VOGONS

What ISA cards for an IBM 5150?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2022-09-23, 19:07:

Unfortunately Monotech DeluxeFloppy doesn't do IDE. It just provides support for all floppy formats (up to 2.88 MB), which 5150 BIOS doesn't support out-of-the-box.

I wouldn't upgrade CPU in such beautiful, old PC. Just leave it as is, and run period correct software (made for 4.77MHz).
For DOS gaming any 486 simply fits better.

...you're right, I misread their page. Looks like the 5th slot will be for an XT-IDE now.

I have a Super Socket 7 build at home which houses my primary DOS gaming machine, so I don't mind this one running slower software.

Reply 21 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lylat1an wrote on 2022-09-23, 05:47:
I'd like to make a light DOS gaming machine but the motherboard is limited to just five 8-bit ISA slots and 64KB RAM. […]
Show full quote

I'd like to make a light DOS gaming machine but the motherboard is limited to just five 8-bit ISA slots and 64KB RAM.

So far I have the following cards in mind:

VGA
Audio
FDD/IDE/Serial - Monotech DeluxeFloppy
RAM expansion - Lo-tech EMS 2MB

I'm open to suggestions for the VGA and Audio cards, and would prefer "new" cards to vintage ones to avoid capacitor troubles.

What might be a good option for the fifth slot?

Hi there!

There's another Lo-Tech card, the 1MB RAM card.
It allows filling the memory from 0 or 64KB to 1MB.
So you can have 640, 704 or 736KB of conventional memory and a few KB of UMBs (say, 64 to 128KB, depending on the expansion cards).

Alternatively, in theory, you could try combining cards by mounting them together and wiring them in parallel.

Or expand the number of slots.
There used to be external PC bus chassis, also, like the IBM 5161.

ibmexpansion-01-300x205.jpg
Filename
ibmexpansion-01-300x205.jpg
File size
9.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ibmexpansion-08-300x243.jpg
Filename
ibmexpansion-08-300x243.jpg
File size
22.27 KiB
Views
File license

Source: https://vintagecomputer.ca/ibm-5161-expansion-unit/

It's possible to re-build them at home, too.
Some passive ISA backplane can be used, I think.
A ribbon cable and two 1:1 ISA cards are needed, also. Or something similar.
Depends on the length and noise floor, maybe an active transceiver is needed at some point.

Reproduction IBM 6161 extender cards

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … 5161_expansion/

https://wwe.youtube.com/watch?v=AjYHBsnznVU

Edit: As an alternative to XTIDE, there's the DOC+RTC card by Smbaker.
It can interface a DiscOnChip 2000 fladh module and a Real-Time Clock.

https://www.smbaker.com/8-bit-isa-diskonchip-rtc-board

It's fully XT compatible, once the DOC is flashed with 8086/8088 friendly code.
With a NEC V20 CPU, that step could be omitted, maybe.

diskonchip-board.jpg
Filename
diskonchip-board.jpg
File size
344.91 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: Photos added.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 47, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-23, 18:20:

I’m trying to determine which of the chips is the cpu?

The 8088 is next to the casette port (the second DIN socket next to the keyboard port.

I see -5 on a few, does that mean 5mhz?

Yes. The IBM PC runs off a single 14.31818 MHz oscillator. This is four times the NTSC color subcarrier frequency and was a very common and cheap crystal at that time. As the 8088 works best when the clock signal is low twice as long than it is high, the system clock is generated using a divide-by-3 circuit (usually the purpose-built Intel 8284 clock generator circuit), resulting in 4.77 MHz. This clock is used as processor clock, chipset clock and ISA bus clock. It's used to drive the timer chip, too. As all the chips are clocked as just below 5MHz, using the "up to 5 MHz" version of these chips is perfectly fine. The same 14.31818MHz clock also directly drives the CGA pixel frequency. As the frequency is a multiple of the NTSC color subcarrier, the CGA can can use it to drive its mediocre NTSC color generation circuit for the composite output from it. IBM made the 14.318 MHz signal available in the ISA bus so they could save the board space and cost of a dedicated oscillator on the CGA card.

In which case a 16mhz would be nice, but did those have multipliers or did the entire system have to bump its speed to 16 mhz? I gotta imagine the rest of those ancient chips may not like it.

