VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have an A7N8X-E I was given for free that the socket tabs are broken, which we all know is bad, but interestingly I noticed it has the mounting holes for a Socket 423/604 style cooler, has anyone done this, will the cooler make good contact with the die of the Athlon XP?

Reply 2 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-08-15, 13:51:

The hole spacing is slightly different from 423. But there are some heatsinks that can work with both socket A and 478. For example Thermalright SLK-800U and SLK-900U.

good to know, may then go back to my original idea of zip ties, i wish i had a 3d printer I'd 100% try to create a retention bracket to hold maybe socket AM3 heatsinks on it

Reply 4 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alpha PAL8045!

After a year of searching I've finally got hold of my favorite Socket A CPU cooler. The Alpha PAL8045. Back in the day this thing was a behemoth, fantastic heat dissipation and looks so industrially hefty.

ALPHA-PAL-8045-1.jpg

ALPHA-PAL-8045-2.jpg

ALPHA-PAL-8045-3.jpg

Period review here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/825/4

Back in the day (when I didn't care about the volume coming from my fans!) I ran one of these with an 80mm Delta EHE (70+ CFM fan).

Reply 5 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alpha PAL8045 was central to silencing that athlon rig I had. Back in the day, PWM and voltage varying to adjust RPM of fan were not in the cards with many boards. This was very close to start of implementing the quiet features to the boards in the near future, but mine does not have these necessary features, and my hearing is not that good, this means extra noise is not welcomed. Thus, made a voltage adjustable card and this Alpha PAL8045 heatsink with fan on low and other fans as well, allowed me to hear the ambient sounds that I wanted to hear instead of that PC drowning this out.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea ill keep an eye out for one of those, and im gonna talk to someone with a 3d printer, honestly maybe making a bracket and sharing it here with yall would be a not bad idea, that way on those boards with the holes you could use a more modern K8 style HSF that are still being made

Reply 7 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote on 2022-08-16, 03:54:

yea ill keep an eye out for one of those, and im gonna talk to someone with a 3d printer, honestly maybe making a bracket and sharing it here with yall would be a not bad idea, that way on those boards with the holes you could use a more modern K8 style HSF that are still being made

I’m pretty sure my Zalman cooler (that was replaced by the Alpha) fits both K7 and K8, by just turning the mounts around and using different holes. Shouldn’t be too difficult to replicate those mounts or create something similar.

Reply 8 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
paradigital wrote on 2022-08-16, 06:38:
candle_86 wrote on 2022-08-16, 03:54:

I’m pretty sure my Zalman cooler (that was replaced by the Alpha) fits both K7 and K8, by just turning the mounts around and using different holes. Shouldn’t be too difficult to replicate those mounts or create something similar.

yea the issue would be deck height, because a k8 cooler would crush the core on an AXP without having the deck to help support it, so it would have to be perfect i think, dunno gonna investigate further. Plus we could possible mount a 120 or 140mm cooler