VOGONS

First post, by whitepawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently i got myself an OAK OTI-077 ISA Graphics card from a local scrapyard about 2$. The card was mostly OK in physcial condition with one RAM chip missing and 3 Pins damaged in total. I have soldered back damaged pins and plugged it with one RAM chip missing just to see if any outputs that card have.

1.JPG
Filename
1.JPG
File size
226.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There was glitched output but obviously there is one RAM chip is missing so this is normal.
Checked my inventory for spare RAM chip (44C256) and i realized i don’t have any of it but i have plenty of HYB 514171BJ-50 with plastic sockets so i wonder if i can solve my memory issue with just one HYB 514171BJ-50 just like HMC HM86314Q graphics card.

Here is what i mean:

2.JPG
Filename
2.JPG
File size
247.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For fun and experiment i have started digging some specs and compare RAM types, pinouts and reverse engineered memory section of graphics card.(Reverse engineering of card is ongoing btw.)

Here is specs for original RAM chips:

• 2 pieces of M5M44256BJ 256K x 4-Bit DRAM (SOJ 20 Package) (FPM) (9 Address Bus+4 I/O Bus) 5V operation
    6 pieces of M514256A 256K x 4-Bit DRAM (DIP Package) (FPM) (1 piece is missing) (9 Address Bus+4 I/O Bus) 5V operation
    In total 1024kB of RAM

Here is specs for my intended RAM replacement:

• HYB 514171BJ 256K X 16-Bit DRAM (SOJ 40 Package) (9 Address Bus+16 I/O Bus) (FPM) 5V operation
    1024kB of RAM

For easier reverse engineering of card I have removed DIP sockets from PCB and took high resolution pictures and created basic schematic of card with pictures and multimeter which you can find below:

3.JPG
Filename
3.JPG
File size
283.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
4.JPG
Filename
4.JPG
File size
244.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
5.JPG
Filename
5.JPG
File size
185.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I can share Kicad schematics if anyone interested but as i said schematic is an ongoing project.

Here my question begins for electronic gurus in forum. From datasheets and schematic i can understand that i have 16 i/o’s for new chip and i know where to solder them. For address lines main IC have 9 address pins for 4 RAM chips and 9 adress pins for another 4 RAM chips. Will it work with only one address bus (9 pins) connected to main IC? Or this approach is completely false? If it’s possible i want to know how. I have searched forum and internet for similiar approaches but couldn’t find any.
Any advices are welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm not sure about your question using 16 I/O to replace 4 I/O ....
also I would have tested the card with just two add on chips in U10 and U12, those with the two soldered would have made it a 512k card (as the card was also made with 4 soldered and 4 sockets)
and it should have worked as one with out glitches. just thinking out loud 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OTI077 is 32 bit data path with 1MB configuration. Data sheet is out there for it and says it supports up 8 4bit x 256K FPM chips but I think you could redesign to use two FPM 70ns 16bits x 512K drams.
70ns or 60ns are required if ramdac is 80MHz.

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/oakTechno … ogy/OTI-077.pdf

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 4, by whitepawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@horun
Thanks for reply. I have never tested with 4 chips but will try and post results.
@pentiumspeed
Thanks for datasheet. 2x16 Bitx512k FPM DRAM idea is nice. If i could find two 512k chips.
In datasheet there are no pinout for this chip sadly. It says "pinout is same as OTI-067 databook" or something. Searched for 067 datasheet but no luck. Does anyone have datasheet for OTI-067?

Regards.

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked all over and found datasheets for nearly all old Oak Tech chips but not the OTI-67 or 77. Very odd that those two are the only ones lost somewhere, even checked some old VGA schematics but none had either chip.
It might be worth someone with a lot of time of tracing out a vid card to recreate the schematic or even a partial schematic... just thinking out loud...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun