VOGONS

First post, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to get an old 486 going that I purchased "complete" some time back. After some headaches, I found that this FIC 486-PVT-IO board is very picky about what IDE CDROM drives will work with a windows 98 boot floppy. Surprisingly, it also has the 504MB limit in the BIOS, dated from 1995. I'll deal with that later, byu 500MB will be fine for now. 4GB would be better.

I'm trying to install Windows 95 now. During troubleshooting, I found that if I have the Atrend ATC-6631 (Yamaha 719) ISA soundcard installed, floppy disks (magnetic or Goken) fail to work. Simply no activity if I check for the drives at POST.

I do not see anything regarding jumpers here that will let me change anything on the controller https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … 486-PVT-IO.html

Can anyone confirm that a floppy controller and soundcard can indeed have some type of resource conflict? Is there any way around this? This is the first time I've seen this behavior on any system.

Reply 1 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The floppy controller would use IRQ 6, DMA 2, and i/o ports 3f2, 3f4, and 3f5 and this would not be configurable.
Floppy drives being universal, I don't see that the Yamaha card would even allow itself to overlap with those resources, and even if it did, I would expect such initialization to have not happened yet during POST, yet you describe the drive as not seeking even during POST if the card is in.

Try cleaning the contacts on the sound card with a pencil eraser, moving it to a different slot? Don't see any other reason why it would mis-read accesses to the floppy drives as intended for the sound card unless some component on the sound card is bad.

Reply 2 of 11, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-05-31, 05:02:

The floppy controller would use IRQ 6, DMA 2, and i/o ports 3f2, 3f4, and 3f5 and this would not be configurable.
Floppy drives being universal, I don't see that the Yamaha card would even allow itself to overlap with those resources, and even if it did, I would expect such initialization to have not happened yet during POST, yet you describe the drive as not seeking even during POST if the card is in.

Try cleaning the contacts on the sound card with a pencil eraser, moving it to a different slot? Don't see any other reason why it would mis-read accesses to the floppy drives as intended for the sound card unless some component on the sound card is bad.

The soundcard was cleaned months ago in the sink (toothbrush scrubbing in dish soap mixture, rinsed with tap water, re-rinsed in distilled water bath, datavac dried, then fan dried for 24 hours) along with all the other components - it looks flawless, and no residual films. Great looking parts. The soundcard also works fine in Windows 95 with audician 32 drivers - I just can't have it installed if I want to run the Windows installer, or any other floppy disk usage. As of right now, I'm just moving files directly to the CF card as needed via a card reader.

I've tried different ISA slots and nothing changed.

I didn't understand it either, but this is how the board is behaving. After fighting everything inside the case, I pulled it all back out to troubleshoot. I thought maybe the floppy cable was bad after it started working outside the case, but the floppy stopped working again when the soundcard was inserted. I had to install Windows without the soundcard, then add it back in later. PnP worked, and I just needed to supply the drivers.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you post a picture of the back of your ATC-6631 ? I want to see if IRQ6 and/or DMA2 have slot connections...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 11, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-05-31, 23:43:

Can you post a picture of the back of your ATC-6631 ? I want to see if IRQ6 and/or DMA2 have slot connections...

Sure thing - attached

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't the YMF71x supposed to have this "reset bug" that affects some 486 systems? The bug should reset the YMF randomly but maybe you have more severe incompatibility issue with your board and YMF?

Reply 6 of 11, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unrelated, but finally received a replacement fan after some delays. It's nice to have this system quiet now, instead of the re-oiled, still-grinding, sometimes stalling Sunon fan that this replaced.

Attachments

• 2022-06-01.jpg
    Filename
    2022-06-01.jpg
    File size
    719.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 11, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, well I just found that the secondary IDE port also doesn't work when the soundcard is installed.

Not sure why I didn't put 1 and 1 together as this being the cause of being unable to detect hard drives on IDE2. I guess I didn't notice that my cd-rom drive also stopped working after installing the soundcard. It streams music fine via the 4 pin cable, so I've been listening to music.

I'd love to continue using this soundcard if possible, but I need help figuring out what's going on here. The soundcard has been working great in games, both under Windows 95 and DOS. Maybe it's just not possible to use this card in this system...but it's so much better than the soundblasters I have.

Reply 9 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Masejoer wrote on 2022-06-02, 00:18:

Tried a PNP Vibra16 and the floppy/secondary IDE works fine. I don't understand it.

Something is wrong with the address decoder on your yahama card. Since it appears to only be an ASIC, it's almost certainly not repairable. Move on

Reply 10 of 11, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had similar issues with MSI 694T Pro. ISA slot was populated with ESS AudioDrive ES1869F (BTC 1857A) and I had huge problems with my Gotek. Floppy emulator was detected, but file transfers were corrupted and usually ending with errors and broken file system. I tried everything, first suspecting Gotek (later tried on a different system without any problems), cables, configuration... In the end I have declared that something has to be wrong with the floppy controller.

A year later, I acquired MSI K7T Turbo2 with ISA and the exactly same issue came up again. Since both boards have similar VIA chipsets I knew that there is some kind of incompatibility, although I thought that this is related only to "modern" systems with ISA. Then I tested that both motherboards indeed work without any issues when ISA soundcard is not present. What is new to me, based on the testing here, that it could work with a different soundcard.

Another weird incompatibility is on my BCM BC845DL: When floppy is connected (Gotek again), SSD hard drive is not detected! I can use whatever IDE to SATA adaptor I want (JMicron, Marvel, noname) but it just doesn't work. As soon as floppy is disconnected, SSD is detected again. What is really weird that everything works fine when I exchange SSD with a regular SATA HDD (again over the same adaptor).

Reply 11 of 11, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As an ongoing saga with this board, I cannot get a db9 serial mouse to work on it. I have 4 of them. I have tried rewiring the serial port for both AT and DTK, but mouse doesn't work. They work fine on the new 386 I just picked up. Both with the same DOS CF card and ctmouse. Of course it also doesn't work on my Windows 95 install either.

Don't really want to open a new thread/litter the forum, so perhaps someone can help me figure out what's wrong here. Jumpers match the correct addressing for com1/com2. I've tried the com2 port, and I've tried using com3/4 to no success. Shows two serial ports on the POST details. ctmouse /m and ctmouse /s1, s2, s14, etc don't work.

My serial connector is getting pretty grungy after rewriting it a few times, but I have included pictures of how it came (pretty and straight), and how it's currently wired (AT). I'll also note that some diagrams I've seen online have pin1 labeled wrong on all the i/0 - the pcb silk screening where pin 1 is the top left of each connector is correct.

That said, I did get a ps/2 i/o bracket in today, rewired it, and ps/2 mouse is working fine on this 486. I'd still like to have the system fully working though.

Attachments