VOGONS

Disable Nvidia second monitor

Topic actions

First post, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there is a possibility to permanently disable the second monitor output on nvidia video cards, 4mx, 580xgl or fx series in Windows Me or to edit the bios?
I have problems with Midtown Madness 1 that tries to detect the video card every time I play it.

Reply 1 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need to know which exact vid card currently and what driver version. Never heard of a 1999 game needing to detect a Vid card on Win9x+ system.
By default if no monitor is connected to the second port then there should not be an issue unless you played and set up a second monitor at some point in the past AFAIK on that same OS.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 23, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the problem with Midtown Madness 1 and redetect video every time I start the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXVt9vDCsY
The problem is present with any Nvidia video card and driver version.
Another question is if I can disable the second monitor, permanently. This is the cause of the problem. I tried from device manager, but no success.
You can modify something in the game with a hex editor, driver or windows?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    69.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    88.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    157.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to disable the secondary video controller instead of monitor.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 23, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it doesn't work, the cause is from the nvidia video card. I tried a combo of 3dfx with an ATI video card and I have no problem but ATI video card is not good for some games.

Reply 6 of 23, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

delete default monitor ?

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 7 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexclaudiu2003 wrote on 2022-11-15, 18:49:

it doesn't work, the cause is from the nvidia video card. I tried a combo of 3dfx with an ATI video card and I have no problem but ATI video card is not good for some games.

So there isn't two nvidia devices in "display adapters" in device manager, just one single nvidia device ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 23, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm seeing the same thing, curious if it's normal or some kind of error. Deets below.

FX 5950
NV 45.23 - hacked in 5950 and 5500
NVTweak installed

In the device manager I see one adapter and two monitors, Syncmaster and Default Monitor. I assume it's for running dual monitors with the unused video port but not really sure.

Reply 10 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC if your card does not have dual monitor connectors it should not be enabling a second monitor capability. My FX-7800 does have dual monitor connectors and enables dual view in Win98 but my MX200 has one and there is not Dual view/nView.
Maybe as mentioned it is driver embedded on later driver versions ???

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 23, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-16, 00:32:

it looks like you have two monitors plugged in?

I have only one monitor, with all Nvidia cards, the monitor that is not connected also appears and it causes many problems with old games

Reply 12 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never had a game complain like in your situation. Maybe it is something with Midtown Madness or maybe if you are running a cracked version of the game it is not saving the video settings you set as it should.
Maybe something in these can help:
FAQ: https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploa … wnload.com_.pdf
Readme: https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploa … wnload.com_.pdf

Reply 13 of 23, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I tried with an dummy vga adapter in clone mode, but the game does not support cloning mode.
Midtown Mandess 1 support only dual view mode, but in windows 9x dual view mode doesn't not support OpenGl mode 🙁 In dual mode view the Midtown Mandess 1 it works perfectly but but if you open other games in OpenGl, it destroys your settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp60wPvItZ4

Attachments

• Graphic2.jpg
    Filename
    Graphic2.jpg
    File size
    184.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Graphic1.jpg
    Filename
    Graphic1.jpg
    File size
    256.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 20221120_203452.jpg
    Filename
    20221120_203452.jpg
    File size
    826.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 23, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have only one monitor. Because of this, I bought a fake adapter that emulates another monitor to save the Midtown Madness settings, but by duplicating the monitors, OpenGl games no longer work in windows 9x.

Reply 19 of 23, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah because it wont output to dual monitors. I mean Ive never tried a to mirror one to another, maybe it will work like that. But as its an emulator Im not sure why you would want to as all its really doing is using memory, because it will still need to buffer the frames its just that you have no way to view them, which seems pointless to me.

Im not sure why you would emulate a second monitor at all. But that is what is causing your problems. Remove the emulator and the video card will not register a device on the connector and turn it off and the game will run properly.
The way to disable the second output, in Windows anyway, is to just not put anything on it.

I mean there is a way, a very elaborate way you could do it but it would take quite some work rewriting the drivers to do it. And at the end of it all the question is why?
But in the rewiting of the drivers the second output will stop working and the emulator adapter will stop working defacto because there is no longer an output outputting to it... So why?

What does this monitor emulator give you that you cant get another way?
Ive never heard of a piece of software that requires such a device, especially not a game.