VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm just about to give up. is there any off-the-shelf cf solution that is udma 66/100 compatible? i first purchased this adapter:

$_1.jpeg
Filename
$_1.jpeg
File size
28.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

how nice that they provided a totally useless 3.3v voltage regulator jumper instead of udma 66/100 support...i mean, who could possibly want that? so i figured why not add a bulky 80pin ide cable to willfully clutter up my cable management so i purchased this next adapter:

c30d4c97-40dd-44cc-87d9-d55655732876.29e00a25d227c7efabf63ec8716125c6.jpeg
Filename
c30d4c97-40dd-44cc-87d9-d55655732876.29e00a25d227c7efabf63ec8716125c6.jpeg
File size
60.69 KiB
Views
File license

again, my motherboard only detects a 40pin ide cable and limits speeds to udma 33. is udma 66/100 ever going to work or is it hopeless without modding the adapter?

the motherboard is an iwill kk266 plus and it only complains about a 40pin ide cable when the cf adapter is attached. the 80pin ide cable i'm using only has 2 connectors if that matters, but they are properly color coded blue and black for the motherboard and master device.

can i buy something else? if soldering is the only solution i'd rather go back to a mechanical hdd. frankly, whether thru an ide, pcmcia or usb adapter my whole foray into compact flash has been severely underwhelming.

Reply 1 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some CF adapters don't ground pin 34 (PDIAG) - making it fail UDMA66 detect.
Connect pin 34 to pin 30 (or other ground pin) + cut trace that goes from 34 pin to compactflash card.

Credit : 0xCats

Reply 2 of 18, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, from Addonics (Model ADIDECF). If you can find one, they're often expensive. There's a few on eBay for $50 + shipping.

There are probably other vendors out there, but I have one of these:
https://www.addonics.com/product/intro/20

Alternatively, a SATA to IDE Adapter is another route to pursue, which could also be more cost effective and better performing.

Reply 4 of 18, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The second one, the HX-2118P with Transcend 4GB/8GB/32GB cards makes it into UDMA 5 as reported by the bios on a 430TX Socket-7 system.

UDMA5 430TX Transcend CF 32GB.jpg
Filename
File size
697.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 18, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-19, 18:56:

Some CF adapters don't ground pin 34 (PDIAG) - making it fail UDMA66 detect.
Connect pin 34 to pin 30 (or other ground pin) + cut trace that goes from 34 pin to compactflash card.

Credit : 0xCats

Do not do this for an adapter designed to connect to a cable like the second picture in OP's post. The PDIAG line is not meant to be connected to the host at all for 80-pin cables (but grounding is enough to satisfy most), but it is still required for communication between the master and slave devices.

Reply 6 of 18, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-05-20, 05:23:

The second one, the HX-2118P with Transcend 4GB/8GB/32GB cards makes it into UDMA 5 as reported by the bios on a 430TX Socket-7 system.

thanks for the verification. i tried another 2 connector (single device) cable, that's never given me problems before, and got the same result, but when i swapped in a gnarled 24in 3 connector cable--bam, it detected the 80 wire conductors. (the cable only has to go 3in AT MOST for the adapter and now i got 24in of intestines.)

i'm a little perplexed on why this is happening. what is going on inside the connectors? i previously assumed blue, grey and black were all internally identical and the location of a cut wire determined the cable select positions. (so maybe without the cut wire only the blue/gray connector is different from the other 2...after all you can plug an 80 wire cable in backwards and only the cable select is affected.) i've tried to find internal diagrams online, but there are so many junk search results to wade thru

Reply 7 of 18, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vstrakh wrote on 2023-05-20, 05:23:

Would be impressive considering TX only supports DMA Mode 3 😀 That text is meaningless, its Drive capabilities reported by "identify drive" command.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 18, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-05-20, 19:16:

i'm a little perplexed on why this is happening. what is going on inside the connectors? i previously assumed blue, grey and black were all internally identical and the location of a cut wire determined the cable select positions. (so maybe without the cut wire only the blue/gray connector is different from the other 2...after all you can plug an 80 wire cable in backwards and only the cable select is affected.) i've tried to find internal diagrams online, but there are so many junk search results to wade thru

That's true for the traditional 40 pin type (with all black connectors), where barring any missing pins/wires for cable select it's a very plain 40 pin cable you can use just fine for your Raspberry's expansion port, but indeed the high speed 80 pin connectors are different not just in color!

Looking for this? 😀

https://courstechinfo.be/Hard/Images/Cable_at … _66-100-idc.gif

Reply 9 of 18, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

how authoritative is that diagram? if i read it correctly there's no difference between the blue and black connectors--at least in the cables that employ the cut wire method.

ru0xvbpvc3781.jpg
Filename
ru0xvbpvc3781.jpg
File size
89.85 KiB
Views
File license

the essential difference is in the gray connector as every wire is connected in the black connector.

so my question is why would a single device cable with the blue and black connectors fail the 80 wire conductor test? the gray connector is practically transparent if nothing is plugged into it. how would the motherboard know if it's there or not?

