VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, i atach some pictures, i only get this bar of last picture, no hdd or fddboot

i say what i tested

- enter bios OK
- disconnect hdd/fdd
- disable cache

the computer do not reach the point when try to boot from hdd or fdd, stops just before

dont even the fdd turn on

Any ideas? thanks!!!

IMG_20221127_184526.jpg
Filename
IMG_20221127_184526.jpg
File size
81.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20221127_184534.jpg
Filename
IMG_20221127_184534.jpg
File size
67.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20221127_184540.jpg
Filename
IMG_20221127_184540.jpg
File size
81.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you see in the BIOS? Some people reported that the toshiba laptops wont boot without a CMOS battery, perhaps you need to replace that? You could also remove the RAM stick (there should be some onboard soldered ram) to see what happens.

You mentioned that you disabled the HDD, do you know if it even is working? Same with the FDD. Do you have a CDRom? If so, see if you can have it boot from CD

Reply 2 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gilly76 wrote on 2022-11-27, 23:41:

What do you see in the BIOS? Some people reported that the toshiba laptops wont boot without a CMOS battery, perhaps you need to replace that? You could also remove the RAM stick (there should be some onboard soldered ram) to see what happens.

You mentioned that you disabled the HDD, do you know if it even is working? Same with the FDD. Do you have a CDRom? If so, see if you can have it boot from CD

Hi, yes the HDD is working and boot in other computers. Floppy same, i tested. No CDrom

I removed ram but same problem, never reach the "insert disk" or whatever

I did not believe cmos battery was a problem, my other toshiba from same era all works fine with dead cmos batery, but i will replace and tell you, thanks

Reply 3 of 4, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's getting that far, it's probably all working apart from the HD detection.
I'm not sure why the floppy drive wouldn't be reading but HD detection is quite integral to the Toshiba BIOS working so best to resolve that first.
First thing is wait 5 minutes from that blinking cursor and you'll see what actual error there is.

Does the hard drive spin when the laptop is running?

Has the 210CS been in parts recently? Or had parts swapped between other Toshiba Satellite 4xx / 2xx laptops? The reason I ask is that the sound and HDD board has a couple of different versions and I found that one from a Satellite 430 won't work in a Satellite 410, the HDD wouldn't detect.
If the 210CS has been in parts and you do not hear the hard drive spinning up - take it apart again and make sure that the little white connector with 6 wires, is plugged in. (It's in the bottom left of the laptop by the power switch) That white wire is the power cable and the HDD won't be powered if that's unplugged 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-11-28, 02:35:
If it's getting that far, it's probably all working apart from the HD detection. I'm not sure why the floppy drive wouldn't be r […]
Show full quote

If it's getting that far, it's probably all working apart from the HD detection.
I'm not sure why the floppy drive wouldn't be reading but HD detection is quite integral to the Toshiba BIOS working so best to resolve that first.
First thing is wait 5 minutes from that blinking cursor and you'll see what actual error there is.

Does the hard drive spin when the laptop is running?

Has the 210CS been in parts recently? Or had parts swapped between other Toshiba Satellite 4xx / 2xx laptops? The reason I ask is that the sound and HDD board has a couple of different versions and I found that one from a Satellite 430 won't work in a Satellite 410, the HDD wouldn't detect.
If the 210CS has been in parts and you do not hear the hard drive spinning up - take it apart again and make sure that the little white connector with 6 wires, is plugged in. (It's in the bottom left of the laptop by the power switch) That white wire is the power cable and the HDD won't be powered if that's unplugged 😁

Hi, i replace cmos battery, but same problem, let stay for more than hour on cursor, no change

The HDD is spinning ok, and even just before cursor, looks like start reading. I exchange the HDD for a very old 120mb one, that is INCREDIBLE noisy, and i realize that yes, just before cursor try to read something beause i hear

About been in parts, i can say almost for sure no, last owner i think was first, was a bussiness company, and then i did not disasemble or change anything beside HDD

thanks