VOGONS

First post, by andy120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there info around for restoring floppy drives and cd drives? i have 2 cd drives which work just will not open without manual ejecting. i also have a bunch of FDD's plus a usb one but ,the usb in particular, cannot read each others disks.

Powered by one Harris 286-12

Reply 1 of 9, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm interested in this as well, as half my working CD drives (IDE, SATA, doesn't matter) will no longer eject or have to be manually ejected a few times to start working.

The only thing I found online about fixing cd-rom drives is "change the belt" and "grease the gears". Did that on 4 drives, different years and manufacturers, and they still won't eject. It feels like they stick someware.

Reply 2 of 9, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an article on how to do floppy drive alignment-- https://polprog.net/blog/fdalign/

The CD Rom drawers that don't open could be a broken eject button, dirty mechanism, a broken motor, or a broken belt

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000214.htm

If, after following the above recommendations you cannot open the CD-ROM drive using the front button, it's likely defective and should be replaced. It is not worth trying to repair a defective CD-ROM drive.

Reply 3 of 9, by andy120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

having disassembled both my cd-roms, theissue is that the driving spindle does not cleanly disconnect from the dome on the inside of the lid. with the lid off, they cycle perfectly. have not found a fix yet.

Powered by one Harris 286-12

Reply 4 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found that a way to refresh the drive's belt is to gently hold it against a rolled up Scotchbrite pad with my thumb and use my other hand to pull it through several times. This takes off the hardened layer that makes the belt slip.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm curious about repairing older CD-ROMs as well. I have a Toshiba 6x CD-ROM that won't open properly. It sounds like the gears may be slipping.

It's an all-plastic affair (no belt) on the inside which has made it a bit tricky to disassemble. Haven't gone further than what is pictured, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has had success repairing this type of drive.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you can leave it apart like that and give it power, it could be possible to see if its a worn out gear or not. I wouldn't have any clue where you could get a new gear. But you could try greasing the gears with some plastic grease. On that note lubing the entire mecanisim and the gears on the tray etc might help alivate friction so it opens closes. might be the gear on the capstan motor that drives the tray. That could be replacible.

Reply 8 of 9, by majinga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have a Cd drive with no belt. A NEC if I remember correctly.
It had issue to open as well. I fixed it by cleaning and greasing all the movable parts.

Clean and grease is never a bad thing for old drive.

Reply 9 of 9, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had one CD with a cracked small nylon gear; it was pressed onto the axle and with time it eventually failed, splitting open between two cogs.
Got a replacement from a scrapped drive with same gear size.
(An attempt at gluing the original didn't help, as the stress made it crack open again when trying to reseat it, and if the gear cogs were not properly spaced, it would snag on the meeting gear).