try to see if I can find any 133fsb coppermines for cheap just to test with.

Reply 23 of 49, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can tell it will not POST with 133s. Got the same slotket and none of my 133FSB Coppermines (800EB, 2x 1000) POST'd in either Soyo 6BA + IV or ABIT BE6-II.

I have a 100FSB Coppermine 650 (SL3XK) running on my BE6-II, though for some unknown reason none of the Coppermines I could run on the Soyo (66FSB Celerons ranging from 566 to 700, a 850MHz P3, a 100FSB Celeron and a 1100MHz P3 SL5QW) would POST at all on the BE6. The SL3XK Coppermine runs just fine and always POSTs, surprisingly.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 24 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info!
I got a couple of more CPUs on the way, maybe I will get lucky with the 133s with the other slotket if I set it to 100fsb.
Got a 800MHz 133fsb coppermine on the way and also two Tualatin Celerons, one 1.2GHz and one 1.4GHz.
With that I could test most combos.

133fsb copermine, 133fsb tualatin and 100fsb tualatin.
Got two celerons if anyone would be bad. Hopefully one will work. 😜

I dont have any hope that I will be able to run the system at 133fsb, this is like I said mostly for fun. 😀

Reply 25 of 49, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience with another slotket (without DIP switches, that is), 133FSB CPUs did POST on bot my Soyo 6BA+IV and BE6-II, but were greatly unstable. This was generally using the boards' standard presets for the CPU - Soyo already had most of the voltages set up, while ABIT had a bunch of presets depending on the CPU used.

133 FSB chips that I tested above did work with the other slotket (noname, and was also an Mendocino slotket originally.) but was highly unstable on both boards - generally both would crash about as soon as you entered Windows.

100FSB chips did run relatively fine but I'm not sure if crashing at the 30 minute mark was my ABIT's custom set voltages and In Order Queue Depth to blame, but other than that, most of the times 100FSB chips ran perfectly. I'm not at home now so I can't test my old slotket, but as soon as I can take a trip back home I'll snag it, restore it and check if I can add components to aid it in running 133FSB chips on my BE6-II.

Reply 26 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested with two Tualatin Celerons.
One 1.2GHz and one 1.4GHz.
But it didnt seem to work with this slotket.
Also got a 133fsb coppermine I can test to see if it starts with a 133fsb CPU.

Ill have to wait until the other slotket arrives, then I can try to do the mod on that one to. 😀

Reply 27 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did test it with a 133fsb coppermine and kt worked, no pro lem. It was just underclocked.
And this particular CPU ran stable at 124fsb.
So the problem isnt the fsb.

I need to test with the other slotket but the postal service is being slow, hopefully I have it next week.

Do you guys think that it might be a BIOS issue?

Reply 29 of 49, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm.. surprisingly I got mine to boot 133s too, and they're the ones mentioned earlier - 800EB, 2x 1000B.

That ends flat though - the mainboard (Soyo 6BA+IV) I've run them on is really absolutely unstable at that speed, and 2000 SP4 either crashes or suffers from file corruption at 133FSB.
Same applies for setting 100FSB Celeron 1GHz to its standard FSB (100). The only stable ones were 66FSB. All CPUs were run at 1.8v Vcore to add a small headroom for 133FSB operation.

Any ideas? Katmai 500MHz 100FSB and Coppermine 650MHz (SL3XK) 100FSB both run fine on it.

Reply 30 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My idea is that certain slotket<>motherboard combinations are hit & miss anyway.
And for example google turned up this bit of info on the Soyo board:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/387/3
The Bad
AnandTech's prerelease evaluation sample did have one major issue that should be fixed before any boards ship to market. Our SY-6BA+IV would not boot with any 100 MHz Pentium II or Pentium III processor. Our test bed Celeron 333 worked just fine, even overclocked with a FSB setting of 110 MHz. It's a strange problem that probably only affects our sample.

Reply 31 of 49, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2022-06-02, 11:14:
My idea is that certain slotket<>motherboard combinations are hit & miss anyway. And for example google turned up this bit of in […]
Show full quote

My idea is that certain slotket<>motherboard combinations are hit & miss anyway.
And for example google turned up this bit of info on the Soyo board:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/387/3
The Bad
AnandTech's prerelease evaluation sample did have one major issue that should be fixed before any boards ship to market. Our SY-6BA+IV would not boot with any 100 MHz Pentium II or Pentium III processor. Our test bed Celeron 333 worked just fine, even overclocked with a FSB setting of 110 MHz. It's a strange problem that probably only affects our sample.

