VOGONS

First post, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For context: I live in Armenia, which is a small ex-Soviet country located in Caucasus. Shipping stuff from the US and Europe is possible, but it does take time. There's a local Craigslist alternative, called List.am, except it doesn't look shady and usually works better.

So, as I wrote in my previous topic, I found an old Compaq DeskPro 2000 (model number 6233MMX) in a friend's garage and decided to restore it to life.

Pentium II MMX @ 233MHz
64Mb SDRAM
Matrox MGA graphics
Adaptec PCI SCSI adapter (OEM)

This is all the information I can provide at the moment, because I was unable to boot it at this time. None of my computers has a FDD, and I haven't managed to get hold of floppy disks - went to my parents' place for my old disks and my mom has apparently thrown them away - but that will be fixed soon.

At this point, I have the following problems that need to be fixed:
1. The original Seagate 2Gb SCSI disk causes the SCSI adapter to throw the "Time out failure during SCSI inquiry command" error, which goes away when the disk is removed, so the disk might be dead or need fixing - although its motor sounds like a bunch of very angry cicadas, and I'm not sure I can live with a noise like that. I would much prefer a SCSI2SD or SCSI2CF adapter, even though I have reservations about the reliability of SD and CF cards, but the ability to transfer files directly would be a godsend.
2. The usual Softpaq umbrella&tambourine dance to upgrade the BIOS and set up the BIOS Setup & Diagnostics - the Compaq & HP support sites are down, and while Archive.org has an archive of SPs, all I found out was that SP12880 MAY be compatible with Deskpro 2000 6233MMX, but I'll need to try it to confirm it.
3. I don't know whether the slot-driven CD-ROM works or not, but I just swapped it for a period-incorrect Sony 52x32x52 IDE CD-RW for quality of life purposes. I've seen really bad failure rates from the Compaq OEM slot-driven CD drives and I need a working option before I test it.

Will post gut shots tomorrow. If you have questions/suggestions, well, I'm all ears.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 1 of 56, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, aside from scsi2sd you have rascsi, bluescsi, zuluscsi, and you can reflash the firmware on a acard aec-7722 to a 7726 and hook up a harddrive to it or a sata to ide converter to the aec.

Just some more options for you to consider as harddrive replacement.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 56, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice of you deciding to restore the machine, I had a similar one back in the day. It was a Compaq Deskpro, but can't tell which exact model. Mine had Pentium MMX 166, 64Mb Ram and Integrated S3 Graphics. I've got very good memories of it and also bad ones, the PC was stable and could handle any program I used with ease, but gaming performance was terrible. Honestly I wish I still had it, or at least knew what exact model and specs were, it was given away by my parents when it became obsolete in the mid 2000.
Only thing that was left of it is this WD 1GB IDE HDD, which it was taken out for an upgrade. So, good luck trying to get it working again, I'm looking forward to it.

If I can say my opinion, ditch the SCSI HDD and put an IDE HDD or something, it won't be as fast but surely will be quieter and more easy to configure. Cheers!

Reply 3 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-04-10, 20:28:

FYI, aside from scsi2sd you have rascsi, bluescsi, zuluscsi, and you can reflash the firmware on a acard aec-7722 to a 7726 and hook up a harddrive to it or a sata to ide converter to the aec.

Just some more options for you to consider as harddrive replacement.

In the end, I decided to go with a CF to 40-pin IDE converter, because not having DMA/UDMA might hurt in the long run. As for the SATA2IDE converter, the main problem is, the BIOS won't even see drives larger than 4Gb, and finding a 4Gb SATA drive might be even harder than a 4Gb IDE drive. I even thought of an industrial disk on module, but those are known to conflict with primary/secondary configurations.

Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2

Reply 4 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2023-04-10, 21:29:

Very nice of you deciding to restore the machine, I had a similar one back in the day. It was a Compaq Deskpro, but can't tell which exact model. Mine had Pentium MMX 166, 64Mb Ram and Integrated S3 Graphics. I've got very good memories of it and also bad ones, the PC was stable and could handle any program I used with ease, but gaming performance was terrible. Honestly I wish I still had it, or at least knew what exact model and specs were, it was given away by my parents when it became obsolete in the mid 2000.
Only thing that was left of it is this WD 1GB IDE HDD, which it was taken out for an upgrade. So, good luck trying to get it working again, I'm looking forward to it.

If I can say my opinion, ditch the SCSI HDD and put an IDE HDD or something, it won't be as fast but surely will be quieter and more easy to configure. Cheers!

Thanks, friend - that's exactly what I will do, if I can find a compatible IDE HDD (<4Gb), or go for an IDE CF adapter.

Reply 5 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here are the gut shots I promised. The internals were caked in dust, but nothing an old toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol couldn't fix. Thankfully, all the electrolytic capacitors look healthy.

P76isb1.jpeg

There's the Adaptec OEM SCSI adapter and a PCI modem installed on the backplane. I'm keeping both because I don't have anything to plug the holes on the case with at the moment.

Here's a closeup of the SCSI card:

0xyM6dQ.jpeg

VID UPGRADE CONN connectors on the motherboard. I think they take video memory upgrade daughterboards, but I haven't had luck in tracking one down. I mean, one with one M, one F connector, staggered.

7ECrxMT.jpeg

The dumbest setup for a coin cell CMOS battery: microwelding it to connectors. Guess I'll have to take it out and solder a normal socket. Compaq, why?

wFOegQe.jpeg

Here's a link to the whole gallery

https://imgur.com/gallery/pkVbref

Reply 7 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-04-11, 11:51:

BR2335 is rechargeable lithium battery, give it some time, maybe it will hold some charge.

I'm not optimistic about that, because the computer hasn't been powered on since, I think, at least 1999.

But while consulting the manual, I found out there's an external battery header, so I might not need to modify the board after all. Here's the link:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/30266/Compa … 0.html?page=121

The manual says the onboard battery gets disconnected when an external battery is connected to the board, and that makes me feel a lot better going forward, because I'm quite conservative about making non-reversible changes to old gear.

This looks compatible enough to me:
https://www.amazon.com/Rome-Tech-Battery-AM1H … 283&sr=8-3&th=1
(not an affiliate link)

But thanks for the advice.

I think I'll also replace the PSU fan with a Noctua and install one on front, add a dust filter as well as replace the old thermal paste of the CPU with a 0.5mm indium foil thermal pad for a permanent thermal solution.

Reply 8 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-04-11, 11:51:

BR2335 is rechargeable lithium battery, give it some time, maybe it will hold some charge.

I mean I've powered it on multiple times and even left it running for like 30 minutes (it POSTs fine, but doesn't boot without an HDD and I don't have the floppy disks yet). Each time I get the CMOS and clock errors, have to press F1 to save the settings, restart, and sometimes it holds the settings until I shut it down, and sometimes it just tells me the CMOS checksum is wrong and auto-adjusts itself.

Reply 9 of 56, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have almost the same Compaq DeskPro 2000 and mine battery still holds charge.
Try to search the external battery by Copmaq PN, I think it is 4.5V and you can use 3x1.5V AA/AAA batteries.

batt.jpg
Filename
batt.jpg
File size
71.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 10 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-04-11, 13:57:

Try to search the external battery by Copmaq PN, I think it is 4.5V and you can use 3x1.5V AA/AAA batteries.

I decided to follow your advice and leave the PC on for some more.

Lo and behold, you were right, friend! I restarted, and the CMOS error was gone! The date and time error is still there, but that's to be expected - I'd need to install a HDD and set up the diagnostic partition.

Thanks a lot! The battery is now fully operational.

Reply 11 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-04-11, 13:57:

batt.jpg

Well, I guess I jumped to conclusions too early. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't, but it's still something. I'll keep it running overnight, see how it goes.

Reply 12 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone needs to restore a Deskpro 2000 with a dead hard drive, the latest BIOS/System setup Softpaq is this one:

SP16085.EXE "Compaq Personal Computer Diagnostics", 10.40 Rev A, English (US), December 07, 2000

I'm doing a full cataloging of Compaq SoftPaqs here:
A definitive guide to Compaq/HP SoftPaqs

It's an ongoing project, but you can give me a shout if you need something for a specific model.

Reply 13 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The video chip is a Matrox MGA Mystique 220, with 2Mb SGRAM. There's an add-on board with 2Mb more. The part number is 007213-001, it is available on EBay, but quite expensive, tbh. Do not confuse with the other board available for Pentium I machines - the right board has staggered M/F connectors, not two M connectors.

The SoftPaq with the driver is either SP9568 or SP9569. Will confirm when I get the CF2IDE adapter and can actually boot the damn thing.

Reply 14 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I discovered something quite curious.

My situation with the Compaq was: the CMOS battery was dead and the HDD wasn't registering with the SCSI controller.

So most of you should know that the setup and diagnostic utilities on many Compaq computers, including my Deskpro 2000, reside on a partition of the hard drive.

The SCSI controller requires correct PCI settings to function properly.

The CMOS battery dying has erased all of my BIOS settings. So the SCSI controller has stopped working properly. Which is the likely cause for the HDD not registering properly. Which prevents me from entering the BIOS setup and diagnostic utilities.

Seems like a terrible design decision by COMPAQ not to include at least a very basic setup utility on the BIOS ROM chip itself. But the SCSI HDD might be alive after all, although the plastic stoppers in old HDDs tend to turn to goo with age.

But, overall, this means the CMOS battery dying might force you to factory reset your computer with the recovery disks. Not exactly very user-friendly, is it.

Reply 15 of 56, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system, nice quest for recovery!

Here the photo of video-ram upgrade module from Compaq.
I have one 😀

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 16 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-04-29, 20:30:

I have one 😀

Nice!

I found a couple online, but they were around $60, which raises the question, is additional 2Mb worth it, or not.

I'm planning to add a Voodoo 2 at some point because I really want to use the Matrox and I like the passthrough cable with a 3D-only card.

Reply 17 of 56, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
songoffall wrote on 2023-04-30, 08:23:
Nice! […]
Show full quote

I have one 😀

Nice!

I found a couple online, but they were around $60, which raises the question, is additional 2Mb worth it, or not.

I'm planning to add a Voodoo 2 at some point because I really want to use the Matrox and I like the passthrough cable with a 3D-only card.

A year ago im recover Fujitsu D990 motherboard with integrated Matrox Mystique and add additional video-ram module. Onboard 2mb is not enough for my 17-inch monitor (and i like old matrox-supported games). One note if you install latest matrox drivers and get light glitches on you desktop - just turn OFF “device bitmap cache” in drivers properties. Microsoft drivers works OK.
I think we can find cheaper module 😉

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 18 of 56, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-04-30, 09:52:
songoffall wrote on 2023-04-30, 08:23:
Nice! […]
Show full quote

I have one 😀

Nice!

A year ago im recover Fujitsu D990 motherboard with integrated Matrox Mystique and add additional video-ram module. Onboard 2mb is not enough for my 17-inch monitor (and i like old matrox-supported games). One note if you install latest matrox drivers and get light glitches on you desktop - just turn OFF “device bitmap cache” in drivers properties. Microsoft drivers works OK.
I think we can find cheaper module 😉

That would be quite awesome, because I can't imagine 2 megs doing more than 256 colors on a 17-inch 😀)

Reply 19 of 56, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh Compaq's whole BIOS on the HDD is what makes them kinda special, I don't like it much either but it is what it is and as long as you know about it then typically it doesn't cause toooooo many problems

2Mb is fine for dos and Windows GUI More may be nice for some windows games at higher resolutions but suspect the CPU may struggle at this point as well.

monitors-152.png