VOGONS

First post, by Senior System Engine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have a slotket with a Pentium III 1000MHz Tualatin mounted in it.
The motherboard it was mounted in (Dell XPS 500) recently died.
I purchased an ASUS P3B-F AGPset Motherboard and currently have a Pentium III 500MHz slot-1 processor in it.
The processor is a 500/512/100/2.0V S1
I'm pretty confident I should be able to plug my slotket with the 1000MHz Tualatin in but I don't know how to set the jumpers and dip switches.
I don't have the manual for the slotket...It just came pre-configured with the Dell computer when I purchased it.
Can someone please help with the dip switch and jumper settings to match my new ASUS motherboard?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Senior System Engine wrote on 2023-03-25, 20:21:
Hello, I have a slotket with a Pentium III 1000MHz Tualatin mounted in it. The motherboard it was mounted in (Dell XPS 500) rece […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I have a slotket with a Pentium III 1000MHz Tualatin mounted in it.
The motherboard it was mounted in (Dell XPS 500) recently died.
I purchased an ASUS P3B-F AGPset Motherboard and currently have a Pentium III 500MHz slot-1 processor in it.
The processor is a 500/512/100/2.0V S1
I'm pretty confident I should be able to plug my slotket with the 1000MHz Tualatin in but I don't know how to set the jumpers and dip switches.
I don't have the manual for the slotket...It just came pre-configured with the Dell computer when I purchased it.
Can someone please help with the dip switch and jumper settings to match my new ASUS motherboard?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

FWIW, you'll find the manual here Re: 370 to Slot1 adapter with jumper, how to set

Reply 2 of 12, by Senior System Engine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Hoarder...
I actually had found that earlier but I was concerned it said it only supported Celeron up to 533MHz (my Tualatin is 1000MHz).
Also, it says..."See table on back of slotket for the switch setting."; Unfortunately, I don't have that table.
Do you happen to have a pic of that table?
I can try with all AUTO settings but I would like to set it for 2.0V

Reply 3 of 12, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What voltage does the CPU say on it? I have a 1.13GHz Tualatin and it says 1.45V. If yours is similar, running at 2.0V sounds like a really bad idea. Also, I think the Auto setting won't be good here. If I remember, the VRM schema for Tualatins uses an extra pin and the output is completely incompatible with the old VRM requests.

Reply 4 of 12, by Senior System Engine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello smtkr,
I looked at the chip and it is a Celeron SL6C6 which should be 1400/256/100/1.5V
So you are correct...2.0V would be a bad idea...Sounds like my chip is pretty similar to yours.
Can you tell me what your jumper and dip switch settings are?
Also, if you have the Voltage table...Could you take a pic and attach?
Thanks,
Scott

Reply 5 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Senior System Engine wrote on 2023-03-25, 21:04:
Thanks Hoarder... I actually had found that earlier but I was concerned it said it only supported Celeron up to 533MHz (my Tuala […]
Show full quote

Thanks Hoarder...
I actually had found that earlier but I was concerned it said it only supported Celeron up to 533MHz (my Tualatin is 1000MHz).
Also, it says..."See table on back of slotket for the switch setting."; Unfortunately, I don't have that table.
Do you happen to have a pic of that table?
I can try with all AUTO settings but I would like to set it for 2.0V

Sorry, can't say I've ever seen a rev 1.0 with such a table, either on the slotket or the packaging it came in. By rev 2.0 there was one though (see This slocket adapter allows 3.5V to be sent to the processor)

Reply 6 of 12, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Senior System Engine wrote on 2023-03-25, 22:10:
Hello smtkr, I looked at the chip and it is a Celeron SL6C6 which should be 1400/256/100/1.5V So you are correct...2.0V would be […]
Show full quote

Hello smtkr,
I looked at the chip and it is a Celeron SL6C6 which should be 1400/256/100/1.5V
So you are correct...2.0V would be a bad idea...Sounds like my chip is pretty similar to yours.
Thanks,
Scott

I won't be able to help you with this. I have an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter for mine, which was designed to run the Tualatin CPUs.

If you are able to modify your slotket to support a Tualatin, I believe you have a really high end 440BX motherboard that supports overriding the voltage requested by the VID pins, but I'm not sure what voltage would be supplied to the CPU before you get into the BIOS to set a voltage override.

In short, my opinion is you have two hurdles to cross:
1. You need to have a socket that supports Tualatin signalling (or a modded CPU).
2. You need get the right voltage to the CPU.

Reply 7 of 12, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The wire soldered onto the back of the slotket looks like part of a Tualatin mod. (It probably had to be modded to be used on the Dell board as well.)

As for the voltage: VRM 8.5 (Tualatin onwards) retained partial backwards compatibility to previous VRMs. A VID pin for 25 mV signaling was added, but the meaning of the others remained the same. The voltage the board supplies to the CPU would be either correct or at most 0.025 V off as long as the slotket passes through the CPU's real voltage request. So the "auto" setting would be appropriate here.

Somehow I would expect the CPU to boot normally in the P3B-F when all slotket settings are just left the way they are, since it already worked that way on the Dell board.

Reply 10 of 12, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, in the past I have tried to modify both an adapter (similar or equal), and a Celeron 1000T., the Celeron to fit MB Coppermine, the adapter to make it Coppermine compatible.
The question I would ask is if that was already the case, or did you put the CPU, and if that CPU is modified (in the PINs) to use it in MB Coppermine.
I have a Celeron 1300 @ 1430 on an Asus P3B-F, but the adapter is factory made for Tualatin CPUs, so the CPU shouldn't be modified.
If, on the other hand, you want to use an adapter for Coppermine or Mendocino (yes, because they are not the same), you need to make changes, but not all adapters are the same, so a change that fits one to another may not work.
About the P3B-F, the original BIOS does not support Tualatin, and you have to update it with a modified version, which adds support, so if you have done all the hw changes, if I remember correctly it might not boot with the original BIOS.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 11 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Senior System Engine wrote on 2023-03-25, 22:10:
Hello smtkr, I looked at the chip and it is a Celeron SL6C6 which should be 1400/256/100/1.5V So you are correct...2.0V would be […]
Show full quote

Hello smtkr,
Thanks,
Scott

This image shows the settings that -theoretically work- with the jumpers and switch on your slotket.

JP370SP10.jpg
Filename
JP370SP10.jpg
File size
87.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 12, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC@LIVE wrote on 2023-03-26, 10:48:

About the P3B-F, the original BIOS does not support Tualatin, and you have to update it with a modified version, which adds support, so if you have done all the hw changes, if I remember correctly it might not boot with the original BIOS.

I'm running a Tualatin in my P3B-F with the stock BIOS. No issues.