VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, so a half a year ago I bought a 17 inch Dell CRT monitor on eBay (refurbished). When I first tested it, the monitor worked great, it was until several weeks later when I started having some screen fadeout issues. It would happen sometimes when used but somedays it would work totally fine, no screen fade. When it happened again one day, I decided to replace the external power cable and then it worked fine, until it started happening again 2 weeks later. What could be the issue with this monitor and is it even worth the repair? I attached a video example below. If anyone could give good ideas or feedback that would be great. Thank you guys, have a good rest of your day/night.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SCgaYIVAFtm_ … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 1 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like some kind of screensaver or third party joke application to me. I can't imagine that this is a mechanical monitor issue. I'd try booting to different media to see if it goes away.

Reply 2 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-07-26, 23:15:

That looks like some kind of screensaver or third party joke application to me. I can't imagine that this is a mechanical monitor issue. I'd try booting to different media to see if it goes away.

I have tried different devices, plus all the stuff I have on my machine are all just basic drivers and just applications I know like games and all that. It is the monitor I know for sure, just don't know what exactly.

Reply 3 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if the monitor has some weird kind of demo mode thats activated when it shouldn't be...do you see any settings about a demo mode of some kind? BTW what is the exact model of the monitor?

Reply 4 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-07-27, 04:24:

I wonder if the monitor has some weird kind of demo mode thats activated when it shouldn't be...do you see any settings about a demo mode of some kind? BTW what is the exact model of the monitor?

I do not but the model is a Dell D1028L

Reply 6 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-07-27, 18:24:

Sorry, Not having an easy time finding a manual or any info about a similar problem, the fade out is pretty common but that zoom is weird.

There is a plausible hardware failure that would explain this behaviour: Failure of the anode voltage insulation. A color monitor like that typically generates a high voltage of around 25'000 to 30'000 volts to accelerate the electrons that hit the screen and cause it to light up. That voltage is generated inside the line output transformer (also known as flyback transformer), and transferred through a wire with very thick insulation (oftentimes red, sometimes black) to the picture tube, with a connector protectected by an insulating suction cap. If that voltage goes down, the electrons are not that fast when they hit the screen, so the picture gets darker. Also they are already too slow while they are in the deflecting magnetic field, so the field influences them for more time and they get deflected further, this would be the picture zoom effect. As it happens gradually, I suspect some component starts to leak high voltage when it warms up. My first guess would be one of the couple of high-voltage rectification diodes that are part of the high voltage transformer. If that diagnosis is right, the line-output transformer has failed. Repairing line-output transformers is typically impossible because it is very difficult to keep it properly isolated to handle the high voltage, and it is most likely potted anyway for extra insulation. Replacing the transformer might be an option if one is able to source a suitable replacement. Typically, a failed line output transformer means repair is not economically sensible, I'm afraid.

Reply 7 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2022-07-27, 19:29:

Sorry, Not having an easy time finding a manual or any info about a similar problem, the fade out is pretty common but that zoom is weird.

There is a plausible hardware failure that would explain this behaviour: Failure of the anode voltage insulation. A color monitor like that typically generates a high voltage of around 25'000 to 30'000 volts to accelerate the electrons that hit the screen and cause it to light up. That voltage is generated inside the line output transformer (also known as flyback transformer), and transferred through a wire with very thick insulation (oftentimes red, sometimes black) to the picture tube, with a connector protectected by an insulating suction cap. If that voltage goes down, the electrons are not that fast when they hit the screen, so the picture gets darker. Also they are already too slow while they are in the deflecting magnetic field, so the field influences them for more time and they get deflected further, this would be the picture zoom effect. As it happens gradually, I suspect some component starts to leak high voltage when it warms up. My first guess would be one of the couple of high-voltage rectification diodes that are part of the high voltage transformer. If that diagnosis is right, the line-output transformer has failed. Repairing line-output transformers is typically impossible because it is very difficult to keep it properly isolated to handle the high voltage, and it is most likely potted anyway for extra insulation. Replacing the transformer might be an option if one is able to source a suitable replacement. Typically, a failed line output transformer means repair is not economically sensible, I'm afraid.

I'll just be here picking nits out of my hair and eating them.

Reply 8 of 8, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2022-07-27, 19:29:

Geez, wow good explanation on the internals, thank you for the info as well as everyone else. I will keep this unit in storage for now.