VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got one of these and I cannot figure out how to open it, and afraid of breaking it, I ask for the community's help.
It's the one in the photo. I can't find pry points or screws.

20220612_160753818_iOS.jpg
Filename
20220612_160753818_iOS.jpg
File size
943.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220612_160807118_iOS.jpg
Filename
20220612_160807118_iOS.jpg
File size
901.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by kikendo on 2022-06-12, 22:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One or two screws under the half circle glide pad
Can't remember if there's a screw under the line glide pad.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes should be screw or screws under the half circle pad, most have tabs near the cord IIRC so when you unscrew, gently lift top at an angle from the screw side or else you could break the tabs.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 10, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I found the screws and they were NOT under the half circle pad, but under the model sticker. That's all sticky things removed, I hope I can replace them 🙁

Now the problem is, I cleaned this as much as I can, but I still get a jumpy cursor when I go too fast. Works well when going slow.
The innards look like this:

20220612_221809773_iOS.png
Filename
20220612_221809773_iOS.png
File size
628.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I never quite seen a mouse like this so I have no idea what to do. Seems like the diodes are inside those potentiometer-looking packages.
I blew air in them (you can remove the black back) and used some contact cleaner fluid too, but they still work the same way. I cannot physically reach the leds, without destroying the package.

Could it be something else causing this issue?

Reply 5 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info ! Does it jump in both serial and ps2 modes ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 10, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-06-12, 23:55:

Thanks for the info ! Does it jump in both serial and ps2 modes ?

Interesting. I don't have a serial to PS/2 adapter, so I cannot know if it does it in serial mode only.
Also, I should try it in another computer too, while we're at it.

Reply 8 of 10, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you mean by "jumpy cursor"? If the cursor moves in the correct direction, but with larger steps when you move it quickly, that's normal for a serial mouse due to the slower update rate. It will seem choppy compared to a USB mouse.

Reply 9 of 10, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-15, 23:07:

What do you mean by "jumpy cursor"? If the cursor moves in the correct direction, but with larger steps when you move it quickly, that's normal for a serial mouse due to the slower update rate. It will seem choppy compared to a USB mouse.

I meant that if you're moving to the right, it will go left every now and then. How much left, depends on how fast I move it. that's "jumpy".

I tried it in another machine and it seemed to work fine. maybe it was a computer problem on the serial port?

Reply 10 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What computer and what software are you using when the mouse sometimes does this jumpy behaviour ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port