VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Athlon XP 2600+ on a Foxconn mobo. It ran alright, installed Wimdows 2000 I think. Took some dribers well. But it's not particularly reliable. Should I:

A) Try a different cpu.

B) recap motherboard

Could the power supply be the culprit? It's a Rexxus, and it's P4/AMD ready. Iow contemporary for those times and boards. I suppose I could just try a more reputable newer p/s. I have a graphics card, nothing to write home about. But it's not even installed.

Will Linux fix everything 🤣 🤣 🤣.

Reply 1 of 2, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Inspect the motherboard for bad capacitors.

I would also suggest to try a new PSU. Modern units should work ok. I’m using a relatively new Corsair CX600M with something as old as an abit BX133-RAID (Socket 370 440BX) board with no issues, so I believe you should be able to use something newer as well with your motherboard.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 2 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Run memtest86 or memtest86+. The 4.x versions of both forks should be good for your system. If memtest86 reports errors, something involving the CPU, the board or the memory is not working correctly. It't too bad that memtest errors (or any other memory test program errors) are not always clearly due to the memory. If you observe errors at a single address only, though, the problem is most likely in memory. If you observe errors all over the place, the board or CPU might be bad, too. If you have multiple modules, try swapping them and test whether you get errors at different addresses after the swap. If the error addresses moves, one of your modules is faulty.