Reply 10 of 18, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2023-05-21, 01:21:

how authoritative is that diagram? if i read it correctly there's no difference between the blue and black connectors--at least in the cables that employ the cut wire method.

In addition to the PDIAG signal being cut, it's also probably connected to ground inside the blue connector (which is a good reason to not use the blue connector for drives - they may try to drive PDIAG high).

Reply 11 of 18, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-05-20, 21:49:

Would be impressive considering TX only supports DMA Mode 3 😀

Didn't know 😀 I've jumped over socket 7 back in the day, going from 486 into P2, missed lots of fine details...

Reply 12 of 18, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i don't know what the deal is with my single device 80 conductor cables. i took a couple standard 2 device cables and trimmed them down to 5 and 2in from the blue connector, popped off the master black connector and crimped it back on the shortened cable with a portable table vise. i did this twice and both cables pass the 80 conductor motherboard test on the cf adapter with flying colors.

Reply 13 of 18, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-05-21, 05:01:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-05-20, 21:49:

Would be impressive considering TX only supports DMA Mode 3 😀

Didn't know 😀 I've jumped over socket 7 back in the day, going from 486 into P2, missed lots of fine details...

@rasz_pl, actually the i430TX chipset supports maximum UDMA 2 mode. But you are correct, this BIOS shows the maximum supported UDMA mode from the drive, not the actual UDMA mode used by the board/BIOS.

@vstrakh, this UDMA 5 display from the Award BIOS on your TX board is a BIOS bug. This bug is the source of the Windows 98 DMA issue.
I found that Windows 98 doesn’t like the BIOS reporting higher UDMA modes on older hardware and refuses to use any DMA mode when set in Device Manager. This results in a fall-back to PIO mode 4 with reduced Harddisk performance.
I’ve tested this on my i430TX board with an 11/1998 Award BIOS and a clean Win98 install, so I was using the standard Microsoft Bus Master IDE drivers.
Indeed the DMA mode would not stick and the atto disk benchmark measured a poor 9MB/s.
Luckily most Award BIOSes from 03/1999 or later have a fix for this UDMA bug so you may need a BIOS update for your board. I’ve tested an updated BIOS with this fix on my TX board and the BIOS now correctly showed UDMA 2 on UDMA 5 or 6 drives. In addition, Win98 allowed to select DMA in device manager and after a reboot I got 30MB/s in atto disk benchmark! 😀

Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 14 of 18, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-05-29, 12:20:

Luckily most Award BIOSes from 03/1999 or later have a fix for this UDMA bug so you may need a BIOS update for your board.

It's a Lucky Star 5I-TX2A, and the the bios is already the latest one (O2-006 from 06/11/1998) as seen on The Retro Web 🙁

Reply 15 of 18, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-05-30, 16:18:
Chkcpu wrote on 2023-05-29, 12:20:

Luckily most Award BIOSes from 03/1999 or later have a fix for this UDMA bug so you may need a BIOS update for your board.

It's a Lucky Star 5I-TX2A, and the the bios is already the latest one (O2-006 from 06/11/1998) as seen on The Retro Web 🙁

To prevent cluttering this thread about CF adapter UDMA issues, I send you a PM about a BIOS update for your board.

Cheers, Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 16 of 18, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can I join this thread for a (relevant) question: how do I know what speed my CF should be seen by the system? Both my Lexar and Sandisk say UDMA 33, with 40 or 80 cables. The MoBo connector BTW has all the pins, the 80 wire cable has a blank on it, does that mean the MoBo (Shuttle 591P, Apollo MVP3) does not support higher speeds?

I'm using one of those CF adaptors which use a card opening at the back for the CF.

Thanks!

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359

Reply 17 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tony359 wrote on 2023-12-28, 20:37:

Can I join this thread for a (relevant) question: how do I know what speed my CF should be seen by the system? Both my Lexar and Sandisk say UDMA 33, with 40 or 80 cables. The MoBo connector BTW has all the pins, the 80 wire cable has a blank on it, does that mean the MoBo (Shuttle 591P, Apollo MVP3) does not support higher speeds?

I'm using one of those CF adaptors which use a card opening at the back for the CF.

Thanks!

from your mainboard manual...

Onboard PCI Bus Master IDE Controller Two Ultra DMA/33 Bus Master IDE Ports supports four IDE devices up to 33 MB/sec IDE transf […]
Show full quote

Onboard PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Two Ultra DMA/33 Bus Master IDE Ports supports four IDE devices up to 33 MB/sec
IDE transfers and supports Enhanced PIO Modes 3 and 4 and Bus Master IDE DMA
Mode 2 devices

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port