Topic actions

Reply 21 of 63, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-01-22, 14:37:
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-22, 10:09:

I'll try a new chip. I was curious as to why the bios settings save fine, and reading.writing the entire EEPROM was fine too, but only the ESCD gives me an issue.

If it turns out to be the RTC chip, I'm looking at $30 for a new one. And replacing it is a gamble since I'm not sure that's what the problem is. It would be maybe better to just buy an entirely new motherboard...

PS: I just pulled all 9 cache chips from the board and it has no effect.

BIOS settings are written to RAM in the RTC module. ESCD is written to ROM in the flash IC. Totally different.

Replace your flash ROM

Not always. https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/how … s-option.50405/
The Winbond W29EE011-15 is not a "block" type eeprom like the Intels or MX28F1000 are "block" types so it may or may not be in the eeprom.
Usually it goes to eeprom if a block type, or goes to segment in RTC if not, but am sure there are exceptions and maybe why no BIOS update ever found (even wayback machine had none)..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 63, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try disabling system bios cachable and playing with advanced settings in advanced menu. I had this issue which I recall being caused by one of the advanced settings but it was a long time ago

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 63, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:55:

Interesting. From the VCFED thread that sounds like it may just be a Phoenix affectation. I've never owned a post-486 board with a Phoenix BIOS so that would explain why I've never encountered storing ESCD in the NVRAM

Reply 28 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I know the chip in that thread (AT29C010) will work on my board?

I thought that a new Winbond chip would fix it since people said the old one was probably worn out. I don't see how get another chip would for the issue seeing as I've got a new one in there, but I'm willing to try I guess. Just don't know which suitable replacement to get.

Reply 29 of 63, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just an idea, maybe you already did it the "right" way, but don't just copy the old chip, use instead a clean image downloaded from the net. I once had a board that got stuck at "Verifying DMI data pool..." because of a flash chip gone bad, and a 1:1 copy on a fresh chip behaved exactly the same. Downloading the latest bios found on the net solved the issue.

Reply 30 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2023-01-27, 11:07:

Just an idea, maybe you already did it the "right" way, but don't just copy the old chip, use instead a clean image downloaded from the net. I once had a board that got stuck at "Verifying DMI data pool..." because of a flash chip gone bad, and a 1:1 copy on a fresh chip behaved exactly the same. Downloading the latest bios found on the net solved the issue.

There is no bios available on the net unfortunately 🙁

Here's my board:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/azza-5is

Reply 32 of 63, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try a BIOS from another mainboard that has the Intel FX chipset and the SMC super-I/O chip. Chances are good you find one that´s working, all mainboard manufacturers were producing FX mainboards .
Start with filtering Intel + 430FX + socket 7 / socket 5 in retroweb:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/?showIma … 74&cpuSocket1=4
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/?showIma … 74&cpuSocket1=3

Now pick those with SMC super-I/O and 48-pin keyboard controller and start testing. Abit and Biostar look promising...

Reply 33 of 63, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This here page says 5IS v3.x is the same as 5IW v1.x?
(It's stated in the manual title, see the "Downloads" tab).

So that's the same model that you have, but a different revision (and a different BIOS id).
Meaning there's bound to be some hw differences between them, but who knows what they are exactly.

Btw there's also some mobos that have the same BIOS id as yours, such as this Jamicon board.
But the date is different and also it's Award v4.51PG, unlike yours.

Reply 34 of 63, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2023-01-28, 00:11:
This here page says 5IS v3.x is the same as 5IW v1.x? (It's stated in the manual title, see the "Downloads" tab). […]
Show full quote

This here page says 5IS v3.x is the same as 5IW v1.x?
(It's stated in the manual title, see the "Downloads" tab).

So that's the same model that you have, but a different revision (and a different BIOS id).
Meaning there's bound to be some hw differences between them, but who knows what they are exactly.

Btw there's also some mobos that have the same BIOS id as yours, such as this Jamicon board.
But the date is different and also it's Award v4.51PG, unlike yours.

Good point. That board has the Winbond I/O not the SMC like the AZZA. But the idea of the Award bios is very good.
I think the Abit AB-PT5 which has same SMC I/O and VIA KB controller and Award BIOS as the Azza board that Majestyk hinted too may be a good try for an alternate BIOS to test.
Ohh and just a reminder: those 82C42 KB bios are 40 pin in the DIP configuration 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Abit AB-PT5 works. It updates the ESCD and starts booting. I noticed that it updates every time I restart, though.

I guess now I can pinpoint that the bios was corrupted somehow. I'd like to find the original bios somehow and get it back 100% but I don't think it'll be possible unless I find the exact board on eBay.

Reply 37 of 63, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-28, 11:19:

The Abit AB-PT5 works. It updates the ESCD and starts booting. I noticed that it updates every time I restart, though.

I guess now I can pinpoint that the bios was corrupted somehow. I'd like to find the original bios somehow and get it back 100% but I don't think it'll be possible unless I find the exact board on eBay.

Does it print "Updating ESCD... Success" or just "Updating ESCD..." on every boot? If the latter, it's not actually updating it

Reply 38 of 63, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-01-28, 14:58:
Syntho wrote on 2023-01-28, 11:19:

Does it print "Updating ESCD... Success" or just "Updating ESCD..." on every boot? If the latter, it's not actually updating it

Without "Success".