VOGONS

Any use for S754-system with PCIe ?

Topic actions

First post, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In early 2006 I built myself a new system which was a S754 Sempron 2600+ with an Asus K8N4E and PCIe (my first PCIe-graphics card). At that time it was a powerful and yet inexpensive combination because S939 was already the popular platform and S754 was regarded as obsolete, but the Sempron overclocked very good.

The board is long gone but I still have the original CPU and whenever I see the board on ebay I have this itch to rebuild the system. But except for nostalgia I just don't see any use for it. For WinXP I'd use a way better system today and for Win98/Win2K PCIe is anything but optimal.

Of course I could build it and let it sit in a case in the attic, but why bother spending time and money on the board just to fill up an otherwise empty tower.

What do you think? Is there anything I'm missing that could make this system useful today?

Reply 1 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be ok for a Win98 system using a PCIe Geforce FX. I probably wouldn't bother with that though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 20, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aside from having a peculiar Turion unit, not much. 754 Turions are hard enough to find, and compatible boards are even harder. I already consider myself very lucky that my K8V-X SE officially lists Turion support, as long as you're running the latest BIOS.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 20, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were some interesting s754 PCIe boards ... for example Epox 8NPA SLI or DFI NF4X INFINITY. (I had them both). Epox had all Rubycon caps and nice colors. But I wouldn't count on Win98 compatibility. You need VIA chipset for that.

But with cool s754 cpu and VIA K8T800 chipset you can go all the way to DOS, if you like. Phil has few videos. Just don't use SATA (or use later board with updated SB chipset).

Reply 5 of 20, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know Phil's videos on the S754, but for DOS I have way better systems. My board was great at the time for XP, but unfortunately I don't see much use for this S754 system today. It's either too new (DOS, Win98) or too old (XP). So it seems to be only good for feeding the nostalgia-beast.

DOS is completely out of question because of the missing ISA-slots. For Win98 it's missing the drivers and PCIs is also a problem. For XP the CPU is too weak.
Maybe it would work as a Windows 2000 machine. There seem to be board drivers and I think support for PCIe graphics cards is also better than for 98. It's just that a dedicated Win2000 machine is pretty useless in itself 😁

Reply 6 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, wait a minute, please - what kind of CPU was on the market when WXP was released? Athlon XP and Pentium 4? So from that perspective, I don't see your Sempron64 2600+ as a completely weak CPU, let alone for W98SE/ME. For me is build, based on nForce3, Turion, Audigy and GF6800, dailyrider for W98SE games. Even some DOS games, launched from the W98 environment, are seamlessly playable if you accept the SB16 emulation on Audigy (or Live!) card.
Of course, it's not a "best of" for the W98, let alone the XP, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it - I do have an AGP port for a graphics card, but I could also find something for PCI-E from the ATI series X700/800 or GeForce 6xxx, which have a driver for the W98.
It can be built into a quiet, relatively efficient and powerful enough machine for almost all W98 games, even in high resolution and detail.
It has one minus: it is a bland, uninteresting and thus overlooked and unsought platform.

Reply 7 of 20, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, you can pop in a cheapo Radeon X600 in the PCIe slot and then have an overkill W98 rig that runs cool and quiet, and hardly required any money. I tested the PCIE Radeon in Win98, it gave me much better compatibility than the trainwreck Quadro fx1300 (PCIE Geforce FX).

You can even try a Geforce 6 or 7 card or a Radeon X800XL, and try for a combo Win 98/XP build, without searching for the overpriced AGP versions of those cards.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 9 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah there's not even any "family tree" to dig back into in late 90s for drivers, like SiS and Via for nForce. Though they did buy up Ali I heard, so miniscule chance some late Ali stuff might be slightly useful.

