Gpu advice needed for a WinXP build.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2022-11-27, 12:12:

The link RandomStranger posted should show all the EA games that has the craptastic online activation DRM. Most of them are games you probably aren't interested in, some can be bought from GOG like Dragon Age: Origins and at least in Mass Effects case the DRM can be circumvented.

It feels weird how we've reached a point where we have games with original discs that require online activation, but then downloadable versions of the same that can be played completely offline.

Though I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, since at least we do have those GoG versions.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21 of 28, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even weirder to think that your legally bought media and valid user license is absolutely unusable without breaking the law (where I live crippling/removing the copy protection in and of itself is technically illegal) while the downloadable version is completely DRM-free.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 22 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

where I live crippling/removing the copy protection in and of itself is technically illegal

In many cases it isn't. EULA is not law.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 28, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sounds rediculous enough that no reasonable prosecuter would persue a case of a single end user like that who isn't sharing files, let alone impossible to be caught doing it to begin with. Laws like that are not intended to go after single end users, they are made to go after pirates, distrubuting and selling copyrighted software. Given the facts of that case, no jury would convict and you would never be caught in the 1st place anyways. Becasue you own the game anyways and havn't ditributed, no one can claim 'damages' and without damages you cannot bring or win a case like that, its how laws actually work.

Reply 25 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Crysis on XP and above you can use https://github.com/ccomrade/c1-launcher

Supports all game versions in one executable. Provides additional headless server executable optimized for running Crysis se […]
Show full quote

Supports all game versions in one executable.
Provides additional headless server executable optimized for running Crysis servers on Linux.
Completely DRM-free launcher.
No compatibility mode is required to make the game work on modern systems.
Fixes all startup issues, including the well-known crash of 32-bit Crysis on modern AMD processors.
Smaller files, especially game launcher.
Annoying startup video ads are automatically skipped.
Very High settings are available in DX9 mode.
Game running in DX9 mode can connect to DX10 servers. Everything works just like in DX10 mode.
Server does not kick players with the same CD key anymore.
It is possible to run multiple Crysis instances at once.
Advantages of pre-ordered version are available to everyone.
Details of any game or server crash are automatically written to the log file.
The connect [IP] [PORT] console command works without a GameSpy account.
Fixes the low refresh rate bug in DX10 mode. Thanks to Guzz and Vladislav.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 28, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-11-27, 21:02:

sounds rediculous enough that no reasonable prosecuter would persue a case of a single end user like that who isn't sharing files, let alone impossible to be caught doing it to begin with. Laws like that are not intended to go after single end users, they are made to go after pirates, distrubuting and selling copyrighted software. Given the facts of that case, no jury would convict and you would never be caught in the 1st place anyways. Becasue you own the game anyways and havn't ditributed, no one can claim 'damages' and without damages you cannot bring or win a case like that, its how laws actually work.

No need for a prosecutor. Back when I was living in UK I remember there was time when many people using torrents on static IPs got letters listing what they were "uploading". Usually those letters contained at least 2 titles and an offer of "settlement out of court" for £2500~£5000. I heard that many people actually paid this money (especially those that were not computer savy and it was their teenage kid who was doing the torrenting). Then a slew of articles came out in press claiming this stuff is unenforceable in UK courts and letters stopped(as far as I know).

A slightly similar letter was being sent in Poland too in early 2000s, but it was actually coming from cable/broadband providers listing "your infringements" and telling you they'll cut you off if you continue. Again I never heard of anyone being cut off as a result(unless for downloading TB of stuff).

So there we go, law is one thing and practice another. I'm not up to date on all the laws, but my impression was that you can only be prosecuted by a public prosecutor only if you distribute cracked stuff commercially. You can get sued privately only if they can prove damagesn(andvin many countries the judge will throw a book at the claimant for wasting their time unless it is something BIG).

One thing I miss from the time when I was living in UK is thrift stores where you can buy pc games for £0.99. There is no such thing in PL (at least in my town).

Reply 27 of 28, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GeForce GTS 250 is a refresh of GeForce 9800GTX+ is a refresh of GeForce 9800GTX is a refresh of GeForce 8800GTS512 is a refresh of GeForce 8800GT.
8800 was a success and Nvidia were not shy to reuse it.

Paired with Core i7, my 512MB GTS250 ran Dragon Age: Origins in 1920x1080 max settings with AA very well. Windows XP, driver ver. 340.52. There were just a pair of outdoor scenes in Brecilian forest when FPS briefly dipped to 20-ish but in general it was smooth. Game is released in 2009. So GTS 250 covers most titles from years 00's. Maybe in the latest ones you would have to slightly sacrifice anti-aliasing quality preset.

I found 2 old posts that claim some compatibility is lost after ForceWare ver. 190.62 (1, 2). That is an argument against using newer (and more energy efficient) cards like Kepler as they won't work with drivers from 2009.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 28 of 28, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:18:

GeForce 8800GTS512 is a refresh of GeForce 8800GT

That part is not true. They use the same GPU (G92/G92b), but the GTS has more shader cores, the GT is the cut down version which just happened to release a couple of months earlier. The GT is the budget version of the GTS and not the GTS an updated version of the GT.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png