Topic actions

Reply 40 of 50, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-05, 20:55:
dormcat wrote on 2022-12-02, 02:50:

Specifically, an ASRock MB with Intel 865 series chipset and LGA775 socket that supports 65nm Core 2 series CPU, with 775i65G R3.0 being the best of them.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asrock-775i65g

Not sure why you wanted to say by simply pasting just a link. 😅

Anyway, avoid the first edition as it only supports NetBurst CPU. Grab R3.0 if you can (but it's rare and highly sought after by retro circles and scalpers), or R2.0 with updated BIOS to use Core-based CPU, which are faster and cooler than NetBurst.

Reply 41 of 50, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still think the job of recording and encoding VHS tapes for archival purposes would be much better suited to newer hardware. I have seen no reason why an old system is needed aside from using the 9800 Pro. Unless you have access to an AGP system to test it, I'd be leery of spending a whole bunch of time and money on a system just to use that specific card. 9800 Pros are notorious for having memory problems and very often are completely unusable because of this. You won't know whether it works until you've found all of the proper parts to build this system, made sure that they all work independently and gotten the system up and running with video drivers installed.

Alternatively, you could just find one of the higher quality Windows 10 compatible capture devices recommended by people who specialize in doing this kind of thing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments … re_video_tapes/

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 42 of 50, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have experience working with capturing video as a flirtation for a short time. Back in the day, none of consumer capture cards even a so called VCR with capture built in showed quality. They looked bad. That VCR was summarily returned for money back and this was from USA.

Even I had card best one I can find, the chipset was claimed to be 10 bit resolution in the datahsheet, but was derated to 8 bit or less in software that was from the capture card handbook, and had noise in the PCB as herringbone pattern on the captured video.

This meant I had to strip off the tracks from the s-video input all the way to terminations network which is 3 inches away around the chipset, modified the network correctly and installed coax cables to make new connections from the input to there. This made herringbone pattern noise disappear but capture still have that poor resolution vs original video as viewed on good TV and on captured video on computer. This ended the experiment. And this was in around 2008 time and card was bought new.

Even the ATI theater chipset might not be best. Now we have choice of getting used commercial grade capture boxes with very little loss.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 43 of 50, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agreed going full Domesday Duplicator makes more sense in this case. It was written to do direct capture of RF signals from Laserdisc players. But can now also do VHS, CD, and audio cassettes.

You can then use software to decode the signal to output playable media. But more importantly, you can back up the original signal, and processing can improve over time letting you get better results.

https://github.com/harrypm/DomesdayDuplicator

https://github.com/oyvindln/vhs-decode

Reply 44 of 50, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2022-12-05, 22:50:
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-05, 20:55:
dormcat wrote on 2022-12-02, 02:50:

Specifically, an ASRock MB with Intel 865 series chipset and LGA775 socket that supports 65nm Core 2 series CPU, with 775i65G R3.0 being the best of them.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asrock-775i65g

Not sure why you wanted to say by simply pasting just a link. 😅

Anyway, avoid the first edition as it only supports NetBurst CPU. Grab R3.0 if you can (but it's rare and highly sought after by retro circles and scalpers), or R2.0 with updated BIOS to use Core-based CPU, which are faster and cooler than NetBurst.

I wanted to ensure this was the make/model you were talking about.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-12-06, 00:54:
Yes, I have experience working with capturing video as a flirtation for a short time. Back in the day, none of consumer captur […]
Show full quote

Yes, I have experience working with capturing video as a flirtation for a short time. Back in the day, none of consumer capture cards even a so called VCR with capture built in showed quality. They looked bad. That VCR was summarily returned for money back and this was from USA.

Even I had card best one I can find, the chipset was claimed to be 10 bit resolution in the datahsheet, but was derated to 8 bit or less in software that was from the capture card handbook, and had noise in the PCB as herringbone pattern on the captured video.

This meant I had to strip off the tracks from the s-video input all the way to terminations network which is 3 inches away around the chipset, modified the network correctly and installed coax cables to make new connections from the input to there. This made herringbone pattern noise disappear but capture still have that poor resolution vs original video as viewed on good TV and on captured video on computer. This ended the experiment. And this was in around 2008 time and card was bought new.

Even the ATI theater chipset might not be best. Now we have choice of getting used commercial grade capture boxes with very little loss.

Cheers,

SScorpio wrote on 2022-12-06, 01:05:
Agreed going full Domesday Duplicator makes more sense in this case. It was written to do direct capture of RF signals from Lase […]
Show full quote

Agreed going full Domesday Duplicator makes more sense in this case. It was written to do direct capture of RF signals from Laserdisc players. But can now also do VHS, CD, and audio cassettes.

You can then use software to decode the signal to output playable media. But more importantly, you can back up the original signal, and processing can improve over time letting you get better results.

https://github.com/harrypm/DomesdayDuplicator

https://github.com/oyvindln/vhs-decode

I'd have to give the Domesday Duplicator a go. But first, I want to see how it compares with the 9800 Pro.

Reply 46 of 50, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-10, 02:42:

I've decided to go with an Intel Core 2 processor. I'm unsure if I should go with a dual or quad core.

From my own research and testing, dual core makes the most sense for Windows XP era software. I simply went for the fastest dual core processor I could get (E8600). Most software of that era won't take advantage of four cores.

On the other hand, if you do have specific software that you plan to use and you know will make use of those extra cores, then it might make more sense to go quad core. But only if you can identify a specific application for it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 47 of 50, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-10, 02:52:
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-10, 02:42:

I've decided to go with an Intel Core 2 processor. I'm unsure if I should go with a dual or quad core.

From my own research and testing, dual core makes the most sense for Windows XP era software. I simply went for the fastest dual core processor I could get (E8600). Most software of that era won't take advantage of four cores.

Would the X6800 be a good one to go with?

Reply 48 of 50, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-10, 03:10:

I haven't used that processor, although I'm sure it would probably be fine based on clock speed and intended use case.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 49 of 50, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-10, 03:24:
Phileholic wrote on 2022-12-10, 03:10:

I haven't used that processor, although I'm sure it would probably be fine based on clock speed and intended use case.

I guess I'll go with that one then.

The sound card I'll be going with will be a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Reply 50 of 50, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the MB, I'll instead be using an ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 since a SATA2 will improve the quality of the capture, like no dropped frames, etc.

The HDD will be a Seagate brand, but I'm unsure which model to use. I know the storage limit will be 2TB.