VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's some years I use this motherboard as test system for almost any agp video card due to his agp universal slot, plus it supports both sdram and ddr (not at the same time).
Furthermore it is windows98 and dos friendly it makes this a very nice test machine.
Anything I throwed in worked (except for very last agp cards like 3850 which crashed after installing drivers in windows xp, no matter if vanilla or modded).

That being said I've found during the years several issues:

Bios is not fully ACPI complaint, Windows xp crashes during installation if there isn't the first com port enabled (works fine without acpi).
HT is not really supported, there is a bios voice but when enabled with the Pentium 3.06ghz it makes the system unable to boot.
Motherboard is timings and memory picky, despite only using 333 mhz there is no way to use T1 if 2 ddr dimms are used.

My main issue is that windows xp takes from 60 to 90 seconds to boot. I tried both my tweaked iso (mostly unattend and removed disabled useless services, updated drivers and blabla) and original windows xp sp3 cd.
Bios is latest version available.
I tried different hard drives, to exclude issues, I also loaded default bios options.
During windows xp loading the system just stops (no hard disk reading\writing) then it begin to read\write again.

Then I got an idea, try the old good bootvis, here is the response:

Vanilla.png
Filename
Vanilla.png
File size
53.29 KiB
Views
File comment
XP sp3 vanilla
File license
Public domain
Mod.png
Filename
Mod.png
File size
54.38 KiB
Views
File comment
XP sp3 tweaked
File license
Public domain

So the problem seems to be that isapnp.sys. Unlucky it's something that can't be erased (despite the motherboard has no isa slots).

Any suggestion about how to fix this issue?

Reply 2 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update driver with what?
I already installed the sis ide drivers, it does the very same behaviour.
It's like the computer is idling for a minute, no read or writing to the hard drive\cf card.
The same doesn't happen on windows 98.
Dma and ultra dma are enabled:

Immagine.JPG
Filename
Immagine.JPG
File size
22.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Immagine2.JPG
Filename
Immagine2.JPG
File size
32.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-20, 17:11:
Update driver with what? I already installed the sis ide drivers, it does the very same behaviour. It's like the computer is idl […]
Show full quote

Update driver with what?
It's like the computer is idling for a minute, no read or writing to the hard drive\cf card.
Immagine.JPGImmagine2.JPG

I think that your IDE utility report is only reporting what the IDE Device says it can support, not what is actually in use between the controller and the device at the current moment. My experience is that devices will only report UDMA2 if a signal is getting through on pin 34, so it looks like you have an 80 conductor cable, which is the correct cable for this.

I would expect that the device should run at the highest common mode available between the controller and the device as long as UDMA is enabled for the storage controller in device manager, and it looks like you have that set correctly, too.

The SiS 962L storage controller on your board only supports up to UDMA6, so that is the mode your drive is likely using.

I don't know that any manufacturer ever made a PATA IDE controller for a PC or a SATA PATA bridge that supported UDMA7, but I'm always looking.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:37:
I think that your IDE utility report is only reporting what the IDE Device says it can support, not what is actually in use betw […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-20, 17:11:
Update driver with what? I already installed the sis ide drivers, it does the very same behaviour. It's like the computer is idl […]
Show full quote

Update driver with what?
Immagine.JPGImmagine2.JPG

I think that your IDE utility report is only reporting what the IDE Device says it can support, not what is actually in use between the controller and the device at the current moment. My experience is that devices will only report UDMA2 if a signal is getting through on pin 34, so it looks like you have an 80 conductor cable, which is the correct cable for this.

I would expect that the device should run at the highest common mode available between the controller and the device as long as UDMA is enabled for the storage controller in device manager, and it looks like you have that set correctly, too.

The SiS 962L storage controller on your board only supports up to UDMA6, so that is the mode your drive is likely using.

I don't know that any manufacturer ever made a PATA IDE controller for a PC or a SATA PATA bridge that supported UDMA7, but I'm always looking.

That's probably right, bios reports ATA133:

photo_2023-03-21_14-15-45.jpg
Filename
photo_2023-03-21_14-15-45.jpg
File size
199.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your problem is related to the IDE DMA then maybe try the Universal ATA drivers ?
http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/uni_ata.php
(I'm not sure, I'm just guessing).

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA