VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.

I'm planning to set a high-end Windows XP computer, thinking to buy; Asus H81M-K motherboard.

Just wanted to ask, before I proceed, if the board would be compatible with Windows XP?

Link:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/ … business/h81mk/

Or a Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tr/products/page/mb/H410M-S2H-rev-10

I choose these mobo because it's the only new (but supported by XP?) models I can buy.

None of them has "Windows XP" section under drivers page.

Any other model suggestions are much welcome, if it'd be easy to find a new one.

Thanks a lot.

Reply 1 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do not buy Asus H81M. We have one and is gimped and worse fan header does not work on PWM. Go one step higher on chipset for haswell CPU motherboard. Not H81 chipset.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This was recently discussed already.
See Newest possible systems for Windows XP and Windows 7
(and I think it will come up a lot in the future)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 7, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even some generic OEM H61 board will reach the maximum performance you can see in XP. Not sure what the point is of any faster. For ease of installing avoid Haswell since it doesn't officially support XP (there are some unofficial chipset drivers but they're unofficial for a reason.)

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 5 of 7, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So in the end, would it be possible to have Windows XP running stable on that mobo?

Just want to learn this before I wait about a month (shipping delivery) and see the Snappy Driver installer find nothing..

P.S.; Asus's support page for that mobo has no drivers for XP - instead, I'll try to install the drivers like the way as Phils does here;

https://youtu.be/LjR2X39BVyo

Reply 7 of 7, by Jaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-14, 02:30:

meh, nothing wrong with h81. Asrock h81m can even overclock K CPUs.

Yes, it can, but so can H81 and B85 boards from Asus, MSI, and others. However, the small VRMs on those cheap H81 boards are your limiting factor. It doesn't matter how much cooling the CPUs have, the VRM itself will throttle power delivery long before the CPU reaches its limit. But really, what's the point of OCing a SB, IB, or HW CPU for XP? There aren't any appreciable gains.

Official driver support for XP ends at Ivy Bridge, as said. In terms of usefulness for XP, going from Ivy to Haswell doesn't net you anything, also as already said, and using tweaked unofficial drivers to get everything working isn't worth the hassle. Finally, for that specific board, I'd say don't bother because I've used it and think there are much better options. Few fan headers, no USB 3.0 front panel header, just really not worth it. If you're dead-set on a low-end FlexATX Haswell board, the MSI H81-E34 or ASRock B85-DGS are much better options.

For WinXP on Intel, the 6 and 7 series boards will be your best bet because they'll give you the best mix of old and new. The ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 board I use has USB 3.0, PCI slots, and a floppy drive controller. I used a standard WinXP install CD with AHCI drivers on a floppy and did a perfectly normal OS install. No tricks, no driver slipstreaming, no after-the-fact driver changes. I don't know of any Haswell board that has PCI slots or floppy support ( not saying none do ). Speaking of slots, you'll want to stick with full ATX boards if you want more than one PCI slot. Again, not saying there aren't any, but I don't know of any mATX boards have more than one PCI slot. Drop in a cheap i3, maybe even Celeron, and you'll be good to go. For graphics, a GTX 750 Ti can be had for under $50 and doesn't require an auxiliary power cable so it should work with any power supply you have.