VOGONS

First post, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I currently have a Dell Dimension 486SX25B. Inserted is a picture of the specific motherboard. I found really good documentation over at The Retro Web with all the jumper settings I need. Except bus speed. I have successful swapped out the CPU for a 486DX-33 and 66. But of course it is at 25MHz bus, so speeds respectively were 25 and 50.

All the documentation I have seen shows this platform came with CPU's all the way up to 66Mhz. And the board has jumpers for such, but no documentation I have found speaks to how to change the bus speed.

Ionge story short, based off my findings, I suspect their has to be a way to change the bus speed, I just don't know what that way may be.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure? It's hard to see but there's an unpopulated Y1 and what appears to be the 14.31818 populated underneath. Might it use a clock generator chip? Any idea what the DIP switches are for?

Reply 3 of 9, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First time I see on-board Paradise VGA, nice.

I can't help you with the jumper settings, but what happens if you try a few jumper positions? I don't think you'll wreck the board with that...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 4 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ICS branded chip is the clock generator, I see some resistors nearby that most probably are connected to the freq control pins. They are the key to changing speed, how exactly I don't know, hopefully datasheet is available of it and it'll tell exactly how to connect the pins for the needed clock.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 9, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a link to the board

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-d … dx2-5#downloads I believe this one is it.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-s … ev.-2#downloads this board looks like it as well though.

Here is a better pic of the jumper area. Most of those jumpers are accounted for tho. The DIP switch is for configuring the onboard video. That empty Y1 next to the crystal is interesting I must say.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 4 pins on lower right side of the clock generator specify CPU frequency (multiplied by 2).

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 13.30.58.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 13.30.58.png
File size
214.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So my guess that they are either wired through some jumpers or hardcoded.

Should be easy to find it out.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 7 of 9, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The empty Y1 position looks like a space for a larger/taller format crystal installed in the same holes as the crystal installed below it, but with the legs bent 90deg so that the body of the crystal lies parallel to the PCB.

The two pads are not connected and are there to mechanically attach the body of the crystal by soldering if required.

I'd be looking at the function of the W2 and W3 jumpers.

Reply 8 of 9, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mdog69 wrote on 2023-01-12, 22:44:

The empty Y1 position looks like a space for a larger/taller format crystal installed in the same holes as the crystal installed below it, but with the legs bent 90deg so that the body of the crystal lies parallel to the PCB.

The two pads are not connected and are there to mechanically attach the body of the crystal by soldering if required.

I'd be looking at the function of the W2 and W3 jumpers.

W2 clears CMOS

W3 does :
I/O bus speed select SYSCLK/2 pins 2 & 3 closed
I/O bus speed select SYSCLK/1 pins 1 & 2 closed

Sounds promising, but it wont post when configured to "SYSCLK/1". It will only post when configured to "SYSCLK/2"