VOGONS

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know there have been a number of projects for adding PS/2 mouse ports to old PCs, namely the keyboard controller mod, and the various serial to PS/2 converters, but has anyone yet attempted converting a bus mouse port to work with a ps/2 mouse? The KBC mod is nice when it works, but I think there are instances where it fails when the BIOS uses some pins on the KBC for turbo functions. It seems the serial converters are kind of bandwidth starved, which becomes an issue over 640x480. The whole point of the bus mouse was that it provided a lot more resolution, so it seems like an ideal candidate for conversion. I think Inport cards are not all that uncommon, and a lot of ATi VGA cards had the connector too. Are bus mouse controllers hard to come by, or is it possible to build them from scratch?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are few different incompatible standards of bus mice. Basically the bus mouse is raw mouse signals going to an ISA card where processing of the raw signals is done and then exposed to computer is some way. PS/2 and COM port mice essentially have most of that ISA card inside them.
Making your own is a bit complicated because of these reasons.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-10-05, 15:56:

It seems the serial converters are kind of bandwidth starved, which becomes an issue over 640x480.

what would serial speed have to do with mouse precision (dpi)?

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-10-05, 15:56:

The whole point of the bus mouse was that it provided a lot more resolution

afaik the whole point was cost, omitting microcontroller and using 8255 with lots of irqs burning cpu time. Same reason (cost) amiga/atari ST used raw encoder signal mice.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one seems self-evident.

afaik the whole point was cost, omitting microcontroller and using 8255 with lots of irqs burning cpu time. Same reason (cost) amiga/atari ST used raw encoder signal mice.

The bus mouse predates PS/2.

Reply 4 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-10-07, 00:16:

This one seems self-evident.

in the same way Trabant was a proof composites had no future in cars

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-10-07, 00:16:

The bus mouse predates PS/2.

and serial mice predate bus ones

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 11, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this thing can be reversed ?
Bus mouse adapter for PS2 computers... = opposite direction, but.... ?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andysretrocompu … in/photostream/

Or maybe it actuall works in both directions already ?
(guess not, as both ends of the adapter block has a identical looking bus/in-port connector)

BusMouse2PS2adapter.JPG
Filename
BusMouse2PS2adapter.JPG
File size
213.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PS: more pictures here (not mine!):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234556099514
There also exists PS2 adapter cables as well as DB25 serial ones, that will all fit into that rectangular adapter, not only that DB9 serial.

Reply 6 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that card and adapter. There are different dongles that plug into the white box. I believe there are dongles for PS/2 and Serial. You wouldn't happen to own the manual, would you?
I think it was designed to allow the inport mouse to work in serial and PS/2 ports. I'm not sure if it's bi-directional. I haven't touched mine in quite a few years, and some of my cables are frayed. I'd like to know more about it. I think at one time I tried to plug a Leaguer bus mouse into a PS/2 port using this adapter but it didn't work. As Tiido said, not all bus mice (mouses?) were made to the same standard, so that might explain the reason.

Reply 7 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If anyone needed to eyeball a Logitech card to campare, I posted one here... A pic to show the grandchildren, Logitech Bus Mouse and Card Together!&

I looked up that PMIC chip around then and some supplier claimed to be sitting on a few hundred, enough for hobby scale projects I guess, but not for "real" production.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2022-10-07, 20:53:

BusMouse2PS2adapter.JPG

Afaik this is the part Microsoft cheapened out of in their mice - microcontroller interpreting raw encoder signals send by the inport mouse and outputting serial/ps2

Reply 9 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone ever opened the little white box?

Reply 11 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha! Great find!