That was a pre-release board. Mine works with 100FSB CPUs as long as they're the original Katmai and slot-type Coppermines. Only the slotket adapted 100 and 133FSB like the 1GHz Celeron and 133FSB Pentium 3s don't work correctly. 66FSB Celerons (like 566, 633 and 700) do work fine without issues.

Reply 33 of 49, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2022-06-02, 13:37:

It was just meant as illustration for flaws in early boards, not as a 1 on 1 comparison. What type of frequency generator is your Soyo accomodated with ?

Cypress W40S01-04 clockgen, ITE 8671 SuperIO.

Reply 34 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my 370SPC Rev.1.0 slotket today and tested it out.
It worked out of the box with coppermine CPUs, thats great.
So I tried the tualatin mod on it, I removed the three required pins and did the jumper from AK4 to AK26, no luck, then I tried the other combinations, AK4 to AG1 and AK4 to AN15 but no luck there either.
Is there something Im missing or should I just give up and accept that this motherboard doesnt like modded slotkets for tualatin.
I have added the cpu microcodes to the BIOS and I have tried with 3 different tualatins.

Reply 35 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read on the site;
http://geocities.ws/_lunchbox/tualeron_success_table.html
Position 52 uses the same sloket as I'm trying and the mod preformed cell said "Isolate AN3 AJ3 AK4 AG1 X34 Z36, Bridge AK4-AN11 AG1-AN15 X34-V36 G35-G37, VID mod 1.65v"
Is this recommended?

Reply 36 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did some more reading on https://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html and concluded that G37 wasnt connected to VCC on this particular slotket.
So I connected it to H36 and now the system booted up!

I'll run some tests and see if it's stable tomorrow or next week, but hey, it's working! 😀

EDIT
Ok, I may have spoken to soon.
Two of the tualatins just reeboots after a random amount of time and the 1400MHz celeron just wont boot at all.

Did one more test with the 1200MHz celeron and now it booted and seemed stable.
I was able to run 3DMark01, Morrowind and Quake 3.
My guess is that the slotket just needed reseating.
I really do need some rentention brackets, do anyone know if there are 3D printed available?
Else Ill have to modell something so the slotket stays in place.

Ikl try with the 1400MHz celeron tomorrow again.

Attachments

• 20220602_225109.jpg
    Filename
    20220602_225109.jpg
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pic of the mod
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 37 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I resoldered the bridge and now the 1.4GHz celeron boots!
Still need to test stability and performance.
Hopefully the the PIII 1.4GHz 133fsb will arrive soon then Ill do some comparasons with that one underclocked vs the Celeron 1.4GHz 100fsb.
Curious to see if the extra cache is worth it or not.

I already know that this motherboard wont run stable at 133fsb, but who knows with the other cpu

Reply 38 of 49, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filurkatten wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:29:
Did some more reading on https://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html and concluded that G37 wasnt connected to V […]
Show full quote

Did some more reading on https://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/generic_slotket_mod.html and concluded that G37 wasnt connected to VCC on this particular slotket.
So I connected it to H36 and now the system booted up!
I'll run some tests and see if it's stable tomorrow or next week, but hey, it's working! 😀

EDIT
I really do need some rentention brackets, do anyone know if there are 3D printed available?
Else Ill have to modell something so the slotket stays in place.
Ikl try with the 1400MHz celeron tomorrow again.

That is quite a success, good for you !
Somebody here on Vogons used pieces of eraser to fix the slotket in the bracket:
Re: Slotket (slot1 > s370): In need of finding retention brackets/stilts for slotket
Have you tried to overclock the 1200 & 1400 ?

Reply 39 of 49, by filurkatten

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The processors seems stable at 100fsb but as soon as I try to increase it the system starts to be a bit unstable.
When opening folders I get knernel dll errors.
Maybe these has something to do with the IDE SATA adapter Im using with the SSD.
Still Im happy if I can run the processors at 100fsb. 😀