VOGONS

First post, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I recently picked up a complete Leading Edge-branded 486, model CPC-2008. It has a Daewoo motherboard, part 9916510200. I've been looking for documentation on this board but had no luck with Google search, The Retro Web, etc. Any other ideas where I might find jumper settings, etc. for this thing?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post a good picture of the motherboard. If you cannot get a complete board picture take one looking into the case at the board, and then close ups of the jumpers.
Daewoo owned Leading Edge from 1989 until the late 1995 bankruptcy, the farthest I could go back was to the CPC2300 (but no real info on it either).
added: biggest problem is that was when the Internet was just getting going so many old websites or info are long gone.....specially for Daewoo Teletech Co Ltd that made the computers, is like all info previous to that has vanished.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try and get some good pictures. A lot of the board is covered up when installed in the case and the drive cage doesn't appear to be removable. At some point I will have to fully disassemble the machine anyway to clean up some residual corrosion. The PO already snipped the battery off.

Reply 3 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Extracted the board and took some pictures. Motherboard, option ROM, and SW2.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jumper blocks

Attachments

• JP30.jpg
    Filename
    JP30.jpg
    File size
    813.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • JP11.jpg
    Filename
    JP11.jpg
    File size
    487.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • JP5 through JP9.jpg
    Filename
    JP5 through JP9.jpg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Correction, JP4 through JP9
    File license
    Public domain
  • JP3.jpg
    Filename
    JP3.jpg
    File size
    529.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • JP2.jpg
    Filename
    JP2.jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok on a quick look over appears to be same or similar to this: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dash-c … -486sx-25-33-50
most of the jumpers are numbered same and in same places...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick question, according to the datasheet, there are two CPU speed options: OSC/1 or OSC/2. It appears that there's a 50Mhz crystal, so I can only run this at 25 or 50, is that correct? I'd need to get a 66Mhz crystal to run the CPU at its rated 33 Mhz.

edit: maybe I should just go ahead and source a 50Mhz CPU instead...

Reply 8 of 11, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Armitage64 wrote on 2023-03-18, 18:33:

Quick question, according to the datasheet, there are two CPU speed options: OSC/1 or OSC/2. It appears that there's a 50Mhz crystal, so I can only run this at 25 or 50, is that correct? I'd need to get a 66Mhz crystal to run the CPU at its rated 33 Mhz.

edit: maybe I should just go ahead and source a 50Mhz CPU instead...

Is the board working?
indeed a 50MHz crytal oscillator but a DX-33 CPU on the board is very suspicious.

Reply 9 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-03-18, 19:21:

Is the board working?
indeed a 50MHz crytal oscillator but a DX-33 CPU on the board is very suspicious.

Yes it works as it is currently configured. This configuration is probably not factory, it was someone else's project that I just picked up. I've got it apart right now to remove the corrosion and repair the solder mask around the battery. Once I've got it back together I'll run CheckIt or something to verify, but I assume the DX33 is just running at 25 right now.

Reply 10 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Armitage64 wrote on 2023-03-18, 19:46:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-03-18, 19:21:

Is the board working?

Yes it works as it is currently configured. This configuration is probably not factory, it was someone else's project that I just picked up. I've got it apart right now to remove the corrosion and repair the solder mask around the battery. Once I've got it back together I'll run CheckIt or something to verify, but I assume the DX33 is just running at 25 right now.

Agree it is most likely at 25Mhz. JP4 is OSC/1 or OSC/2 and set at OSC/2 so 50Mhz/2=25Mhz. The 74f74 next to JP4 is a dual flip-flop which is most likely being used to divide the Xtal to CPU when jumped OSC/2 and bypassed when jumped OSC/1...
If you change the Xtal to a 33Mhz then you would set JP4 to OSC/1 and change JP3 to ATclk/4 instead of /6 to keep an 8Mhz ISA bus..just MHO 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by Armitage64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Say I wanted to upgrade the machine to the full 50Mhz. Should I just source a DX/50 and reconfigure the board or would a DX2/50 be an okay solution leaving the clock divider in place? I have read that the DX/50 had some issues and this board isn't that advanced.

Speaking of which, any ideas if it would be possible to upgrade the BIOS on this thing so I could at least have HDD geometry auto-detection?