VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I’m gonna make a new build.

-I want it to be able to fit a long baby AT (tyan s1564), or a full ATX mobo (no need for extended atx)

-it must be as small as possible

-mostly or all metal construction. I don’t like plastic.

-a window would be nice.

- this one is gonna make things tricky.. Prefer a laptop size cd drive just because it helps the case be as small as possible.

36E4E9E5-1FDD-4FF8-8010-B3682919175E.png
Filename
36E4E9E5-1FDD-4FF8-8010-B3682919175E.png
File size
298.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I found the cooler master q500l that seems to check a lot of the boxes but not all.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-05-27, 08:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 28, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long baby AT + full ATX and "as small as possible" are somewhat contradictory. Are slim cases a consideration or do you need full height card compatibility?
Anyway, Silverstone FT05 would tick almost all boxes but it supports "up to" SSI CEB form factor and Tyan S1564 might not fit in there.

EDIT:
PS. I don't think q500l can actually fit Tyan S1564: I'm pretty sure PSU will get in a way.

Reply 2 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chiveicrook wrote on 2022-05-21, 07:26:
Long baby AT + full ATX and "as small as possible" are somewhat contradictory. Are slim cases a consideration or do you need ful […]
Show full quote

Long baby AT + full ATX and "as small as possible" are somewhat contradictory. Are slim cases a consideration or do you need full height card compatibility?
Anyway, Silverstone FT05 would tick almost all boxes but it supports "up to" SSI CEB form factor and Tyan S1564 might not fit in there.

EDIT:
PS. I don't think q500l can actually fit Tyan S1564: I'm pretty sure PSU will get in a way.

Full height cards are gonna be required 🤔

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 28, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the best way to stay compact with full ATX is for a case that hangs the PSU over the motherboard, but then that will limit CPU cooler height.

Reply 5 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Silverstone Raven 2 or Fortress 2. Both can fit standard SSI-CEB server motherboard, which are roughly the size of full Baby AT.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always wanted to build my own case, and my idea would be more cube like, divided in two parts, one for the mainboard and expansion card, the other for the psu, hdd/ssd/cd/dvd/bd/fdd/tape/...
footprint would be slightly larger than a EATX mainboard. Smaller versions with a footprint of ATX or µATX or mITX or... are also an option. For ease of access and easier/quieter cooling solutions, bigger and more spacious is better.
Then comes the question of leaving the mainboard on a side or the ground plane, though that would be down to personal preference.

I've seen cases that come close to this idea, though no idea what name/brand they are, nor where to find'm.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 28, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-05-22, 11:58:
I've always wanted to build my own case, and my idea would be more cube like, divided in two parts, one for the mainboard and ex […]
Show full quote

I've always wanted to build my own case, and my idea would be more cube like, divided in two parts, one for the mainboard and expansion card, the other for the psu, hdd/ssd/cd/dvd/bd/fdd/tape/...
footprint would be slightly larger than a EATX mainboard. Smaller versions with a footprint of ATX or µATX or mITX or... are also an option. For ease of access and easier/quieter cooling solutions, bigger and more spacious is better.
Then comes the question of leaving the mainboard on a side or the ground plane, though that would be down to personal preference.

I've seen cases that come close to this idea, though no idea what name/brand they are, nor where to find'm.

Sounds like the Cooler Master HAF XB.

Reply 8 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-22, 16:18:
I've always wanted to build my own case, and my idea would be more cube like, divided in two parts, one for the mainboard and ex […]
Show full quote

Great find.
If it weren't for the protrusion on the top, the fact the case wasn't made to be put on its side and the annoying space to fiddle with the cables for hard drives etc... That would be a great case.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

That looks like a good design. It seems like they could have made it smaller on the top and bottom side of the mobo. Maybe pull cables from the front.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 28, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-05-22, 17:05:
Show full quote

Great find.
If it weren't for the protrusion on the top, the fact the case wasn't made to be put on its side and the annoying space to fiddle with the cables for hard drives etc... That would be a great case.

Well the drives go in the front removable bays so you don't need to fiddle with the cables once they are installed. I have one of those and like the built in handles on the side plus the super large fan on top.

My only issues is it can't use E-ATX boards but full ATX work fine. Also the front facing fans are not easy to clean.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-05-24, 03:20:

Well the drives go in the front removable bays so you don't need to fiddle with the cables once they are installed. I have one of those and like the built in handles on the side plus the super large fan on top.

My only issues is it can't use E-ATX boards but full ATX work fine. Also the front facing fans are not easy to clean.

There also seems to be 2, 3? internal bays, that would still require fiddling with the cables.
Also sort of decent cable routing always requires some fidgeting.
for me the lack of E-ATX support is a bit sad, and a full size fan on top...
I want to stack a 24" CRT monitor on top (if I ever get one, all I have atm is a 19 or 21" one) 😁

and since you have such a case, is it possible to add filters before the fan intakes ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 12 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and since you have such a case, is it possible to add filters before the fan intakes ?

With the power of HANDS, everything is possible.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-24, 15:27:

With the power of HANDS, everything is possible.

Pretty sure that adding hands to the fans will result in a high Auch factor and bad airflow.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 14 of 28, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

It is sad, about a year ago these things cost $105 new on newegg so I looked at getting one and dragged my feet. Well I got more serious to get one about 3 months ago and the newegg price had jumped t0 $125 and this was for a case that they have stopped making. Personally I didnt think it was worth the jump in price so I went in another direction.

Reply 15 of 28, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Case prices jumped up like crazy during the pandemic because of supply side issues.

I snagged my HAF XB case a few years back used for $20-25 locally along with half a dozen other gaming cases figuring I would be set for life, but nope. I prefer cases with dust filters since they make life easier (for air intake and for power supply intake). I still like the case and working inside with the lid off is easy going.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 16 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lookin good so far..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turning into a fun build.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 18 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any suggestions on a latching switch I can use for the main switch?

I suppose I have to take it apart and see what kinda switch it’s using.

This gives me a idea for a rear i/o project. A card that plugs in the AT spades and the atx pin header and gives a latching power button feature

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sphere478, measure the current the ps-on signal does, and if low enough, use the latching microswitch that old cases have for the turbo button.

Do not ask Why !