VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a similar thread already, but as it was inactive for a year and my request is slightly differently, the Forum suggested to create a new Thread instead.
The old thread is Replacing jumpers with dip switches
Also by

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-21, 00:59:

who suggested using Switches.

So what I'd like to do is to switch the jumpers "on the fly" without opening the case. Previously I was looking for a software solution, but the SS7 offering that seem to be super rare, and K6 2+ and 3+ CPUs are super expensive.

Essentially I'd like to do is to have an easy way to change multiplier and cpu clockspeed "externally". However I don't need fine control. Instead it would be enough if I had two configurations, and ieally just one switch (maybe even the power button).

Replacing 1 jumper with 1 switch which can be on or off (2 legs, or 3 legs but only 2 used) should be simple enough. But I don't want to have 4 Switches which I need to set correctly every time I switch speed.
So I was looking for better solutions.
My assumption is that a 4PDT (ON-ON) switch with 12 legs would be the best option, like:
https://www.amazon.de/heschen-Kippschalter-Po … /dp/B072JK8WYF/
As you probably can't double-use the center pin, you could basically manipulate 4 jumpers at the same time (there are 6PDT, but they are expensive and would need to be imported from overseas)
I don't know yet how many jumpers I would need to modify but this would set a limit of 4 I guess (Or I would need to go for 2 independent On/Off switches, which come with basically unlimited amount of circuits, but this would be less elegant)
Is my assumption correct, or do I miss something?

I checked my turbo button which is actually using 6 legs, and my assumption was that its a 3PDT. I measured the pins, but this doesnt make too much sense to me unless its broken. The one side works as intended (bottom-middle are connected if not pressed, upper-middle is connected if pressed, they activate the LED.
However the 3 pins of the other side do not have any connection either way when measured. However they do have cables which run to the Turbo Plug for the board. The side which goes into the board has 3 pins (white, blue, black), only white (middle) and blue (bottom) are connected to the turbo button (as mentioned, no measured connection). The black cable is lose, possibly intended by the previous owner (I bought the empty case used, but the sign said, there was a K6-2 in there). But even without the black cable I think this button should have a connection between the Blue and White cable-pins, shouldn't it?

turbo.png
Filename
turbo.png
File size
171.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The Blue, White and Green Lines work as intended (Blue and White are also connected to the segment turbo switch)
The Blue, White and Green Circles seem to do nothing (the Blue and White circle are connected to the 3-pin plug intended for the turbo-switch on the board)

Reply 1 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A switch like this could possibly be setup to have multiple configurations. Perhaps using diodes or transistors

I would have to ponder the schematic a bit and also have the board in front of me to better visualize the problem.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2023-03-18, 12:28:

Cool, yeah, that's the switch I had in mind, should be good for 4 jumpers?
Any thoughts about the mystery turbo button? Is it just broken?

Try cleaning it via dipping in alcohol and repeatedly clicking. In good condition they should produce on-on for both sides.
Whether the switch you have in mind will greatly improve the setting versatility (it is still only a three position switch: two positions for on plus one position for off) depends on the jumpers on your board. What motherboard are you planning to use ?

Reply 4 of 7, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys! I will test this switch Sphere posted when I get the board. Which board will I get? Not sure yet, but I will yet again make a new thread for that (hope its not considered spamming)

Regarding the turbo button: Well, if you also say that it should provide on-on on both sides, its broken. Luckily I got another case here which will probably go to the trash but which still had a nice functioning turbo button which just works as expected. So I just replaced the old with the..well...even older but working one 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did some more experimentation.
I did try to use the turbo button, and used that to connect 4 relais, which then connected the 4 jumpers.
In theory that works. In reality there is an issue, because the bus speed is only adjusted at full restart (not reset button), and when the power is off, the relais is also not powered, and the bus speed is the very first thing which is determined.
So before the relais sets the jumpers, the bus speed is already determined.

So now I wired up the 4PDT (ON-ON) switch. That works well. Leaves the Turbo button as dead dummy. So...will see what I will do there. Maybe add some gimmick and connect it with LEDs. As you know red LEDs make computers faster as well.

Reply 6 of 7, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did this with my 233mmx. The turbo button enables 50mhz and the DIPS controls the multi's and the 60mhz/66mhz switch. The board was already controlled by a DIP switch. I just left all switches in the off state and mounted the required DIP in the case badge area.

MK3iPTEh.jpg

Reply 7 of 7, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you mean with turbo for 50Mhz? doesnt that get in conflict with the Dips?
The front dip switches is also a cool solution. But you could try and find some badge and cut our the corner. With the right badge you can possible make it look like it was intended that way 😀