VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I was unable to find a PDF or images of a manual, but I think I got enough from a text file that was on the CD-Rom from that thread and various other threads. Thank you!

I had forgotten that this is a DOS era controller and not exactly the same as the other digital gameport controllers that all fell into a black hole when Windows abandoned them. Those include the Logitech Cyberman 2, Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, and Logitech Wingman Extreme, among others supported by the Necroware adapter.

I had mistakedly assumed that the way to install this controller was to plug in both the game port and serial port, so that sent me down a rabbit hole.

I *think* the joystick can be used with either the serial port or the gameport, but not both, and that the spinner may only be available when using the serial connector. The gameport is apparently optional, for those who want to use only the joystick and throttle functions, as there is also a little switch for Throttle/Hat which I guess selects between these.

In any case, now I have tried to get DOSbox to recognize the thing by plugging the serial to USB adapter in and assigning it to COM1, then configuring DOSbox to use COM1 as a serial port (not sureif I did that correctly but I used this in the [serial] section:

serial1=directserial realport:COM1

Then I couldn't install the DOS drivers for the Logitech joystick because DOSbox has a built in mouse driver, but I found a program called MOUSEOFF.COM that apparently kills the DOSbox mouse driver, so I put that in the config to run before the Logitech mouse driver.

Unfortunately, this is where I get stuck again, since the Logitech driver attempts to search for a mouse (really the joystick) but fails with the message:

No devices found during dual device installation

Or if I use a different USB port, I get:

Warning, only one device found during dual device installation
Serial device found on COM1
EGA/VGA connected
Mouse driver installed

I tried both switch positions just in case.

Guess I'll try all of the USB ports? (edit) Oh well, I tried all the USB ports and I can only connect to one of the dual devices on any of the ports. I don't know if the problem is DOSbox, the USB to serial adapter, or something else. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Incidentally, the CD link that you directed me to has the required patch in order to make Tempest 2000 work with the Wingman Warrior controller, so this should be amazing if I can get it working.

I'm attaching the patch for the DOS version of Tempest, since it seems scarce.

Cheers

Attachments

Reply 21 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sadly I dont know how dosbox serial mapping works.
I still highly encourage you to contact necroware or post questions on the github seeing he specifically implemented support for ADI protocol and seems to have one of those joysticks https://github.com/necroware/gameport-adapter/issues/6

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 22 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crash. wrote on 2022-09-14, 15:45:

Incidentally, the CD link that you directed me to has the required patch in order to make Tempest 2000 work with the Wingman Warrior controller, so this should be amazing if I can get it working.
I'm attaching the patch for the DOS version of Tempest, since it seems scarce.
Cheers

That patch (and a Demo) would be from http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=25,0
which Murugan contributed his v1.0 ISO

rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-14, 23:47:

I still highly encourage you to contact necroware or post questions on the github seeing he specifically implemented support for ADI protocol and seems to have one of those joysticks https://github.com/necroware/gameport-adapter/issues/6

I see necroware made Wingman Extreme Digital work. No mention of the Warrior and serial port part / spinner if I read correctly.
They are not the same joystick. Even under Win9x people had issues with the serial part unless running v1.0 per you previous post.
Or maybe I just misread it all ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 25, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

You are correct about the source of the patch. I never knew it existed when I started down this rabbit hole, and even afterwards, when I Googled "Tempest 2000" "DOS" "patch" "Wingman Warrior", I got nothing helpful, so I hoped that by posting something explicitly here, those looking to play the game with this controller from now on may start to find Vogons.org.

I had incorrectly assumed that the Wingman Warrior was installed by connecting both the gameport and serial connectors to a computer. It is my understanding that it is one or the other. If connected via the serial connector with appropriate drivers and the switch in the correct position, the joystick and spinner can function, and if connected via gameport with the swith in the other postion, the Wingman Warrior may emulate a Wingman Extreme with no spinner function. I will find out more definitively when my adapter arrives or if I get a serial adapter to allow it to communicate with DOSbox correctly.

I also reached out to the designer of the Necroware adapter as it was suggested, to ask if they have any insight or ideas into the Wingman Warrior "swift" dual device serial communication, or know anyone who may have been looking at this.

What a weird controller.

Thanks!

Reply 24 of 25, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got it working 😁

The solution was to buy a different USB to Serial adapter. The one that works I got on ebay for $9.

Sabrent 6-ft USB 2.0 To Serial[9-pin] DB9 Rs-232 Cable Adapter

There are several of these, so here is the one I have in the attached photo.

It has a Prolific chipset.

I'm running:
Windows 10
DOSbox 0.74-3 or DOSBox-X 2022.09.0
Tempest 2000 for DOS with CD audio, with the Wingman Warrior patch

When the DOS Wingman Warrior drivers install, it still complains that it only detects one device, but the joystick, buttons, and spinner all work. This may be that it doesn't detect a mouse attached.

I had to use a utility called MOUSEOFF.COM in order to unload the DOSBox mouse driver which conflicts with the Wingman Warrior driver. The downside of this is that there is no mouse support when the Wingman Warrior is enabled. It is possible that a Logitech serial mouse or PS2 mouse could be used and would be recognized by the Logitech drivers, although I haven't tested that.

I tested all the controls (fire, jump, superzapper) and they all work from the joystick.

Cheers!

Attachments

Reply 25 of 25, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a Logitech MouseMan serial mouse and connected it with a second Prolific based USB to Serial adapter and configured DOSBox for the corresponding COM ports. I setup DOSBox to run MOUSEOFF.COM to unload the DOSBox mouse driver on startup, then when it runs the Logitech Mouse driver, it can detect both the Wingman Warrior and Logitech mouse.

Cheers