VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys!

So I've noticed this weird quirk with regards to my DVD optical drive in Windows XP with a motherboard I'm using for a retro Windows XP gaming system. To start, this issue has happened with more than one DVD optical drive, both IDE and SATA.

System:
Motherboard: Foxconn winfast nf4uk8aa Nforce 4 Ultra
BIOS: 6.00 PG Pheonix Tech
CPU: Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ OC'd from 2.2 Ghz to 2.5 Ghz with a 10x multiplier, 250mhz FSB, x4 HT link multiplier. (Stable)
RAM: 2GB (x2 1GB) PC-3200. Timings: CL: 3.0-tRCD 3-tRP 3-tRAS 8-tRC 11-CR 1T Frequency: 166mhz (Actually running at 208.3Mhz due to FSB OC) (Stable)
GPU: PCI-e Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ (EVGA Brand) Restored by myself with new thermal paste and greased fan.
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 430W 80+ White Continuous Power ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0430NPCWUS-W
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA)
Optical Drive: ATAPI iHAS124 B (LiteOn brand) DVD RW drive
OS: Windows XP Service Pack 3 with unofficial service pack 4 installed v3.1b.

My issue:
- When I turn on my PC and try to boot from a CD, or windows install disk, the DVD drive works fine 100%, no issues.
- When I boot into windows and open Windows explorer or My computer, the optical drive shows as "DVD RAM" and does not prompt me to insert a disc when I try open it (like most optical drives), it actually opens into an empty directory.
- When I place a disc into the drive, nothing happens. When I try to open the drive, Windows explorer freezes and I am forced to close it and then reboot my system.
- If I try to boot into windows with a disc in the drive, the screen goes black after the Windows XP logo.

So my first guess is that windows XP is not properly detecting the drive and therefore installing the wrong driver. However there is no way for me to change it.
- I tried replacing udfs.sys with the most up to date version, but it makes no difference.

- I tried this Registry fix:
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand SYSTEM
Under system there is ControlSet001, ControlSet002 and CurrentControlSet
One at a time expand each set, expand Control, then expand Class
For each set once u expand class find E325-11CE-BFC1-10318 (there will b many but click the first one)
Delete "upperfilter and/or lowerfilter"
.)
However my registery contained no such entries (upperfilter etc;)

So I am at a loss. I guessing maybe installing unofficial SP 4 maybe caused this issue? I'm not sure, and I don't really feel like re-doing this XP install after getting everything the way I like. Any advice is welcome. If it comes down to me having to re-install the OS I guess I will just have to do it. For now I'm just using DM tools and images.

Thanks

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a wh12ls30 sata on my XP SP3 box and it shows DVD-RAM in explorer too but works just fine.
Check your Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives. It should show properly. Check the Driver Details, mine shows: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys redbook.sys and storprop.dll
All are version 5.1.2600.5512. Next check the Details tab and drop down to Device Upper Filters, mine shows redbook. check Device Lower Filters, mine shows imapi.
The Class upper/lower filters will be blank UNLESS you installed things like AnyDVD, Clone CD, etc they will show under Class Lower filters. If anything is in Class Upper it will cause issues...
That is all I know. Once a while back my drive acted up so deleted/removed from Device Manager and it auto re-installed on next boot and has worked fine ever since.
One thing: I almost never leave a disk in it when shutting down as XP will try to scan it on startup which also can cause issues specially if it has an installer (like a game cd), just my experience.
added: my board also uses nForce 400 series chipset but for Intel, not AMD......

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well did you check Device Manager ? That reg fix is mostly for when no Drive Letter is assigned (not visible in Explorer afaik)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might be something to do with the NForce chipset drivers, particularly those for the onboard SATA & IDE controllers.

Try getting the latest chipset drivers from the Nvidia site or uninstalling them if you are already running the latest ones. You might have to play around with different driver versions etc and see if it makes any difference.

Reply 4 of 6, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-17, 01:40:

Well did you check Device Manager ? That reg fix is mostly for when no Drive Letter is assigned (not visible in Explorer afaik)

Yes I already did all the things you suggested prior to posting this. Thank you though.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sly_Botts wrote on 2023-04-18, 23:01:

Yes I already did all the things you suggested prior to posting this. Thank you though.

OK, do you/did you have something similar in your Device Manager as I do ? Without those redbook and imapi filters it will have issues....

Reply 6 of 6, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-19, 00:15:
Sly_Botts wrote on 2023-04-18, 23:01:

OK, do you/did you have something similar in your Device Manager as I do ? Without those redbook and imapi filters it will have issues....

Yes.

I think I'm just going to back up my files, and re-install Windows XP. This time though, I'm going to use my SP1 version, update it to SP2 and leave it at that. No SP3 or unofficial SP4. Since I'm only using it for gaming, I probably don't need SP3 or unofficial SP4.