VOGONS

First post, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a motherboard that I bought some time ago with a CPU, cooler, and RAM included with the package all installed? The cooler was big name brand but wired in a way that was kinda jank and was horribly loud and was made worse after trying to blow dust out of it. So I decided to go out and replace and bought one that somebody here suggested. What I didn't know at the time was the socket was damaged. When I removed the cooler it socket looked fine. But then I tried to mount the new cooler to it and well it turned out the socket was previously damaged leaving no way to mount the cooler on as the hook has nothing to latch on too. Apparently this is a common problem with this socket. At the time I gave up on the whole thing, but now I want to revisit it and am unsure what to do. for reference the board is a ASUS A7M266

EDIT: i should mention I have no ability to take pictures of anything, but pretty much the only thing that is broken off is the middle hook on the right side of the socket

Reply 1 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How was the old cooler attached? Using the mounting holes around the socket? If you still have it (and the mounting hardware) is it possible maybe to exchange the fan for a modern/silent one?

Also, there are plenty of Socket A coolers that engage all three hooks on both sides. If you don't go for a very large and heavy one, you should be fine with only 2 hooks on one side.

Reply 2 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have another Socket 462 board you're willing to sacrifice (like some gutless PCChips or such), you could use Robert B's guide:

Re: Hello, World! :D - Robert B's PC builds - oogle away freely :)

I have personally succeeded doing this on a ECS K7VZA Rev3.0, with the socket saved from a GA-7VT600 (which I have installed another socket on, anyways - it just needs caps at the moment). The only thing I did not need was the hammer, as apparently enough precision with a big flathead screwdriver got my broken socket out. Enough care got the new one in without bending any of the exposed pins.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 7, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just look for a NOS Zalman CNPS7000A or CNPS7000B, I have the same board and thats what I use. If is a sealed NOS unit it should have the socket 462 brackets with it that screw in and use the 4 through the board holes around the socket.

Other brands might have units that can use those 4 mounting holes... I dont know.

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://arvutiladu.ee/en/cpu-cooler-mount-space.html
cooler_dimension.jpg

measure diameter of the holes, visit hardware store and buy 4 long screws 1-2 sizes smaller, big washers etc. Get crafty.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2022-10-25, 21:50:

How was the old cooler attached? Using the mounting holes around the socket? If you still have it (and the mounting hardware) is it possible maybe to exchange the fan for a modern/silent one?

the old cooler is a thermaltake super orb. It had a plate that latched on to the sides of the socket, 3 of the hooks on the left side, the middle on the right

Grem Five wrote on 2022-10-25, 22:14:

Just look for a NOS Zalman CNPS7000A or CNPS7000B, I have the same board and thats what I use. If is a sealed NOS unit it should have the socket 462 brackets with it that screw in and use the 4 through the board holes around the socket.

Other brands might have units that can use those 4 mounting holes... I dont know.

I'll try to keep an eye out.

Reply 7 of 7, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Zalmans come in 2 different flavors - Cu (all copper) and AlCu (aluminum & copper) ...... oh and with or without LED fan.

pUuw7Zzl.jpg

Just need to make sure its sealed as most loose versions I have seen for sale pretty much never have the socket 462 standoffs.

yb47Tfcl.jpg

If you look below the Zalman above the northbridge fan you can see a blue bracket at the base of the cooler..... those are the pieces needed for motherboard through hole mounting. Only the A and B models of the 7000 include that bracket.

The ones I have I found all under $20 US including shipping, problem is most people selling them are doing it for 2x to 4x this price.
I just picked up the AlCu one last week for a bid of $5.50 (w/$13.65 shipping) and one sold yesterday for $9.00 (w/$10.00 shipping) but other than that they dont come up super often....

Like I said I think there might have been other brands that used similar mounting as well, other option as mentioned is find a cooler with 3 hole bracket.

Y9zHubsl.jpg

Just make sure the base isnt too big as to run into the row of caps on the left side of the socket.