VOGONS

First post, by Saidian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone I know gave me a Fujitsu E5710 system and besides needing a clean it appears to be running smoothly.
I notice the 250w PSU isn't a standard design so my options are a bit limited. I'm wondering what would be the best low profile GPU I could safely throw in?
It looks like 300w units of the same form factor are available but of course that's an added cost so I'd rather not.

Specs of Machine as it stands
Pentium D 2.8ghz (any chance I could replace with a e8500?)
2gb DDR2 (had 3gb but the 1gb second stick isn't showing up so I'm assuming it's dead)
80gb Seagate Baracuda SATA Drive
DVD-RW Drive. Came with a Lightscribe drive but it appears to be damaged, won't boot any disc and said discs are still spinning upon ejection (I'll just replace it)
Floppy Drive

I plan on replacing the CPU (if the E8500 is compatible), RAM (bump it to 4gb), fans, and DVD-RW Drive.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anything that doesn't use an external PCIe power connector should be fine. a PCIe slot maxes out at 75w.
Is this going to be windows 7+?
If so, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 will do just fine with that CPU.
hd 7750 low profile would work too, but a little more power hungry and lower performance, but much cheaper.

Reply 2 of 7, by Saidian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually aiming for Windows XP, potentially as something that can sit on my desk with a monitor on top.
So with the specs I laid out I should be fine as long as the card doesn't need a power connector? Would I be able to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo E8500 without issues as well?

EDIT: Looking up a datasheet, looks like CPU support is only up to E6600? Might potentially be limited on RAM speed?

https://manualzz.com/doc/2577566/fujitsu-espr … e5710-datasheet

Reply 3 of 7, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Saidian wrote on 2022-06-20, 23:26:

EDIT: Looking up a datasheet, looks like CPU support is only up to E6600? Might potentially be limited on RAM speed?

or a FSB limit; the E8500 runs at a FSB speed of 1333MHz and the board looks like it maxes at 1066MHz. BIOS might also not have any ability to handle or recognize it, either

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 4 of 7, by Saidian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Eh I'm fine getting an E6600 instead, one day I might have the funds for a top XP overkill build but this'll do for now.

As for GPU I'm looking at the HD8490, cheap and available in my country atm unlike others I might've used. Is there anything better around that has XP drivers?

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Saidian wrote on 2022-06-21, 01:15:

Eh I'm fine getting an E6600 instead, one day I might have the funds for a top XP overkill build but this'll do for now.

As for GPU I'm looking at the HD8490, cheap and available in my country atm unlike others I might've used. Is there anything better around that has XP drivers?

The HD8490 is available cheaply everywhere for a reason : practically nobody wants one, because it's not that great, to put it mildly . Granted, there is worse ( Geforce GT210, for example ) and it might make sense it is very cheap or if all better choices are obscenely expensive and/or outside of your current budget .

To get a rough idea of the relative performance of other cards, have a look here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon- … -8490-oem.c2038

P.S. If it's not too indiscreet to ask, what country are you located in ?

Reply 6 of 7, by Saidian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the United Kingdom.

Kind of a shame as some retro tech I've had a look at has only been available stateside or similarly further afield. For example I saw some pretty good deals recently but they were located in Ukraine so yeh....even the seller when asked said delivery times were up in the air for the foreseeable future.

But yeh any half decent GPU is fine for me as long as it's low profile, doesn't require a power connector from the PSU and has Windows XP drivers.

EDIT: Looks like the HD7570 would do a lot better and has good availability in the UK

Reply 7 of 7, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Saidian wrote on 2022-06-20, 23:26:

Actually aiming for Windows XP, potentially as something that can sit on my desk with a monitor on top.

So, the absolute BEST low profile video card you can get for this kind of build with Windows XP support is going to be a Quadro K1200 LP.
This is a 50-60W graphics card at maximum load, and it's somewhere between a GTX 750 and 750ti, but closer to the 750 side of things.
Your choice of an E6600 will draw about 75W at max, and the motherboard itself, memory, fans, and an SSD and an optical drive will draw like 50-60W maximum.
So that's all under 200W, which will be fine for a 250w machine.