VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an old HP Pavilion 7050, and I hope someone can help me with a question; in the CMOS settings, it says it has 256k L2 cache, and the motherboard's DIP switch is set to that amount. With my low level of familiarity with hardware this old, I wonder if that is correct because I would expect some of the cache sockets to be empty since this model could also have 512k L2 cache. But maybe in that case the memory chips installed would be of higher capacity, so in both cases all of the sockets would be filled?

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The answer to this question lies in the exact chips it has in the sockets. I can't make out the writing on them in this pic. If they are 256kb chips, 256kB total is correct. If they are 512kb, then the dipswitch is incorrecy and you have 512kB.

Reply 2 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then it appears that the 256 is correct. Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 8 x 32K x 8 bit are correct for 256K. Bringing up to 512K needs these 8 chips swapped out for 64K x 8 chips.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote on 2022-05-27, 21:41:

I looked at the possibility for a similar system... 64K x 8 are rare and expensive beasts indeed

I'm planning on moving to a state other than California this year, so I'm selling some things and this computer is one of them. It was included in a bunch of computer parts that I bought for $20.00 a few years ago, and while cleaning it up I looked it over more closely than I had before. Looking at the files on it, it seems the original owner was using this until early 2001. It seems remarkable to me that he was still using it six years after it was purchased with no upgrades other than (apparently) adding some memory as it has sixteen megabytes, half fast page and half EDO. Since I had a Pentium 120 in my stash, I dropped it in and set the multiplier to two so it now runs at the whopping speed of 133 instead of 100. To be fair, it may have had a PCI video card and a Soundblaster sound card. Among the other things in the bundle of parts I purchased that day were a Matrox G200 video card and a Creative ISA sound card, and Matrox drivers were listed in Add/Remove Programs.

Looking over the settings when I was figuring out how to set the CPU multiplier (I was confused at first because I assumed a Pentium 100 would be 2x50, but they also had 1.5x66 which was what this one was) it occurred to me to check on the cache - stranger things have happened than someone upgrading the cache without making sure that it was working correctly. An expensive L2 cache upgrade is definitely not something that I'll be doing, but perhaps the future owner will.

There was a BIOS update, but using the Wayback Machine on HP's site I found a listing, but the link is broken; again, I'll leave that for someone else.

Reply 6 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the 512k config chips will probably be longer also. Note the unused pins.

I assume that’s socket 5?

If you want help getting a pentium 200 working in that lemme know. Easy matter of taking a few measurments and installing a resistor or two on the back of the socket. Or could install a tweaker. But probably no interest since you are selling it.

The fastest cpu that this board can easily run is probably a pentium mmx overdrive 200. Or a k6 233. If the regs are up to it. Past that, you’ll need a voltage interposer.

That chipset supports only a max of 128mb of ram btw, but it has the annoying 64mb cachable limit that many other intel chipsets of the time had. Which you probably can’t get around without a voltage interposer and a k6 3/2+/3+ So 2x32 is probably your best bet for now

To verify chip size, google the part number, find out the arrangement of the chip (16x32 or whatever) do the math and divide by 8 if in KB and multiply by the number of chips. And you’ll have your size. (Not to be confused with Kb)

https://www.avnet.com/shop/emea/products/alli … 57345629719663/

According to this 256 killa bit

So 8 chips=

256 killa byte

Looking at your pics, do those sockets have blocks on the last two tiers of pins?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-28, 09:36:
I think the 512k config chips will probably be longer also. Note the unused pins. […]
Show full quote

I think the 512k config chips will probably be longer also. Note the unused pins.

I assume that’s socket 5?

If you want help getting a pentium 200 working in that lemme know. Easy matter of taking a few measurments and installing a resistor or two on the back of the socket. Or could install a tweaker. But probably no interest since you are selling it.

The fastest cpu that this board can easily run is probably a pentium mmx overdrive 200. Or a k6 233. If the regs are up to it. Past that, you’ll need a voltage interposer.

That chipset supports only a max of 128mb of ram btw, but it has the annoying 64mb cachable limit that many other intel chipsets of the time had. Which you probably can’t get around without a voltage interposer and a k6 3/2+/3+ So 2x32 is probably your best bet for now

To verify chip size, google the part number, find out the arrangement of the chip (16x32 or whatever) do the math and divide by 8 if in KB and multiply by the number of chips. And you’ll have your size. (Not to be confused with Kb)

https://www.avnet.com/shop/emea/products/alli … 57345629719663/

According to this 256 killa bit

So 8 chips=

256 killa byte

Looking at your pics, do those sockets have blocks on the last two tiers of pins?

Your enthusiasm is impressive, but this would be a poor choice for such upgrades. With an OEM BIOS (and the most up to date BIOS lost to time) and all of the other limitations, I think this is a case for enjoying it mostly as is. A sound card, video card, more memory, and a better hard drive would make it a better system without any hardware mods or worries about BIOS support. On one hand this would be a good candidate for the Evergreen Winchip CPU, but there's a very good chance that it would refuse to POST with the BIOS it now has, and on top of everything else this has a soldered BIOS chip.

I do have a PCChips FX motherboard that I might someday get a VRM module and upgrade it to 400 MHz along the lines of what Necroware did in this video, but that will be at some point in the future when I'm settled in my new home state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NLGfocviU&t=3s

Reply 8 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-27, 23:13:
I'm planning on moving to a state other than California this year, so I'm selling some things and this computer is one of them. […]
Show full quote

I looked at the possibility for a similar system... 64K x 8 are rare and expensive beasts indeed

I'm planning on moving to a state other than California this year, so I'm selling some things and this computer is one of them. It was included in a bunch of computer parts that I bought for $20.00 a few years ago, and while cleaning it up I looked it over more closely than I had before. Looking at the files on it, it seems the original owner was using this until early 2001. It seems remarkable to me that he was still using it six years after it was purchased with no upgrades other than (apparently) adding some memory as it has sixteen megabytes, half fast page and half EDO. Since I had a Pentium 120 in my stash, I dropped it in and set the multiplier to two so it now runs at the whopping speed of 133 instead of 100. To be fair, it may have had a PCI video card and a Soundblaster sound card. Among the other things in the bundle of parts I purchased that day were a Matrox G200 video card and a Creative ISA sound card, and Matrox drivers were listed in Add/Remove Programs.

Looking over the settings when I was figuring out how to set the CPU multiplier (I was confused at first because I assumed a Pentium 100 would be 2x50, but they also had 1.5x66 which was what this one was) it occurred to me to check on the cache - stranger things have happened than someone upgrading the cache without making sure that it was working correctly. An expensive L2 cache upgrade is definitely not something that I'll be doing, but perhaps the future owner will.

There was a BIOS update, but using the Wayback Machine on HP's site I found a listing, but the link is broken; again, I'll leave that for someone else.

Hi,
I am about to do this page up a little:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/3133

If you can make a picture of the front and backside of the board, that would be mighty fine, if it's already closed up, I'll leave the pic you posted on there.

As for the bios update, do you have a 1.00.xx.BT0L version or something else? I can have a look in my archives for a possible update.

Reply 9 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2022-07-15, 08:02:
Hi, I am about to do this page up a little: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/3133 […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-27, 23:13:
I'm planning on moving to a state other than California this year, so I'm selling some things and this computer is one of them. […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I am about to do this page up a little:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/3133

If you can make a picture of the front and backside of the board, that would be mighty fine, if it's already closed up, I'll leave the pic you posted on there.

As for the bios update, do you have a 1.00.xx.BT0L version or something else? I can have a look in my archives for a possible update.

I would be happy to help if I could, but I no longer have this system.