I have 3 754 boards and I don't really see much use for them. The use case of avoiding late P4 super hard is stymied a bit by it being hard to find s754 CPU that are over 2ghz clock speed by much. I mean if you get enthused and committed you can do it, but if you've got a ton of other stuff to play with you probably don't want to commit anything more than pocket change out of curiosity. Maybe I'll loop back around to them sometime. I was on socket A at the time, playing at 2.4Ghz with Tbreds and I looked at 754 then and thought something like "Eh? What's the point of that, looks like a dead end." so ignored it, s939 and 940 stayed spendy, I didn't really see a compelling reason to go 64bit either with XP64 being meh, and Vista wasn't gonna tempt me until it made it to a Service pack, screw being a beta tester on your own dime. So I waited until AM2, well a bit longer, sometime into AM2. As far as "seeing what I missed" goes, I'd spend money on a good Barton and time on my s939 X2, so it loses there too for the present. However, for the same speed, they do seem like they might be less cranky than high end socket A, especially now boards are old.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it was a dead end - dual channel memory was becoming standard at the time and so s.754 was a brief episode with no future (similar to s.423 at Intel). On the other hand, both boards and CPUs are cheap because of this, yet the system built on them is powerful enough for the needs of the W98 games, possibly the XP. The CPU goes over the 2 GHz frequency to get through relatively easily by overclocking the base frequency (at least the Palermo, Lancaster cores).
The problem is with drivers for the W98 - with nVidia are the latest official for the nForce3 series of chipsets, meaning AGP port. According to sources on the net, the W98 can also be installed on the nForce4 series, but it probably won't be the most certain.
I haven't had a chance to test the other chipsets (VIA, ULi), so I don't know.

Reply 11 of 20, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I bought it I knew that it was already the end of this platform but performance-wise it was great for the time. My Palermo-Sempron overclocked from 1.6 GHz to nearly 2.2 GHz even if the board did not allow changing the VCore (which I didn't know when I ordered it).

Reply 12 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ydee wrote on 2023-04-04, 10:04:

Yes, it was a dead end - dual channel memory was becoming standard at the time and so s.754 was a brief episode with no future (similar to s.423 at Intel). On the other hand, both boards and CPUs are cheap because of this, yet the system built on them is powerful enough for the needs of the W98 games, possibly the XP. The CPU goes over the 2 GHz frequency to get through relatively easily by overclocking the base frequency (at least the Palermo, Lancaster cores).
The problem is with drivers for the W98 - with nVidia are the latest official for the nForce3 series of chipsets, meaning AGP port. According to sources on the net, the W98 can also be installed on the nForce4 series, but it probably won't be the most certain.
I haven't had a chance to test the other chipsets (VIA, ULi), so I don't know.

The performance benefits from dual channel on these platforms were negligible at the time (I had a s754 A64 3200+ and a s939 A64 3500+, both 2.2GHz and similar systems overall). Using some benchmarking tools the difference was just a few percents and the difference while gaming was unnoticeable. Both were Venices iirc, very similar in performance and in TDP. Both ran on VIA chipsetted boards.

I ran WinXP on both.

Was actually by accident that I ended up with 2 similar machines. I had accidentally bought a motherboard with 1 socket and a CPU with the other socket, so instead of returning it I just got a matching motherboard and CPU and got 2 very similar systems at the same time 😜
They were both really cheap at the time, it was when C2Q Q6600 was what people wanted and with these 2 boards I could recycle the AGP cards and the DDR1 memory.

s754 with PCIe? I'd perhaps see it in a simewhat similar fashion as s3 with PCI instead of VLB. There are probably better options available right now but I do like these 2 platforms a lot 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2023-04-04, 11:30:
The performance benefits from dual channel on these platforms were negligible at the time (I had a s754 A64 3200+ and a s939 A64 […]
Show full quote

The performance benefits from dual channel on these platforms were negligible at the time (I had a s754 A64 3200+ and a s939 A64 3500+, both 2.2GHz and similar systems overall). Using some benchmarking tools the difference was just a few percents and the difference while gaming was unnoticeable. Both were Venices iirc, very similar in performance and in TDP. Both ran on VIA chipsetted boards.

I ran WinXP on both.

