VOGONS

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a modern mechanical keyboard I'd like to use on a Pentium 1 that only takes PS/2 as input for keyboard. This is a USB C based keyboard, if that matters. For a modern computer, I'd obviously just use a USB C (male) to USB A (male) cable to connect it to the USB port.

Can I use a passive adapter, i.e. a passive adapter that implements USB A (female) to PS/2 male?

Or do I need an active adapter?

Reply 1 of 8, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The mechanical adapters will work only if the keyboard supports AT/PS2 mode directly, so... just try it, it used to be that most compatible ones came with the adapter in the box but nowadays it's unrealistic to expect the manufacturer (never mind the brand) to know what chip and firmware they used in 2018 week 25 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2022-12-28, 11:19:

The mechanical adapters will work only if the keyboard supports AT/PS2 mode directly, so... just try it, it used to be that most compatible ones came with the adapter in the box but nowadays it's unrealistic to expect the manufacturer (never mind the brand) to know what chip and firmware they used in 2018 week 25 😀

Yeah this keyboard doesn't appear to support AT/PS/2 mode directly. Tested it with a typical purple adapter.

So I need an active adapter? Anything that's known to work? Recommendations?

Reply 3 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard do you have? Many pentium 1 mobos support usb 1.0/1.1

There are several adapters floating around the group that people have made. They are mostly diy adapters though.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 8, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-29, 03:08:

There are several adapters floating around the group that people have made. They are mostly diy adapters though.

ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/4 … p55t2p4-300.pdf

I see it supports USB, but I don't see any ports or headers.

Reply 5 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-29, 03:08:

afaik USB keyboard support was non existent up to ~1998? Bios needs 'USB Legacy support'.

$5 solution https://github.com/No0ne/ps2pico

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, 430hx! Excellent!!

Yes it should have usb somewhere. And my 430hx mobos have legacy usb kb option. Does this? Idk. Probably?

Anyway. Find your usb headers and research the pinout. There are many users here with that board they can help with that pinout. I have one but it is busted if I recall and a early version.

Also be sure you have the latest jan bios it looks like he has one for that board.

web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Re: Diy modding support for k6+And 120gb hard drives into bios roms

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 8, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-30, 14:44:

afaik USB keyboard support was non existent up to ~1998? Bios needs 'USB Legacy support'.

$5 solution https://github.com/No0ne/ps2pico

Holy moly! I've been looking for something like this for ages. Did you build one?