VOGONS

First post, by Rubix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have installed this XT-CF card in my PS/2 Model 25SX but it won't bring up the option ROM of the card.

I tested and used the card in an AST 486 and it works perfectly in that computer. I installed MS-DOS 6.22 on a 32 MB CF card.

The PS/2 however shows error 161 and 163 (invalid CMOS settings), and when I press F1, it tries to boot from floppy disk and then goes straight to BASIC. No option ROM of the add-on card is shown.

The problem is that the FDD is bad and I am trying to avoid having to repair it. I did replace the CMOS battery but never set the BIOS settings because I can't boot from a diagnostics disk.

Is there anything I'm not aware of with these computers? Should I use different jumper settings on the motherboard or card?

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

161 and 163 are set with any configuration change or any power loss from the CMOS battery. You are stuck with that until you fix floppy and run the setup disk.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by Rubix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-02, 23:57:

161 and 163 are set with any configuration change or any power loss from the CMOS battery. You are stuck with that until you fix floppy and run the setup disk.

So it won't jump into any option ROM as long as the values in the CMOS have not been set?

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It hands off to option ROMs after POST completed and the errors stop POST completing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.