VOGONS

First post, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attempting to rework and upgrade an old Gateway Essential 500 PC into a Windows 98/DOS gaming machine, and have bought a Pentium III 1000 for it, as an upgrade from the Celeron 500 it came with.

Right now, the biggest issue I've ran into is that while running some preliminary tests, which includes Quake, I have found that this machine performs unexpectedly poorly, whether it is using the Pentium III or the Celeron. In 640x480, Quake version 1.06 on Demo3 under DOS runs at 19.7FPS with the Pentium III and 14FPS with the Celeron. I get that the 810E chipset isn't designed for gaming, but the fact that it performs worse than a Pentium 200 with a Celeron 500MHz is insane.

I have tried switching the PCI video card in and out, and found that framerate is actually better with the PCI card, so it doesn't have anything to do with the external video card.

I originally thought that the performance issues were coming from the fact that there are conflicting reports online as to whether or not that 1GHz PIII would work with that chipset or not, but when I switched the Celeron back in, it still performed far less than expected, so I am stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
Gateway Bryant Intel i810E Motherboard
Intel Celeron 500MHz/Intel Pentium III 1000MHz
256MB PC100 @ CL2
ATi Radeon 9250 128MB PCI
Maxtor 20GB HDD
52X32X52X CD-RW Drive
1.44MB FDD

Reply 2 of 13, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-13, 00:39:

seems normal, you can speed it up with fastvid https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-graphics-boost.html

According to these benchmarks, a Pentium 200 gets around 16FPS with the same settings, I'm getting 14 with a Celeron 500, maybe he has fastvid running but I didn't see that anywhere on there.

Thank you for reminding me of fastvid, I've never used it before and there's performance to be gained there.

[EDIT]
Forgot to link the actual benchmarks themselves, apologies.

https://framebuffer.io/project/quake

I feel as if I should be getting at least 35FPS as a Celeron 500 was extremely close to the latter Pentium IIs in terms of performance. On the Pentium III 1GHz, where a Pentium III 800 is getting 65FPS, I would expect that it would be around 75FPS or maybe even 80. I don't see why it's performing so badly. I used to run Quake on a 500MHz Katmai with an Intel 740 Graphics card and Quake was more than playable at 640x480 in DOS, I'd guess around 40ish FPS.

This wouldn't be such a big deal, but I'm trying to run a lot of 3D accelerated games and I know some of them (such as Half-Life) tax the CPU heavily. If a top of the line CPU from 2000 can't software render a game playably at VGA resolution that was made 4 years prior, when CPUs weren't 1GHz but 20% that speed for the top of the line model, something's wrong. I just can't think of what's going wrong, the RAM is fine, the CPUs are fine, the video card is good, it's just as if there's some serious bottleneck going on and I don't know where it's coming from.

Last edited by athlon_p0wer on 2022-09-13, 03:18. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want something newer you can try MTRRLFBE as well http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 13, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-09-13, 01:04:

If you want something newer you can try MTRRLFBE as well http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm

Thank you. I'll try this and see if maybe it just has something to do with that.

Reply 7 of 13, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried fastvid and am now seeing 29FPS, which seems to be closer to that of a Pentium II 300, so major progress has been made, I am very thankful for the help. I feel like this is closer to what I should be seeing on the Celeron.

[EDIT]
Just reinstalled the Pentium III, and it runs at 42FPS with fastvid enabled. Not anywhere near the 70 or so FPS it should be, but it's a start. I'm going to run a few benchmarks on the system to try and see what else (if anything) is actually affected by this.

Reply 9 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon_p0wer wrote on 2022-09-13, 08:16:

I've just ran all of Sisoft Sandra's benchmarks, as well as 3DMark 99, and the CPU performs exactly as it should in both cases. Maybe this isn't computer specific, but rather Quake specific?

I think its a integrated videocard with shared memory specific. Try to maximize RAM speed or add i810 videoram cache module/chip if its possible.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 10 of 13, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here the place for i810 cache chips place (need some electronics and soldering skills)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    181.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-09-13, 08:20:

I think its a integrated videocard with shared memory specific. Try to maximize RAM speed or add i810 videoram cache module/chip if its possible.

I would try but I honestly have no soldering skills, let alone soldering something that small. As far as RAM goes, I have all the latency options available set to 2. It's running at 335MB/s according to Sisoft Sandra.

Reply 12 of 13, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here, your Quake is running under software rendering or hardware accelerated 3d ?
It's odd because even in software rendering, your 9250 PCI graphics card should be more than enough to have good results.

Reply 13 of 13, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Romain wrote on 2022-09-13, 08:45:

Here, your Quake is running under software rendering or hardware accelerated 3d ?
It's odd because even in software rendering, your 9250 PCI graphics card should be more than enough to have good results.

I'm running Quake under software rendering in DOS at the moment, though I'll be running it under 3D accelerated mode later on. Indeed, the Radeon 9250 increases the performance in Quake over the integrated graphics. I'm not sure exactly what's going on here now that I've ran a few synthetic CPU benchmarks as well as 3D accelerated benchmarks and found that all run fine.