Hi there, I got eventually a 286 PC with this Mobo
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … r-35-7020-00-00

Comparable to a "Super 286 ACT CHIP"

It got an ACT chipset ACT A27C001 and an
AMI BIOS
Boot strings
ht-ix 286 (1990) ami
dh1x-6069-113090-k8

I can boot a MS-DOS 6.20 boot diskette, and it lists the content of the Seagate 3,5" AT HDD ST 157a on C: (type 33, 43MiB) .

The HDD is partitioned with a primary 33MiB fat 16 partition, that has status A (activated, bootable flag A). The rest is partitioned as extended, but without a logical drive/partition.

It contains a MS-DOS 6.20 Installation on C: under DOS. In the root directory, there are t least io.sys, msdos.sys, dblspace. bin, command.com, wina20.386, mirorsav.fil, mirror.fil, config.sys

They are the same as on the boot floppy. (Until wina20.386)

Scandisk and diskfix are testing the ide HDD as sane. But Diskfix found something on the boot sector which I let repair it, but with no change to it's faulty behavior.

I already tried a> sys c:
a> sys a:\ c:
c:\dos> a:sys a:\ c:
c:\dos> c:sys c:\ c: 😁
and
fdisk /mbr
F-prot didn't find any virus.

Could it be, that the 1990 AMI BIOS isn't able to boot from c: directly, and this PC setup was meant to use a boot floppy? There was no autoexec.bat in the root directory of c:

I cannot define the boot order, or didn't find it to configure.

Reply 1 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iarsin wrote on 2023-03-27, 13:27:

Could it be, that the 1990 AMI BIOS isn't able to boot from c: directly, and this PC setup was meant to use a boot floppy?

I'd consider that to be highly doubtful that I'm gonna answer no to that. it should boot from hard drive.

my normal sequence for this would be
boot from floppy
remove all partitions, primary & extended & logical drives
exit to dosprompt
restart
boot from floppy
create primary partition
exit
restart
boot from floppy
format primary with system ie format c: /S
at dosprompt
restart without boot floppy.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After formatting i also run fdisk /mbr command, to be sure the mbr is ok. This may be the problem sometimes, wouldn't be my first.
Also, you may want to try with different dos versions if this won't do. Maybe there's something fuzzy going on when running this specific sys command.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 5, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll backup first the HDD, before trying that as a last resort.

I also tried 560/6/21 c/h/s values instead of type 33 (AMI). Then it comes with a message C: not ready or the like. So I have to use the translated values of Type 33.

AMI Setup claims, that it's not a AMI BIOS, but a NEC one. I'm not sure, because 1069 stands for NEC, but the bios string comes with 6069, which stands for octek.

Maybe due to incompatibilties it throws the message that the cmos crc doesn't match, and it is corrupted. Other tools are fine with that bios though.

I read, that a depleated flat CMOS battery might be the culprit of such ssues. The Varta Ni/Cd accumulator was leaky. Therefore I desoldered it from the mainboard. I'm astonished, that the capacitors seems to hold the current for at least one day, to keep the CMOS Values intact. But nevertheless it could be, that a lacking battery is the culprit here. I'll try to use a battery set instead. Do I have to use a diode, to keep the cmos save? Or what is that diode for, if one replaces the accumulator battery with an alkaline?

Reply 4 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iarsin wrote on 2023-03-29, 16:34:

The Varta Ni/Cd accumulator was leaky. Therefore I desoldered it from the mainboard. I'm astonished, that the capacitors seems to hold the current for at least one day, to keep the CMOS Values intact. But nevertheless it could be, that a lacking battery is the culprit here. I'll try to use a battery set instead. Do I have to use a diode, to keep the cmos save? Or what is that diode for, if one replaces the accumulator battery with an alkaline?

Varta NiCd batteries are rechargeable. The computer always recharges the battery when it's on, and the battery discharges maintaining the cmos setting & RTC.
The diode is required to stop the computer from charging a non rechargeable battery like a CR2032.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't get this, but with xfdisk it boots just fine from c:. I tried everything like fdisk /mbr, sys c: and so on, with the same MS-DOS version, I found in C:.

Maybe there is an explanation for this, but I'm wondering what it could be ...