It is quite common to push the IBM design to 10 MHz using chips with a higher speed grade and adding a wait state on the ISA bus. This design is called "Turbo XT". The actual mainboard technology didn't change much between the PC and the XT. Main differences are that the slots are spaced closer, allowing 8 slots instead of 5, support for newer RAM chips allowing more onboard memory and the removal of the cassette port. The most prominent feature of the XT, the possibility to install a hard drive, was not due to a main board change, but due to a more powerful power supply equipped in the case. When the 10MHz machines were arising, the PC and its clones were already replaced by XT clones.

10 MHz is the highest official speed available of the 8088 chip, that's why no faster XT designs got common. Also, the XT design suffered severely from the limited bandwidth of the 8088 bus interface. The 8086 had twice the bus performance, and the 80286 and quadruple the bus performance at the same clock, so instead of trying to push the last out of the 8088 design (there were faster versions of the NEC V20), manufacturers instead started making AT clones that provided considerably more bang for the buck.

Did they have math coprocessors yet back then? Those other chips are just the chipset I am thinking?

The 8087 coprocessor was an optional upgrade that can be installed in the empty socket next to the keyboard port.

Typically, the term "chipset" is used for combinations of two to five highly integrated chips that contain mostly all of the chips of the PC main board, but are more compact and allow for more stuff (parallel/serial ports, video) being placed on the main board along the basic system control functions. The term chipset is also used for single-chip solutions, although calling them a chipset is a little stretch of the name. Single-Chip XT solutions (just add the processor, the BIOS and RAM as extra chips) were nevertheless common at the end of 80s. So essentially these other chips do what a chipset does, but it was not called "chip set" back in the day.

Raising the isa bus clock on a system with ram on the isa would be a good idea if you can do it stable.

The concept of a separate ISA clock is newer than the PC. In the PC, the ISA bus is fast enough to not add extra wait states to the 8088 memory and I/O cycles. The concept of having the ISA clock separated from the processor clock came up around the time of 12 and 16 MHz 286 machines, because ISA cards would fail to operate properly at the processor clock.

In case of the IBM PC, you would first need to split the single clock source into two sources: One clock driving the processor and the bus (which you would increase for higher performance) and a second clock driving the CGA pixels and the timer chip (which needs to be based on the classic 14.318 MHz crystal). That's what Turbo-XT boards do, but can't be done easily on the classic PC/XT boards.

Bottom line: If you want to mess around with the processor speed, don't start below Turbo-XT boards. The 5150 and 5160 are designed in a way that makes overclocking near impossible if the system time, the PC speaker beep frequency and CGA/EGA video timings should not be affected.

Reply 23 of 47, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great explanation. Thanks!

Can higher capacity ram be installed in this unit on the main board?

It looks like it could use a 8087 upgrade math copocessor.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 47, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-24, 19:40:

Can higher capacity ram be installed in this unit on the main board?

Officially, no. On some IBM boards, the upgrade from 64KB onboard RAM (4 banks of 9 chips of 16k x 1 to 4 banks of 9 chips of 64k x 1) is possible with very little modification, though. For the 5150, onboard RAM is just as slow/fast as RAM on add-on cards, so there is no pressing need to install more RAM in the mainboard unless you are running out of slots or can't get a RAM card at a sensible price. If you accept a non period-correct XT multi-I/O card with serial, parallel and floppy on a single card, the 5 slots on the PC are not as limiting as they were in 1981 when you needed three slots for that (possibly two, if you used the parallel port from the Monochrome Display and Printer Adapter).

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-24, 19:40:

It looks like it could use a 8087 upgrade math copocessor.

Yeah, but it is of very limited use. Spreadsheets like Lotus 1-2-3 of course can use the 8087, and numeric simulation tools can use it, too. Some off-brand language runtimes are focussed on "all numbers are floats" (as is Microsoft Basic), and use quite slow x87 emulation if no coprocessor is installed (unless MS Basic, which uses a CPU-optimized floating point implementation that is not IEEE compliant). Most software couldn't afford the slowness of emulated FP, though, and did everything in integer arithmetic. So while you do get a 10x-40x speed up on floating point calculation when adding the 8087, in practice the 8087 is not used much. If you get a 8087 at a reasonable price, you can add one to make the machine "feature complete", which is a valid point in itself. And you can get some software specifically designed for an 8087-enabled 5150 to show off what the machine can do, which is fun. But for retro-gaming typical 5150 software from the early 80s, you just don't need the 8087.

