VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good point! However, the CF could have been replaced at some stage (which it was) and was curious if this is the one it had in it when you got it, and if it ever worked ? (probably not). Also, a little bit less salt would be appreciated.

Reply 41 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kiacadp wrote on 2022-12-23, 22:50:

Good point! However, the CF could have been replaced at some stage (which it was) and was curious if this is the one it had in it when you got it, and if it ever worked ? (probably not). Also, a little bit less salt would be appreciated.

Yes, as you are correctly thinking, the CF was the one when my friend gave me the client.

I never replaced cause when I tested on my first computer it shows no errors.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 42 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So at the end installing Windows 2000 with a master hard disk and the slave CD-ROM it works.

We can so assume that the problem is the CF card on that system, even if in my primary computer it can be formatted, it can transfer files and read them?

What suggest do you have about putting a CF as master drive in this thin client? I am simply worried that If I buy one for 10 euros it simply doesn't work as this one do.

I put photos about the hard disk and cd-rom with the same IDE cable connected

Attachments

• 1671880556379.jpg
    Filename
    1671880556379.jpg
    File size
    161.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows 2000 correctly installed
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1671880556408.jpg
    Filename
    1671880556408.jpg
    File size
    723.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    thin client with IDE cable and HDD+CD-ROM master/slave mode
    File license
    Public domain

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 44 of 52, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I said earlier in the thread, I was in a similar situation with my Gigabyte board. Yours has a native CF slot, but the issues are similar. I think a smaller capacity might do the trick . In 2005 Compact Flash Rev. 3.0 was announced, and the size at the time were up to 8 GB. So what I would suggest, would be an industrial CF card , 4-8 GB. Now these are more expensive than their counterparts, so you could just go with a regular CF card in those sizes. And then there's another question: what do you want to use this system for? Because 8 GB can fill rather quickly. Hope that helps.

Reply 45 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kiacadp wrote on 2022-12-24, 23:23:

As I said earlier in the thread, I was in a similar situation with my Gigabyte board. Yours has a native CF slot, but the issues are similar. I think a smaller capacity might do the trick . In 2005 Compact Flash Rev. 3.0 was announced, and the size at the time were up to 8 GB. So what I would suggest, would be an industrial CF card , 4-8 GB. Now these are more expensive than their counterparts, so you could just go with a regular CF card in those sizes. And then there's another question: what do you want to use this system for? Because 8 GB can fill rather quickly. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, this is what I really thought.

I am trying to buya 8gb compact flash card because I want to install Windows 2000 system.

I want a working system with that operative system with Office 2003 and other utilities.

I think 8gb is more than sufficient.

Love beer, too.

Reply 47 of 52, by b0by007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can boot from CF cards.
A few years ago, I had a thin client where I installed winxp to a 4gb CF using cf-ide adapter. You have to use a program called bootprep.exe
I know you have windows 2000, but I think it works as well.
More info about it here:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/making-com … otable.1898749/
http://www.togeo.com/togeo/wordpress/notes-on … ws-xp-embedded/

HP Vectra D2753A 486/25N i486 SX 25mhz
UNISYS SG3500 AMD486 DX2 66mhz
OLIVETTI M4 i486 SX2 50mhz
IBM PC 330 6577-79T, Pentium 166mhz
IBM PC 300GL 6561-350, Pentium II MMX 266mhz
My retro youtube channel!

Reply 48 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-27, 06:12:

cf card is not just cf card. some cfs are for cameras and are not the same as ones meant for ide.

Probably it's what it is happening now. Probabably this Sandisk 16GB Ultra CF is meant for different applications.

Love beer, too.

Reply 49 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
b0by007 wrote on 2022-12-27, 09:37:
You can boot from CF cards. A few years ago, I had a thin client where I installed winxp to a 4gb CF using cf-ide adapter. You […]
Show full quote

You can boot from CF cards.
A few years ago, I had a thin client where I installed winxp to a 4gb CF using cf-ide adapter. You have to use a program called bootprep.exe
I know you have windows 2000, but I think it works as well.
More info about it here:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/making-com … otable.1898749/
http://www.togeo.com/togeo/wordpress/notes-on … ws-xp-embedded/

I will read about that.

Thanks

Love beer, too.

Reply 50 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing to do, I tried with another WD Compact Flash 8GB installing Windows 2000...

all the process of loading drivers from the CD-ROM and copying files to the CF works, but when it ask me to reboot the CF stuck at the boot with a blinking cursor forever.

I am about to leave and give up this time, throwing the little PRAIM thin client to the bin.

Love beer, too.

Reply 51 of 52, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Confirm, I gave up.

I destroyed that fucking thin client, too much angry now.

I took off the 1gB RAM and the 8GB CF that I had bought expecially for this project.

Now I forgot about these, and when I see little thin client I always remind this bad-ended project with this stupid problems that it won't run.

I will never know why, anyway doesn't mind.

The moderator can close this fucking thread.

Love beer, too.