Was actually by accident that I ended up with 2 similar machines. I had accidentally bought a motherboard with 1 socket and a CPU with the other socket, so instead of returning it I just got a matching motherboard and CPU and got 2 very similar systems at the same time 😜
They were both really cheap at the time, it was when C2Q Q6600 was what people wanted and with these 2 boards I could recycle the AGP cards and the DDR1 memory.

s754 with PCIe? I'd perhaps see it in a simewhat similar fashion as s3 with PCI instead of VLB. There are probably better options available right now but I do like these 2 platforms a lot 😀

Yes, but "Dual channel!" on the box sold rather than test results and practical benefits.
I had both versions with.754 - Gigabyte K8NSNXP with AGP (NForce3 250) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-K8NSNXP-rev-1x#ov and later Epox EP-8NPA7I with PCI-E (nForce4-4x) https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/epox-pronix-ep-8npa7i. Both with Sempron64 2800+, oc´ed up to 2,4 GHz (on Epox) via 300MHz base frequency.

I was an AMD fanboy back then, and s.754 was kind of a 64-bit version of the Durons from s.462 (A) that I started with.

Reply 14 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not pair the So754 CPU with an nForce3 AGP chipset and use it as a very high-end Windows 98 system? Certainly that would be more versatile than a PCIe system, which would just be a rather slow modern-ish (pre-EFI) system.

In fact, this triggers me. I have an AM2 board with nForce3 chipset (Asrock, of course 😉 ) and a Phenom 2 X4. Win98 couldn't use the quadcore, but in terms of single-core performance, that Phenom 2 might well be the fastest Win98 option that actually runs with all system drivers installed (i.e. not PCIe with chipset drivers ignored). Pretty pointless, but if I ever get bored something to do...

Reply 15 of 20, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-04-04, 14:27:

Why not pair the So754 CPU with an nForce3 AGP chipset and use it as a very high-end Windows 98 system? Certainly that would be more versatile than a PCIe system, which would just be a rather slow modern-ish (pre-EFI) system.

My idea was to rebuild my actual system from back then with the exact same boardmodel, CPU, cooler and RAM. So I wanted to know if this combination has any practical use except for nostalgia 😀

Reply 16 of 20, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2023-04-04, 13:59:

I was an AMD fanboy back then, and s.754 was kind of a 64-bit version of the Durons from s.462 (A) that I started with.

In this time, best 440BX it Athlon ...BX on the motherboard on the VIA with native AGP
Performance, Energy Efficiency, Compatibility, Authenticity

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 17 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-04-04, 15:14:

My idea was to rebuild my actual system from back then with the exact same boardmodel, CPU, cooler and RAM. So I wanted to know if this combination has any practical use except for nostalgia 😀

As you say, for WXP you have way better build and for W98 there are no drivers for chipset (nForce4)- for PCI-E graphics there are drivers (ATI X-line up to 800/maybe 850?, nVidia GF line up to 6800, modded drivers even for 7xxx line).

Reply 18 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win2k is now my OS of choice for 9x era games. It's so much more stable then any installation of Win98/ME and does allow for slightly newer hardware all while still feeling old.
Game compatibility is also alot better then people remember, so it's not a terrible idea.
But is that going to satisfy the nostalgia beast? Ok so you have the original hardware but it's still not a true representation of the PC in your past.

The computers from my past are still my most used, even though I have better machines. The sentimental overrides the technical advantages with the better machines only been used to fill the gaps in performance.
So it may still be worth it in that sense as well?

Reply 19 of 20, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, actually that would be a representation of my past PC 😀 I switched pretty early from Win98 to Win2K because just as you say: it was so much more stable than Win98 and I had no compatibility problems. This S754 was even my first XP-system. I used Win2K up to this point (on a Tualatin-system)
My statement above about Win2K was a bit mistakable: for me it's not so attractive to have this as a dedicated machine only for one single system. And I'm unsure how compatibility is affected by the PCIe-graphics which requires newer drivers.
However, should I stumble over the board for little money I'll problably get it just to try it out.