Reply 25 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^For games, maybe. The x87 NPU is useful for astronomy and orbital tracking programs, though.
The latter type is used by radio amateurs, occasionally, for example.
To keep track of the ISS or radio satellites, like the famous AMSAT OSCAR-7.

Here's STS+ on an 4,77MHz XT with Hercules graphics.
Without the x87, the program would have been totally unusable here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGWvsKmJ0k

Personally, I think that an NPU is more important for an XT than anything else.
Later processors, 80286 and up, can use 8087 emulators.
The 808x, 8018x and NEC V20/V30 cannot,
due to their inability of a needed exception handling.

Edit: Long story short, if you're using your vintage PC beyond playing childhood games,
an x87 might come in handy.
For example, as a tool for your other hobbies.
AutoSketch, AutoDesk Animator, Eagle (PCB design), some raytracing software..

An x87 is not needed, but it will make sure that all programs will run without a hiss.
Especially, if a NEC V20/V30 is installed, too - for 80286 code compatibility.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's another kind of EMS card, just found it..
https://github.com/hkzlab/ISA_EMS_2Mb

It's similar to the Lo-Tech model,
but uses proper through-hole components instead of microscopic SMD parts.

Edit: Never mind, just realized you already have the 2MB EMS card from Lo-Tech..

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 47, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, assuming I get the thing to boot (I think it has a dead/shorted capacitor) here's what I'm thinking now:

VGA - To be determined
Audio - Snark Barker or Blaster Board
FDD/Serial - Monotech DeluxeFloppy
RAM expansion - Lo-Tech EMS 2MB
HDD - Rear-bracket-accessible CF card adapter

Another thing I'd like to add is a RTC, anyone have a good suggestion for one of those? Perhaps mounted on a multi-function card?

Edit: Are there any AST Sixpak clones these days? They did a lot and included RTC.

Reply 28 of 47, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't get much out of VGA with this machine, better EGA, but if you don't have an EGA monitor than your options are limited.

If you're going to get a VGA card, get a Western Digital or S3 card. They should be pretty compatible. Stay away from Tseng (doesn't implement EGA well)

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 29 of 47, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm curious about the need for VGA as well. Other than for using with a VGA monitor, it's not that useful on a 5150 (esp. for gaming).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 31 of 47, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PC's case is already holding up my workstation's modern-day monitor at eye level for me, and it has VGA.

Putting this motherboard inside will be a nice addition, but I can't see myself with a CGA monitor at the desk as well.

Reply 32 of 47, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-09-26, 23:11:

You won't get much out of VGA with this machine, better EGA, but if you don't have an EGA monitor than your options are limited.

If you're going to get a VGA card, get a Western Digital or S3 card. They should be pretty compatible. Stay away from Tseng (doesn't implement EGA well)

What's your opinion of Oak-based cards? I found one of those with the manual the other day.

Reply 33 of 47, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lylat1an wrote on 2022-09-27, 01:40:

What's your opinion of Oak-based cards? I found one of those with the manual the other day.

I have one Oak ISA VGA card, and it works alright compatibility-wise, but the output is very dirty with some color artifacting.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 34 of 47, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lylat1an wrote on 2022-09-26, 21:40:
VGA - To be determined Audio - Snark Barker or Blaster Board FDD/Serial - Monotech DeluxeFloppy RAM expansion - Lo-Tech EMS 2MB […]
Show full quote

VGA - To be determined
Audio - Snark Barker or Blaster Board
FDD/Serial - Monotech DeluxeFloppy
RAM expansion - Lo-Tech EMS 2MB
HDD - Rear-bracket-accessible CF card adapter

The EMS board is not what you need. You need a conventional memory board, e.g. the Lo-Tech 1MB RAM board. The Lo-Tech 2MB EMS board is not an "bigger version" of the 1MB RAM board, but an entirely different thing. I don't know of any EGA or VGA software that will run with just 64KB of conventional memory.

