VOGONS

eBay Experience....

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bought a few things off Facebook Marketplace. Mostly local stuff but I have also a bought and had shipped a few older retro laptops.
Been a decent experience as a buyer. Not sure how it would be as a seller.

Reply 21 of 25, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My recent bad experience buying an electric wheelchair on eBay, that was never shipped, got resolved quickly by eBay. I reported it as not delivered about 30 minutes ago, expecting to have to wait until Wednesday to get eBay to step in. Within minutes, eBay had sent me the refund! And I think the seller had already closed their eBay scamming account. Now I just have to save the extra £300 to buy from a reputable seller, too much money to keep risking on underpriced chairs 😀

+1 to eBay for dealing with this so rapidly.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 22 of 25, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-08-18, 19:00:
effy wrote on 2022-08-18, 14:09:

As a buyer, there's plenty of dipshit sellers too.

Totally agree. I bought a brand new electric wheelchair 3 weeks ago. Didn't notice that they don't ship for 2 weeks (that's on me, of course), and it's still not marked as shipped. Can't request a refund to buy from a genuine seller until Saturday. I need it as I'm housebound and want to be able to get out and have fresh air before I try to sleep, as well as simple things like being able to shop without a carer.

Dang man! For shits!

Summer is over this is the winter of discontent coming up, with nuked energy bills an such! Surely there exists a way that you can claim some government money to get a decent looking carer, perhaps a Filipino or a Mexican, big boobs nice complexions etc, that must be priority number ONE!

Best of luck! Man. I'll chip in to the fund if you don't get sorted!

-Iris

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 23 of 25, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iris030380 wrote on 2022-08-31, 16:44:
Dang man! For shits! […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote on 2022-08-18, 19:00:
effy wrote on 2022-08-18, 14:09:

As a buyer, there's plenty of dipshit sellers too.

Totally agree. I bought a brand new electric wheelchair 3 weeks ago. Didn't notice that they don't ship for 2 weeks (that's on me, of course), and it's still not marked as shipped. Can't request a refund to buy from a genuine seller until Saturday. I need it as I'm housebound and want to be able to get out and have fresh air before I try to sleep, as well as simple things like being able to shop without a carer.

Dang man! For shits!

Summer is over this is the winter of discontent coming up, with nuked energy bills an such! Surely there exists a way that you can claim some government money to get a decent looking carer, perhaps a Filipino or a Mexican, big boobs nice complexions etc, that must be priority number ONE!

Best of luck! Man. I'll chip in to the fund if you don't get sorted!

-Iris

🤣

I managed to get one second hand last week, was delivered Saturday. Of course, on my first long trip, yesterday, it died! I suspect it's a blown fuse. And I loaned my allen keys to someone a few weeks ago, and can't get hold of him on the phone. Think I'll be able to fix it tomorrow though, if it is just a fuse..

Thanks for offering to help with the cost, I don't think I'm going to need it.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24 of 25, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sold quite a bit on eBay. I usually go the extra mile to test my items carefully, describe condition well/accurately, package carefully etc.
So then one day I sold like-new Airpods headphones (I mean barely used, and fully tested). What do I find out next? The SOB on the other end immediately JUMPS to negative feedback, without even contacting me first. And this is after almost 2 decades of positive feedback for me. He effectively made up some crap like feature X not working well (I full well knew it was working). I was totally floored. And that arse was also in different country having used a forwarder (unbeknownst to me), so he refused to return.
Already knew Ebay's policy is buyer first. So I ended up just refunding only to get a conversion to neutral feedback. I left it to karma to take care of things. What can I say, sometimes you get really nasty buyers- though I still think it's quite uncommon.

Reply 25 of 25, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The marketplace community desperately needs a competitor to eBay. They have practically no competition so they are free to do as they please no matter how unfair it is to their customers. The current fee for selling most things is exorbitant at 15% and just greedy. When I first began using eBay in 2000, the fee was about 3% if memory serves.

What also sucks as a seller is the inability to leave negative feedback for shit buyers, like those who bid and then just ghost you when it's time to pay. They just go completely unpunished and as the seller, all you can do is cancel the sale and relist. I also hate that they removed bidder restrictions sellers used to be able to set, like no bidders with less than x feedback, buyers with recent negative feedback, etc. Not to mention no matter the reason for the dispute, eBay will rule in favor of the buyer 99.9% of the time, and plenty of sellers have been royally screwed by dishonest buyers. It's way too heavy handed in favor of buyers.

However, as a buyer it's great. I find stuff on eBay all the time I'd have a very hard time finding locally, if at all.