VOGONS

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a hankering for building an ultra tiny 386 with one of those everything-on-a-16bit-isa-card sbc's (PC/104 is nice, but ISA is really convenient). Most come with video , but some don't, and I'd want to add audio too - that means a total of 2-3 ISA slots.

That's just the right amount that you would find on an old desktop case riser.

Is there anything (except solder points for +5, +12, -12 and ground) to stop the use of a small ISA riser as a backplane for a sbc and one or two cards?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-01-11, 11:45:

Is there anything (except solder points for +5, +12, -12 and ground) to stop the use of a small ISA riser as a backplane for a sbc and one or two cards?

No.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done this and it works, this particular SBC has super I/O and video integrated so the extra port is for the sound card.
I got an ISA single port angler, soldered another ISA connector onto the edge connector - along with the ATX connector from one of those 24pin to 20 pin ATX connectors that I sacrificed.

IMG_3707 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3707 (Custom).JPG
File size
517.64 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_3705 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3705 (Custom).JPG
File size
695.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

There's a little header for the on/off switch and the power wires were soldered onto bits of stripboard to add some strength.

I considered doing this to a 3 port ISA riser but didn't in the end because I don't like the idea of soldering onto the hard gold pins of the ISA header. Later I designed up a PCB to be a 3 port riser which simplifies the wiring significantly for SBCs:

IMG_0023 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_0023 (Custom).jpeg
File size
483.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0016 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_0016 (Custom).jpeg
File size
449.12 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah - that 'shoebox' formfactor is exactly the sort of thing I am looking to achieve. Great stuff!

Did you 3d print the IO bracket holder or did you find a supplier?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's all 3d printed with some wooden dowels to give some strength to it, since I had those laying around at the time. I didn't share the designs because the PCB design has a couple of flaws, specifically in that it didn't need to be 2 boards and the ATX connector is too close to the cards.
If you're interested though, I'd be happy to share them after I get a chance to fix them. I haven't thought much about this since 2020 when I got the 5x initial PCBs made 😀