Reply 35 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^I think the same. Best is having both.
Let's remember, Expanded Memory (EMS) was invented for XT machines in first place!
Thinking that EMS equals 386/486 era PCs and software is so wrong! 😉
It's just that these PCs got MMUs (Paging Units) capable of simulating the real thing (EMS boards and EMS enabled chipsets).

Lylat1an wrote on 2022-09-26, 21:40:

Another thing I'd like to add is a RTC, anyone have a good suggestion for one of those? Perhaps mounted on a multi-function card?

Edit: Are there any AST Sixpak clones these days? They did a lot and included RTC.

The Smbaker DOC+RTC card that I mentioned previously.. It's sold as a plain PCB, too.
Both components are completely independent. Just occupy the RTC part with a Dallas module and one or two ICs.
Or install an RTC chip and a coin cell holder.

Anyway, maybe other cards are still available as an alternative?
My father used to have a multi-i/o card in his XT that had RTC, serial, parallel and floppy controller..

Edit: Or just omit the RTC and use something else: network time (NTP) via ethernet connect or a radio receiver (dongle for COM port).
In Europe, there's the highly accurate DCF-77 time signal from Germany.. 😉
- The only downside of both alternatives is the extra CPU overhead, both use polling or many interrupts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JU_Ufovf9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUTV66A_V8

radio_dongle.jpg
Filename
radio_dongle.jpg
File size
84.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Europe_DCF77_de.svg.png
Filename
Europe_DCF77_de.svg.png
File size
199.53 KiB
Views
File comment
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_DCF77_de.svg
File license

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 47, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-09-27, 17:21:

^I think the same. Best is having both.
Let's remember, Expanded Memory (EMS) was invented for XT machines in first place!

I never meant to imply so. But given the cards Lylat1an wants to put into his 5 slots, I consider EMS the least important one. As long as no advanced multi-function cards are installed, you require

• A conventional memory card is absolutely required. 64KB of conventional memory is sufficient for simple 1981 and 1982 applications running under MS-DOS 1.0, but that's it
  • A video card is required
  • A floppy controller + I/O card is recommended. A serial port is required if you want to use a mouse. A PC without a floppy drive doesn't feel right
  • Starting applications from a CF card using the XT-IDE is way more convenient than using floppy disks

So four of the five slots are already filled. Given the choice between an AdLib-compatible music card and an EMS board, the AdLib board seems more relevant for a system related to gaming.

Reply 37 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^It's all ok, you didn't say anything wrong afaik - please never mind.
By "let's remember" I meant all of us (let us), it was meant as a general statement. 😄

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 47, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2022-09-27, 17:52:

Given the choice between an AdLib-compatible music card and an EMS board, the AdLib board seems more relevant for a system related to gaming.

Is an Adlib usable on a 5150?

Adlib supported software is going to be from late 80's onward, which will generally struggle on an original 5150 and its XT architecture.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 39 of 47, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-27, 18:21:
mkarcher wrote on 2022-09-27, 17:52:

Given the choice between an AdLib-compatible music card and an EMS board, the AdLib board seems more relevant for a system related to gaming.

Is an Adlib usable on a 5150?

Probably borderline. Tools like an AdLib music sequencer will probably work fine on an 5150, as they don't need a lot of CPU power. There will be some games that still run acceptable on the 5150, but already support AdLib music, but the overlap is likely small. For some games, low performance doesn't make the game unplayable, but just slightly more tedious. I'm thinking about early LucasArts adventures like Monkey Island (original 16-color edition) for example. This game supports AdLib sound, was distributed on 8 360KB floppies and should run at an acceptable speed on the PC/XT.

Putting a VGA card into a non-turbo XT machine is borderline as well, EGA should be good enough for most software that runs nicely at 4.77 MHz, but some people get their fun from experiencing the limits and trying to push them. At that point, I consider a VGA and an AdLib card in an 5150 similar: It's mildly challenging and tedious to find software that makes good use of the card in a system like that, but if you do find such software, it can feel rewarding. This might make a nice YouTube video: "Games that support AdLib music and work on the 5150" or "Games that support VGA graphics at acceptable performance on the 5150". If you substitute "5150" by "12MHz AT machine" in these video titles, they suddenly get boring...