VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys,

setting up an old compaq deskpro 5166 pentium 166 from 1996..
system didnt come with original hdd and have added another 1.2/1.7gb hdd ( similar size to original to avoid bios size limitiations)

the problem is i get a 2 beep alert and the error message : 162-system options not set .. and it halts

AFAIK this is due to the hdd being changed and needs configing and or flat battery and the time/date needing to be set..
i need to enter the bios, but as some of you may know the compaqs of this era stores the bios setup program on a partition on the hdd.. as the new hdd hasnt been setup as such there is no way for me enter the setup..

how have u guys resolved this issue?

Reply 1 of 2, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your PC has FDD and model is Deskpro 2000 5166, then exist Softpaq SP15674 (downloadable on HP/Compaq support websites) - this allow you to create three floppy with diagnostics and setup utilities, build new diagnostics partition on HDD and store setup parameters. Instructions are in .txt file.

Attachments

• Filename
    sp15674.txt
    File size
    4.2 KiB
    Downloads
    24 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    sp15674.exe
    File size
    3.36 MiB
    Downloads
    24 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 2, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-11-27, 11:00:

If your PC has FDD and model is Deskpro 2000 5166, then exist Softpaq SP15674 (downloadable on HP/Compaq support websites) - this allow you to create three floppy with diagnostics and setup utilities, build new diagnostics partition on HDD and store setup parameters. Instructions are in .txt file.

thanks very much..
i will have a go at that..