VOGONS

First post, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently built a Windows 98 system that can boot into Windows 98 off a hard drive. One issue though is that the hard drive is from a old Compaq Windows system so it is configured for a completely different set of hardware (Different Chipset, Sound card, CPU, GPU). The system runs fine in safe mode (it runs all the standard stuff like Word and a PDF reader) but it blue screens when booted normally. I can assume this is because literally every driver is incompatible with my system. How can I go about replacing these drivers in a way that will not destroy the Windows installation and allow the system to boot normally without errors.

Reply 1 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To get this out of the way, it will probably be a lot of work for a disappointing result; when in Safe Mode try removing most of the hardware in Device Manager, then reboot. Once you can get to the desktop in normal mode you can begin the process of installing the correct drivers. Make sure you have the Win98 CD handy as you'll need it for drivers (unless you installed 98 by first copying the CD to the hard drive).

But to be sure, your best option if at all possible would be to do a fresh install of Windows 98.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 3, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-02, 04:58:

To get this out of the way, it will probably be a lot of work for a disappointing result; when in Safe Mode try removing most of the hardware in Device Manager, then reboot. Once you can get to the desktop in normal mode you can begin the process of installing the correct drivers. Make sure you have the Win98 CD handy as you'll need it for drivers (unless you installed 98 by first copying the CD to the hard drive).

But to be sure, your best option if at all possible would be to do a fresh install of Windows 98.

Good news, after a bunch of tinkering I linked the issues to two drivers, a Aureal Sound Driver and a ATI Rage GPU driver. Windows fixed everything with the chipset drivers and similar things and disabling the execution of the drivers on startup and then removing the devices in the device manager did the trick.

Reply 3 of 3, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
assortedkingdede wrote on 2022-07-06, 18:28:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-02, 04:58:

Good news, after a bunch of tinkering I linked the issues to two drivers, a Aureal Sound Driver and a ATI Rage GPU driver. Windows fixed everything with the chipset drivers and similar things and disabling the execution of the drivers on startup and then removing the devices in the device manager did the trick.

Windows 98 often impressed with its ability to 'cope' with changes in hardware and sometimes completely failed to accommodate even the slightest change, it was quite the gamble!