Has anyone got it please

One of the dead links http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

Reply 1 of 4, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bhuthogg wrote on 2022-11-08, 06:55:
Hi. I'm trying to source a patched driver for the 8400gs pci card for 98 I've found a few dead links. […]
Show full quote

Hi.
I'm trying to source a patched driver for the 8400gs pci card for 98
I've found a few dead links.

Has anyone got it please

One of the dead links http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

You can try the links on the last page of this thread

https://msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67 … -by-zak/page/4/

They go to the wayback machine and I have checked the last two links there do actually work.

Both zip and exe files downloaded just fine, might be worth throwing them in the archive, these cover Geforce 6, 7 and 8 cards for 98se.(Both AGP and PCIe variants, pretty sure they should work just fine for PCI versions which are using a bridge chip)

Reply 2 of 4, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid there were never any CUDA support (8 and onwards) for Win9x at all. A long time ago I tried 82.69 and similar drivers for a 8400GS myself, but I never managed to get it working.

On the other hand, GeForce 7 series can work with 82.69 drivers on Win9x.

Reply 3 of 4, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSS10999 wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:32:

I'm afraid there were never any CUDA support (8 and onwards) for Win9x at all. A long time ago I tried 82.69 and similar drivers for a 8400GS myself, but I never managed to get it working.

On the other hand, GeForce 7 series can work with 82.69 drivers on Win9x.

these ones appear to be tweaked drivers, perhaps it'll let a 8400gs install and function as a display adapter.

The readme that comes with it is quite extensive and has a ton of detail, even has support for 9000 series cards too, with the proviso that PCIe may or may not work correctly depending on motherboard.
Really nothing to lose by giving them a go I guess, if they work great if not then at least you know to go to a lower series GPU.

Personally I dont see the point in running anything above a 6000 series GPU on 98 and even then a 6000 series GPU is overkill for any 98 game and likely also incompatible with many games from DX5/6.

Reply 4 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no way for 8400 GS or ANY other DirectX 10 class card for that matter, to work as 3D accelerator under Windows 98.
In best case, you may be able to get "Standard VGA" driver working - and that's it.
"Tweaked" driver only adds HardwareIDs to .inf file, and it may even brick your Win98 install after using it.

This is snake oil, it is by no means a driver or even attempt at it (adding hardware IDs just alllows auto-installation to proceed, nothing else).

157143230295.png