VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

I'm working on my 386 to get it back on my desk and one of two things preventing me from so doing is this:

mb9OFbV.jpg

I have a 4X CDROM, SCSI, and I want to drive it off this board.

I've downloaded the drivers and put them on diskettes from this site. http://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/azt … loads.php#NXPro This is, apparently, a Sound Galaxy NX PRO Extra

A UK advert from September 1993,
advertising several Aztech sound boards

Drivers
For drivers, copies of original floppy disks and more, go to my Aztech Downloads page.

Aztech NX Pro IDESound Galaxy NX Pro / NX Pro Extra
Introduced: 1993
FM synthesizer: Yamaha YMF262-M (OPL3) or LS-212
Chipset: AZTSSPT0592-U01 (1st generation card)
DAC: Yamaha YAC512
CD-ROM Interface: Mitsumi and Panasonic (NX Pro), SCSI and IDE (NX Pro Extra)
Wavetable Support: None
Plug & Play: No
FCC ID: I38-MMSD802 or I38-SGNXPRO

Now, when I install the software - I tried both versions - (soundcard works well, BTW), I run the CDROM setup and get this:

xtoE6C6.jpg

Does anyone know how I unlock or otherwise obtain the SCSI drivers for this card? The reason I want to drive it off the card is that my ISA bus is full, and I wanted to save space by combining the SCSI controller and the soundcard into one slot.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That empty socket is apparently meant for a SCSI controller chip.

See http://www.amoretro.de/2012/11/aztech-sound-g … -pro-extra.html

So you would need the actual chip to be installed in addition to software that supports that chip to have SCSI functionality, AFAIU.

EDIT: See also

Some NX Pro cards (like the one shown above) have a Mitsumi and Panasonic CD-ROM header, compatible with the Mitsumi LU005S or Panasonic CR-521 and CR-522 CD-ROM drives. Others have a SCSI and AT (IDE) CD-ROM header - this was called "NX Pro Extra". Aztech provided an optional 'Future Domain SCSI Upgrade Kit' which included a Future Domain SCSI controller chip and device driver software. The large socket in the top-left corner of these cards is for this SCSI controller chip (see first image below).

Source: https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/aztech.php

Reply 2 of 14, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah, I just assumed it was for a ROM. I just got a CDROM to be driven off a Trantor T130B which lacked the ROM as well - it wasn't needed in this application.

aDuZlgt.jpg

The NCR IC performs that function, I am assuming that the square IC on the Sound Galaxy does the same? If I could just get the right software to check it...

Hell at this point, I'd even take the IDE portion of the setup to work, the drive doesn't HAVE to be SCSI. *edit except on my card, it seems to be a CR-52X interface... Well, I do have two untested drives, I might as well give that a shot.

Reply 4 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would probably work ! Can you peel the sticker back on the big chip above the FCC ID ? If it is a AZT 2316 then you should be able to use one of the IDE cdrom drivers that came with the Washington 16 (I38-MMSN830)/ Reveal Sc400 R4.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-10-29, 21:58:

That would probably work ! Can you peel the sticker back on the big chip above the FCC ID ? If it is a AZT 2316 then you should be able to use one of the IDE cdrom drivers that came with the Washington 16 (I38-MMSN830)/ Reveal Sc400 R4.

According to
https://www.wavetable.nl/used-to-own/aztech-s … -galaxy-nx-pro/
almost certainly an AZTSSPT0592-U01 and not an AZT 2316

According to http://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/aztech.php , IDE should be possible, but it is unclear how to enable it .

Reply 7 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2022-10-31, 20:50:

Where do I get CDROM or ASPI drivers for NCR 53C400 based controllers?

Look here :

https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 6&menustate=0,0

Reply 8 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you haven't got it working please post a picture of the scsi card.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 14, by Old PC Hunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually pretty curious about this subject - I have this exact same card and would like to use the SCSI feature too. Never seen one with the chip socket populated. I guess the only chip we can use for this is a Future Domain chip, or is there another chip that is compatible with Future Domain chips? I would like to see if there is any way to get a loose chip rather than having to find a card with one because it seems to cost a fair bit to get a card with that Future Domain chip. It also might not be the easiest thing for me, a novice, to get off the board. If anyone has any ideas i'd be happy to hear it.

