PC "waits" for 15 seconds on boot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-02-10, 14:34:

Update your BIOS 😀

Getting a scary warning just before updating, so I didn't go through with it. I took the download link from ASUS P5A-B and P5A info and help.. It seems to warn about the difference between ALADDIN5-P5A-B-0 and 2-ALADDIN5-P5A-B. It's similar enough that it might be referring to the exact same thing, but it feels risky to continue.

218148380-e4cb93fd-3f4f-448d-bd83-7abde3c93c79.jpg

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 21 of 24, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wkjagt wrote on 2023-02-10, 16:53:
Getting a scary warning just before updating, so I didn't go through with it. I took the download link from ASUS P5A-B and P5A i […]
Show full quote
Babasha wrote on 2023-02-10, 14:34:

Update your BIOS 😀

Getting a scary warning just before updating, so I didn't go through with it. I took the download link from ASUS P5A-B and P5A info and help.. It seems to warn about the difference between ALADDIN5-P5A-B-0 and 2-ALADDIN5-P5A-B. It's similar enough that it might be referring to the exact same thing, but it feels risky to continue.

218148380-e4cb93fd-3f4f-448d-bd83-7abde3c93c79.jpg

No pain - no gain)))
I am risky in that case 😉

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 22 of 24, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe try version 1010 from here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-p5a-b#downloads , it would still be an update from your current 1007.

Looks like the beta BIOS POST string went for a 4 digit year code which might be confusing things. Perhaps the year is intruding in to the model string when the flasher is checking if it's safe.

Reply 23 of 24, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2023-02-10, 17:06:

Maybe try version 1010 from here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-p5a-b#downloads , it would still be an update from your current 1007.

Looks like the beta BIOS POST string went for a 4 digit year code which might be confusing things. Perhaps the year is intruding in to the model string when the flasher is checking if it's safe.

Same warning, but I trust theretroweb.com, so I updated anyway, and all went well! I now have the latest version. Since the boot pause went away for who knows what reason before updating the BIOS anyway, I don't know if this'll make any difference, but at least it's up to date now. And the pause didn't come back either, so all seems well! I haven't done any extensive testing yet but Borland C++ starts up fine, so for now I am hopeful.

Thanks everyone for helping out!

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 24 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad it is working. Maybe there was something odd with Y2k stuff causing the issue, and after you played with date it cleared itself.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun