VOGONS

First post, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 98 build with an sdcard adapter for drive C. I messed up the audio drivers and wanted to roll back to a disk image I took with Disk Utility on OS X.

I had trouble getting OS X to do a bit-for-bit restore, so I repartitioned the drive in fdisk and let the Windows 98SE setup disk format it and reinstall the basics. I then used rsync with the --delete option to sync the new drive with the old image. However, when I boot the PC with the restored drive it seems like drivers are not installed, at least the graphics and audio drivers were unconfigured, and daemon tools did not appear in the taskbar. It seems like maybe the registry was reset.

I can try reinstalling the drivers, but how can I restore the PC to its exact previous state? I don't understand how there could be any difference if the files are identical. Note that I did install a different graphics card since I took the backup. Does this somehow make Windows reset its configuration? The only other change I can think of is that the C: drive volume label and size of the partition are not the same.

Last edited by copper on 2023-05-19, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something is not done right/as expected, a simple file copy (maintaining file attributes) is enough for win98. You can "clone" an installation by copying all files to another drive and SYS.COM-ing it.

Reply 3 of 5, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, that was the problem. SYSTEM.DAT, USER.DAT, and HWINFO.DAT had not been copied because of permissions issues.

I also set the volume ID and volume label back to what they were with fatlabel, but I don't think that made a difference.

Reply 5 of 5, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, if I want clone system disk with W98SE, work good XCOPY from Windows - type in the command line xcopy C:\ X:\/h/i/c/k/e/r/y/s where X is the letter of the target disk (D, E, F etc).
An exact copy of the 1:1 source disk is then created on this disk. Tested on IDE as well as SATA and SSD drives.