Set up retro boxes:
DOS:286 10 MHZ/ET4000AX1MB/270 MB HDD/4 MB RAM/Adlib/80287 XL
W98:P2 450/Radeon 7000 64 MB/23 GB HDD/SB 16 clone/384 MB RAM
XP:ATHLON X2 6000+/2 GB RAM/Radeon X1900XTX/2x120 GB SSD/1x160 GB and 1x250 GB 7.2k HDD's/ECS A740 GM-M/SB X-Fi

Reply 10 of 14, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update - I didn't really want to destroy that Future Domain SCSI card, so instead I managed to find a CT 1770 with SCSI and the requisite Adaptec controller is in place. I'll get around to powering my CDROM off this eventually... The Aztec/PB knockoff is happily powering a 2C CR 562B in a 286 just now 😉

Reply 11 of 14, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2023-08-29, 15:42:

Update - I didn't really want to destroy that Future Domain SCSI card, so instead I managed to find a CT 1770 with SCSI and the requisite Adaptec controller is in place. I'll get around to powering my CDROM off this eventually... The Aztec/PB knockoff is happily powering a 2C CR 562B in a 286 just now 😉

I'm either not sure whether it is worth it.
I mean, on that Aztec it is a SCSI controller without any DMA or BIOS support...
You'd better go with an 1542 that supports disks up to or greater than 8 GB.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2023-08-29, 21:55:

I'm either not sure whether it is worth it.
I mean, on that Aztec it is a SCSI controller without any DMA or BIOS support...
You'd better go with an 1542 that supports disks up to or greater than 8 GB.

Hah, the only thing that SCSI will be powering is an 8X CDROM in my NEW NEC 386! The hard drive will remain the original (size) I had when I was a kid, a 42 Mb. Having some problems with getting BIOS to recognize it, but I have an ATBIOS mod on a network card that will happily drive a 512 Mb CF. I'll be underusing the SCSI on the card (with an Adaptec chip), but if I can't get the CF card working again, it's as easy as a SCSI2SD which I already have in my PS/1000.

Here's to another 5 years of tinkering those to get them where I want - I recently (after 15 years) created a working C64 with drive and 1802, 1541 etc. There's time 😉

(RIFA caps blow...)

Reply 13 of 14, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2023-09-12, 04:26:

The hard drive will remain the original (size) I had when I was a kid, a 42 Mb.

😀
That size was in "my" first 386 SX too. I remember 965 / 5 / 17. One day I had a backup of it and typed the forbidden "format c:" command. Later I walked from 2 MB via 3 MB to 5 MB. Aztec SBpro and Mitsumi CDROM (2x with DMA support) followed later. Man, those CDROMs were huge compared to that tiny HDD.
However, today it is pumped up to 20 MB (4 MB EMS), Adaptec 1542B with 1 GB drive, ET4000/W32 ISA graphics, and a Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP (signal processor decompresses Windows sounds that have been converted to ADPCM).

Reply 14 of 14, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2023-09-12, 09:24:

That size was in "my" first 386 SX too. I remember 965 / 5 / 17. One day I had a backup of it and typed the forbidden "format c:" command. Later I walked from 2 MB via 3 MB to 5 MB. Aztec SBpro and Mitsumi CDROM (2x with DMA support) followed later. Man, those CDROMs were huge compared to that tiny HDD.
However, today it is pumped up to 20 MB (4 MB EMS), Adaptec 1542B with 1 GB drive, ET4000/W32 ISA graphics, and a Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP (signal processor decompresses Windows sounds that have been converted to ADPCM).

Actually, it was mine - in 1995 my uncle gave me a 386 SX 16 with 1 Mb RAM - totally unupgradable. My 2nd I got in 1996 from middle school, a giant NCR DX 16 with 4 Mb RAM. That's the one I recently found at a friend's place and purchased. It is not at all the same motherboard, and it is an SX 16, but otherwise it is the same. I'm going to make a thread about it later on when I have time.