VOGONS

First post, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think my 486DX4-100 may be slightly unstable because of my BIOS tweaks, but the crash happens so rarely that I don't know for sure if it's the RAM/cache timings or a regular software crash. Are there any good tools out there that puts a big load on the CPU, caches and RAM at the same time, for testing the stability? I run Windows 95 (and DOS).

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 1 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phil’s computer lab has a benchmark suite.

Could try that

For cache and ram memtest86+ is a good one.
Can make boot disks for it

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-11, 22:54:
Phil’s computer lab has a benchmark suite. […]
Show full quote

Phil’s computer lab has a benchmark suite.

Could try that

For cache and ram memtest86+ is a good one.
Can make boot disks for it

+1 as the first thing to run ! Being a test that runs not off the HD or with any OS drivers loaded it can show more deeply if a Ram, cache, cpu hardware issue is at fault.
If it passes then try other other tests based on when you notice the most crashes. Like if under DOS then DOS tests first, if under just WIn95 then well it could be many driver things....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been running WinQuake (v1.09) for over half an hour at 640x480 fullscreen, without issues. Maybe the issues I've had are not related to unstable hardware.
I did play Curse of Monkey Island yesterday (just as a test to see if it would run on a DX4-100), and it froze after like 15 minutes of playing, but it's possible that it was related to buffering issues because it did go out of sync every now and then...

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS