VOGONS

First post, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering if these speeds look normal for a windows 98 system with a promise sata 150 with an ssd drive. reads seem to top out at 71 mb/s and writes around 36/mb shouldn't they be over 100?

ssd is a brandnew sandisk one that had dram cache

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    47.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not only the speed of the CPU, but the specs for the rest of the computer?

What CPU running at what speed?
What motherboard?
What front side bus speed?
What RAM and speed and timings?
What speed is the PCI bus running at?
What is the PCI latency set at?
Is the slot the SATA card is in sharing an IRQ with anything else?
Is the driver for the SATA card installed?
What updates have been installed for Windows? Is the unofficial service pack installed? If so, which release and what parts are installed?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my S150 Atto test on my M930LMR with a P4 2.8/512/533, DDR, SiS 645 chipset, an Silicon Power Ace A55 128 gigabyte SSD, and Windows 98 SE:

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2022-05-24, 21:21. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 44, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here's my S150 TX2 on a PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB PC133, i815, Kingston 120GB A400 SSD:

atto.png
Filename
atto.png
File size
111.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It looks like my S150 TX2 is sharing an IRQ with the USB 2.0 PCI card, but apparently that doesn't seem to matter.

Reply 6 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as you are not using those two devices simultaneously it shouldn't matter. However sharing IRQ between USB 2.0 and SATA Controller is not a great idea. I would check that and DMA transfers being enabled.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What CPU running at what speed? celeron 1400mhz
What motherboard? gigabyte GA-BX2000+
What front side bus speed? 100mhz
What RAM and speed and timings? 2x256mb pc100 cl2 ecc
What speed is the PCI bus running at? should be stock
What is the PCI latency set at? also whatever is stock
Is the slot the SATA card is in sharing an IRQ with anything else? second to last pci slot it might be sharing not sure.
Is the driver for the SATA card installed? yes the last official one from the promise website.
What updates have been installed for Windows? Is the unofficial service pack installed? If so, which release and what parts are installed? just dx7

Reply 8 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-05-24, 19:59:

As long as you are not using those two devices simultaneously it shouldn't matter. However sharing IRQ between USB 2.0 and SATA Controller is not a great idea. I would check that and DMA transfers being enabled.

dma is turned on for the 2 cdroms but there is no dma option for the sata controler or the ssd as far as i can tell.

Reply 9 of 44, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-24, 21:01:

dma is turned on for the 2 cdroms but there is no dma option for the sata controler or the ssd as far as i can tell.

I'm pretty sure the controller enables DMA by default.

Reply 11 of 44, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-05-24, 17:45:

I think 150 rating is for two drives in Raid, or something like that.

Pretty sure its because it can, in theory, shuffle about 150 MB/s of data per channel (or 1.5 Gbit/s as per the SATA revision 1 specification).
Now this would be more then the normal 133MB/s 32-bit PCI bus can handle.
But I suppose that if you copy between the 2 channels on the TX2 you could use all the bandwidth.

Now I say I'm pretty sure and that's because most cards from from Promise are named according to interface speed and number of ports =)
Like "Ultra 100 TX2" has 2 channels of ATA100, "Ultra 66" is ATA66, etc.

Reply 12 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok so it looks like it is sharing an irq with the usb 2 card. and even after shuffling cards around the irq follows to sharing with 1 of 2 listings of the usb card. the gigabyte bios won't let me assign an irq to a slot just reserve one for the isa slot.

although after moving the card up 2 slots it greatly improved the write speed from 36mb/s to 73mb/s read speed only went from 71mb/s to 73mb/s

looking at mrz speed on a p3 1.4 with the faster 133 bus and newer 815 chipset him getting 90mb/s and repo man even on the way faster p4 seem to only read 90 as well so guessing that is the limit of these pci cards?. i'm guess i'm hitting the bottle neck of the older 440bx/pc100 interface now? or is there something more i can do to squeeze that 20mb/s out of the card

Reply 13 of 44, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-24, 22:27:

ok so it looks like it is sharing an irq with the usb 2 card. and even after shuffling cards around the irq follows to sharing with 1 of 2 listings of the usb card. the gigabyte bios won't let me assign an irq to a slot just reserve one for the isa slot.

although after moving the card up 2 slots it greatly improved the write speed from 36mb/s to 73mb/s read speed only went from 71mb/s to 73mb/s

looking at mrz speed on a p3 1.4 with the faster 133 bus and newer 815 chipset him getting 90mb/s and repo man even on the way faster p4 seem to only read 90 as well so guessing that is the limit of these pci cards?. i'm guess i'm hitting the bottle neck of the older 440bx/pc100 interface now? or is there something more i can do to squeeze that 20mb/s out of the card

What motherboard are you using?
On some brands you can find what slots share IRQ with each other or something else.
Usually the AGP port shares IRQ with the closest PCI slot, 2 may share with 3 etc.
Like this from the ASUS P3B-F:

Nx8Ezf5.gif

Reply 14 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its a gigabyte GA-BX2000+ but there is nothing in the manual about that. the only thing that even says anything about irqs is it talking about what irqs are assigned to the serial and printer ports.

i've disabled both serial ports and the printer port since i have no use for those. i also disabled the second ultra 66 ide controller since that is pretty much pointless i'm only using cd drives on ide so the main ide controler using the intel chipset should be good enough for that.

i can't really use pci slot 1 since it covered by the gpu cooler. i put the aureal card in slot 2 since everything indicates its best to put that card there.

i tired shuffling cards between 3 4 and 5. i haven't really tired slot 6 id kinda like to keep that one free in case i want to use the isa slot at some point.

Reply 15 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be that the polling rate of the USB card is slowing things down.

Is there a setting in the BIOS for PCI latency?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here is pictures of all the bios setting screens.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

~70MB/s isn't all that bad. I don't recall whether I've seen more than that from 440BX. The best you can practically get out of PCI is 90-100MB/s. That is also all the bandwidth available to the southbridge with 440BX.

Reply 18 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-05-25, 03:57:

~70MB/s isn't all that bad. I don't recall whether I've seen more than that from 440BX. The best you can practically get out of PCI is 90-100MB/s. That is also all the bandwidth available to the southbridge with 440BX.

that's my thinking that now with some tinkering i got it to 73ish mb/s read and write that i'm probably at the bottleneck of this older chipset combined with a 100mhz fsb. it was def off when the write speed was only pushing 36mb/s installing stuff felt super slow.

if anyone has any tweaks or adjustments that they think might get it closer to the 90-100mb/s i'm open to try. i think i have everything setup right in the bios. i turn CL on the ram from 3 to 2. i turned on ecc since its ecc ram. i shut off printer and serial ports. i set the graphic aperture to 128mb. everything else i believe is stock.

Reply 19 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try turning Delayed Transaction off, L2 ECC off and the ECC on the RAM off.

Try them one at a time.

You may be reaching the limit of that board, but I would think you should be able to get a bit higher.

Try without the USB 2 card installed as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK