VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,

Did you ever consider building a little retro/vintage PC, but without inatalling a floppy drive?

You may want to reconsider that.
Some operating system expect an A: drive to be present, otherwise they hang at boot.
So far, I merely knew of PC-MOS and a few niche OSes that behave like that.

But just recently, I saw the same reaction from OS/2 v1.3.
At first, I thought it was related to a wrong drive geometry, since I did the installation on a differenct machine.
But after installing a floppy drive and setting up an entry in CMOS Setup, it booted just fine.

Of course, you can try to simply leave an entry in CMOS Setup without installing a physical drive..
But how silly is that, considering how plenty floppy drives are available still?
Alternatively, a Gotek or similar floppy emulator could be installed, also.

Both are handy to have in case an A: drive is required sometimes (OS/2 1.x DDINSTAL uses A: exclusively to install new drivers,
some game/application installers check A:, Windows defaults to checking A: etc).

May the floppy be with you! 🙂

Best wishes,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never considered building a retro rig without a floppy drive. I have plenty of them and usually the cases will otherwise have a hole in one of the external 3.5in slots if I remove it (as I got almost all pc cases second hand somehow and only more modern systems came without a floppy drive installed), so I might as well install one.
Also I would miss the drive seek sound when booting 😜

The only pre P4 era PC I didn't have a floppy drive actually connected was a P3 Coppermine s370 build, because the floppy drive controller on that board was dead. Might still have put a 3.5in FDD in there to fill in the spot though but I don't remember.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 19, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always have at least one floppy drive installed on older computers. Mainly for nostalgia and "authentic" look, but also for compatibility reasons. 😀

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 19, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And some just refuse to believe the floppy drive isn't present.

For example, in the BIOS there are no drives at all (this system is booted and runs entirely from the network):

img-90.png
Filename
img-90.png
File size
105.22 KiB
Views
File comment
BIOS: No drives
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Meanwhile Windows 95 insists there is a floppy drive:

img-91.png
Filename
img-91.png
File size
100.4 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 95: A drive
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 19, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I can't withstand a DOS machine without floppy drives. Specifically 2! One at least being a 5.25" ... yeah I know that's too strict.. but to me the sound of two drive seeks followed by a single short beep is what registers in my brain as a DOS machine booting. This was how I always knew PCs (since our first XT), so it's burned in now 😅

Gotek solves the functional problem, but can't fill in the experience 🙂

Reply 7 of 19, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once bootable CDs came out, I only kept a single usb floppy drive around for compatibility with any older system I might have to work on. It seemed like I was doing the right thing because floppy disks were an unreliable legacy resource that was best left as a memory and wasn’t something you wanted to rely on because the disks would fail, the drives would fail, fail fail fail. Of course I also lived with smokers and cats at the time.

Once I broke out the old boxes in 2019, I realized that I needed a floppy drive again and none of my old usb floppy drives were reliable enought to make disks readable by the old traditional floppy drives from storage. Took a while to build a “bridge” PII system that was new enough to read usb storage and robust enough to write disks that were generally readable on isa controllers.

There was some nostalgia to hear the drives whir buzz and click, but it was lost in the swamp of frustration as I seperated out bad disks from bad drives from bad controllers. Assuming, of course, that the problem isn’t because you enabled the L1 cache on your cyrix chip or something esoteric like that.

So floppy drives are more of a necessary evil than a beloved past time or a robust method of archiving software for me. I still get a little thrill when an old system creaks out its first drive seek in 25 years, but it’s tempered with the gloomy feeling that the drive is likely a little bit out of alignment, the heads are probably dirty, and the crystal may need a defibrillator. They are the least reliable part of a legacy build. (well at least if you are using a new powersupply)

So the legacy system probably has a floppy disk attached at my house, but the hard drive was probably formatted and loaded on another system with an imaging tool and not from a stack of floppy disks. This probably all goes back to the days when my job required me to take a stack of floppies around to each PC in the computerlab to upgrade them to WP51. I had a network install worked out before the end of the month.

Reply 8 of 19, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-21, 17:23:

Hello everyone,

Did you ever consider building a little retro/vintage PC, but without inatalling a floppy drive?

You may want to reconsider that.

i have two 'motherboard in a box' 32bit PCs without floppy drives

as Davidrg said the bios insists on it existing and then during boot give errors but allow continue

the computers themselves works fine, the OS never seeming to miss the floppy (or even acknowledge that its missing). I guess they do deserve a proper case with FDD though!

what it reminded me of is how little i ever use floppy disks now, just for booting up really. it reflects that nearly all the hardware i have now is at least usb 1 ready, just a couple of pentium era machines without usb

i have probably 80 or so floppy disks, i'm guessing 50-60 will still work - thats a lot of boot disks, hopefully enough - but then there is always gotek if needed

Reply 10 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turn this on its head: the OSs that absolutely require a floppy drive are corner cases. Back in the day you needed the drive for file transfer, but with NICs and FTP, not to mention CF cards, that is not necessary any more.

Let's forget about the drive itself for a moment and look at the controller. It hogs an IRQ line and DMA channel. Both are at a premium in DOS systems. If it's possible to move anything else into IRQ 6, DMA 2, that frees up space for other devices.

Now, big "if", but I'm tempted to take a look if something would accept them...

Reply 11 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to have a floppy drive in anything under where the BIOS allows a bootable CD. So that is XT, 286, 386, 486, Pentium, etc.
For those who use a Gotek you are still technically using a floppy drive, though an emulator one, it serves exact same purpose 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 19, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-05-05, 00:54:

I have to have a floppy drive in anything under where the BIOS allows a bootable CD. So that is XT, 286, 386, 486, Pentium, etc.

the moment a BIOS can boot from USB it's all over for floppy and optical drives

well not quite, but it does mean that we don't need the FDD and optical drive

if using IDE to SD or CF in older PCs we also don't need 3.5' HDDs

we can end up with hardware arrangements quite different from how things would have been, with emulations to fill gaps, or gaps just ignored

Reply 14 of 19, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For practical reasons, I don't need FDD for a long time, but for nostalgia and for the chance to read old files on floppy disks from a long time ago, I had it last with the Phenom II setup. For the same reasons, I have a CD/DVD drive on my PC even today.

Reply 15 of 19, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have floppy drives in a bunch of my retro systems, purely for case cosmetic reasons so as not to leave a hole. 🤣

I pretty much never use actual floppy disks on any of my PCs though, as I have an abundance of ethernet cards for easier file transfer. Last time I set up DOS on 1 of my builds, I just temporarily connected a Gotek until the OS was installed.

The only system in my collection where the floppy drive is still useful is my Amiga 1200, where I have a boot disk that I can use to boot an alternative CD32 emulator than the 1 installed on the internal CF card. It's more practical in that case to use an actual floppy disk, rather than a Gotek for 1 disk image.

Reply 16 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've mostly moved over to Gotek. cheap, fast and reliable. Only my childhood PC did I miss the seek sound on boot so switched back to a real FDD.
Also where cases have a FDD "Labia" it seems wrong not to put a drive behind it.

But if a motherboard has a FDD header I'll add a Gotek, just as I'll include an optical drive even though mostly I'll use a virtual drive or transfer over the network, sometimes it's just more convenient.
My 9x and below PC's rarely use the drive, it's actually the newer NT based OS's that need AHCI or RAID drivers during install where I mostly use mine. Its more convenient to copy the required drivers onto my "Gotek USB" then burning another CD with the required drivers.

Reply 17 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ydee wrote on 2023-05-05, 09:36:

For practical reasons, I don't need FDD for a long time, but for nostalgia and for the chance to read old files on floppy disks from a long time ago, I had it last with the Phenom II setup. For the same reasons, I have a CD/DVD drive on my PC even today.

Which board did you use for your Phenom II setup?
My next build is gonna get an optical drive, if only because my current (temporary) system doesn't have one and I still like to go watch a DVD movie from time to time.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 19, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-05, 09:48:
I've mostly moved over to Gotek. cheap, fast and reliable. Only my childhood PC did I miss the seek sound on boot so switched ba […]
Show full quote

I've mostly moved over to Gotek. cheap, fast and reliable. Only my childhood PC did I miss the seek sound on boot so switched back to a real FDD.
Also where cases have a FDD "Labia" it seems wrong not to put a drive behind it.

But if a motherboard has a FDD header I'll add a Gotek, just as I'll include an optical drive even though mostly I'll use a virtual drive or transfer over the network, sometimes it's just more convenient.
My 9x and below PC's rarely use the drive, it's actually the newer NT based OS's that need AHCI or RAID drivers during install where I mostly use mine. Its more convenient to copy the required drivers onto my "Gotek USB" then burning another CD with the required drivers.

I personally wouldn't spend money on a Gotek for a PC. I use the disk drive only for installation and I don't mind using a real drive for this one time. And I have a box full of them 😀
Unlike with the Amiga where using disks is part of the daily business.

Reply 19 of 19, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2023-05-05, 12:29:

Which board did you use for your Phenom II setup?
My next build is gonna get an optical drive, if only because my current (temporary) system doesn't have one and I still like to go watch a DVD movie from time to time.

This one: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a770de+/index.asp
It was the last board that had a FDD connector (my next build was on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, which was already FDD connector missing).